Draw the Lewis Dot Diagram of a strange compound

In summary, the Lewis Dot diagram for the newly discovered interstellar species HNC has been determined to be H-N^+ \equiv C^- with a total of 10 valence electrons, as confirmed by multiple attempts and discussions with fellow classmates. The rules for drawing Lewis Dot diagrams are somewhat lacking and do not mention important factors such as formal charges and resonance stability. However, with the assistance of Infinitum's answer from post #7, the correct Lewis Dot diagram was determined and marked correct by the system.
HunterDX77M

Homework Statement

The following species has been discovered in interstellar space: HNC. Draw the Lewis Dot diagram.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried several different configurations (see below), but they were all marked incorrect. Here is the basic method of Lewis Dot diagrams from my textbook:

1) Draw the skeletal structure with all the atoms, the least electronegative in the center. Hydrogens are used as terminal atoms.

2) Count the total number of valence electrons among all the atoms.

3) Begin by creating single bonds between the outer atoms and the central atom. Fill the octets of the outer atoms first.

4) If the central atom doesn't have a full octet, create double or triple bonds with the outer atoms to fill the octet.

So in total for this compound there are 10 valence electrons (1 from H, 5 from N and 4 from C). I've followed these rules, but still can't seem to get it.

Again, all the attached configurations were marked wrong. Please excuse the poor contrast (I have no control over that).

Attachments

• Selection_002.png
    Selection_002.png
    326 bytes · Views: 620
  • Selection_003.png
    Selection_003.png
    384 bytes · Views: 617
  • Selection_004.png
    Selection_004.png
    402 bytes · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
There is maximum of three attachments so here is the fourth:

Attachments

• Selection_005.png
    Selection_005.png
    450 bytes · Views: 531
[itex]H\!-C\!\equiv\!N\!:[/itex] is correct if you ask me.

That's what I thought too, but apparently that's HCN as opposed to HNC.

That's Hydrogen Isocyanide, which is usually written as,

[tex]H - N^+ \equiv C^-[/tex]

Infinitum said:
That's Hydrogen Isocyanide, which is usually written as,

[tex]H - N^+ \equiv C^-[/tex]

How does this use all 10 valence electrons? I only see 4 bonds and no lone pairs.

HunterDX77M said:
How does this use all 10 valence electrons? I only see 4 bonds and no lone pairs.

I forgot to type a lone pair on carbon...:rolleyes:

[tex]H-N^+ \equiv C^-:[/tex]

Thank you. If anyone can verify this, that would be great. I've used up 4 of my 5 attempts at this problem and don't want to mess up my final attempt. :)

Question and the rules you listed are IMHO contradictory:

HunterDX77M said:
1) Draw the skeletal structure with all the atoms, the least electronegative in the center. Hydrogens are used as terminal atoms.

If it is HNC, rule is misleading. I assumed you should follow the rules, hence HCN.

Borek said:
Question and the rules you listed are IMHO contradictory:

If it is HNC, rule is misleading. I assumed you should follow the rules, hence HCN.

I got that from my textbook. If you think it is mistaken, I wouldn't be surprised as I've found plenty of other mistakes in the same book. But I see what you mean. If I wanted the least electronegative in the center, it would have to be carbon instead of nitrogen. But they gave the compound specifically with nitrogen in the center of the formula. If it was simply HCN, I wouldn't have made this post because that is commonly known cyanide compound.

By the way, do you have an opinion on Infinitum's answer above?

HunterDX77M said:
I got that from my textbook. If you think it is mistaken, I wouldn't be surprised as I've found plenty of other mistakes in the same book. But I see what you mean. If I wanted the least electronegative in the center, it would have to be carbon instead of nitrogen. But they gave the compound specifically with nitrogen in the center of the formula. If it was simply HCN, I wouldn't have made this post because that is commonly known cyanide compound.

The rules in the textbook are a bit lacking, IMO. They don't mention formal charges, which is an important aspect in Lewis structures, while determining resonance stability.

Infinitum said:
The rules in the textbook are a bit lacking, IMO. They don't mention formal charges, which is an important aspect in Lewis structures, while determining resonance stability.

Sigh . . . we didn't even learn about formal charges or resonance in class which makes me wonder how my professor expected us to do a problem like this in the first place.

for future reference:

Formal Charge= valence e-'s - nonbonding e-'s - (.5*bonding e-'s)

for HNC:
-Nitrogen F.C.=5-0-4=+1
-Carbon F.C.=4-2-(.5*6)= -1

for NCH:
-Nitrogen F.C.=5-2-(.5*6)=0
-Carbon F.C.=4-0-(.5*8)=0

Borek's answer is most certainly correct. However, as you already tried NCH, I would say HNC-. But I will admit that I hate leaving an open shell on that carbon (not even to mention the unnecessary separation of charges that results).

If anyone is curious, Infinitum's answer from post #7 was marked correct by the system when I submitted it. Thanks for your help everyone!

1. What is a Lewis Dot Diagram?

A Lewis Dot Diagram, also known as an electron dot diagram, is a visual representation of the valence electrons in an atom or molecule. These diagrams use dots to represent the valence electrons and show how they are shared or transferred between atoms in a compound.

2. How do you draw a Lewis Dot Diagram?

To draw a Lewis Dot Diagram, you first need to determine the total number of valence electrons in the compound. Then, you will arrange the atoms in the compound according to their connectivity. Next, you will place the valence electrons around each atom, starting with one dot on each side and then pairing them up as needed. Finally, check to make sure that all atoms have a full octet of electrons, and adjust the placement of electrons if necessary.

3. What is a strange compound?

A strange compound is a term used to describe a compound that may have unusual or unexpected properties, such as a compound that does not follow the typical bonding patterns or has a unique molecular structure. These compounds may be of interest to scientists for their potential uses or for further research and understanding of chemical bonding.

4. Can Lewis Dot Diagrams be used for all compounds?

No, Lewis Dot Diagrams are primarily used for covalent compounds, which are formed by sharing electrons between atoms. Ionic compounds, which involve the transfer of electrons between atoms, are typically not represented by Lewis Dot Diagrams. Additionally, some highly complex or unstable compounds may not have a clear Lewis Dot Diagram representation.

5. What information can be gathered from a Lewis Dot Diagram of a compound?

A Lewis Dot Diagram can provide information about the valence electrons in a compound, including the number and arrangement of electrons around each atom. It can also give insight into the types of bonding present in the compound, such as single, double, or triple bonds. Furthermore, the placement of electrons can indicate the overall shape and polarity of the molecule.