LHC Constrains on Compactified M-theory SUSY particles

In summary: For what I know prevailing prognosis in regard to finding superpartners in the LHC is negative - quite a lot of data has been collected and there is no evidence yet of any particles in the range of masses that would be predicted by the theory. It is possible that the LHC will eventually find particles in this range, but it is more likely that we will not. This would be a huge blow to much of the ongoing theoretical work in the field, including work on string theories.If the LHC does not find particles in this range, it would be difficult to explain the relatively low Higgs mass. It is possible that we would have to change our understanding of the hierarchy problem.
bluecap
I just finished Gordon Kane superb book "String Theory and the Real World" in one sitting. It answered most of my current questions about the field. I need some hard data. He mentioned:

"More generally, where did the predictions for superpartner masses come from? Until recently there were no theories predicting the values of superpartner masses. The arguments based on 'naturalness' are basically like saying he whether tomorrow should be the same as today. The opposite of naturalness is having a theory.

"For example, the compactified M-theory example we will examine below predicts that gluinois will have masses of about 1.5 TeV, and decay patterns implying about 500 gluino production events will have to be produced for each detector before a signal from them can be seen above the backgrounds that can resemble singal events..."... "The compactified M-theory predicts that three kinds of superpartners will be observable if sufficient numbers of collider events are producted at the LHC with its current energy and intensity (gluinos and charged and neutral winos), but that all other superpartners require higher enregy or intensity colliders. More importantly, the prediction is that none of these should have been seen in the LHC data until the run beginning in 2017. Claim they should have been seen would be valid given so called naturalness arguments, but are wrong in actual theories. Many of us think that is a misuse of the idea of naturalness, but it is the fashionable use.

<skipping many chapters>

"In the compacified M-theory all moduli are stabilized. Their generic vacuum values are calculated, as is the lightest modulus mass, which turns out to have to be approximately equal to the gravitino mass. The supersymmetry breaking scale where F-terms are non zero (about 10^14 GeV) and the gravitino mass (about 40 TeV) are calculated. The full soft-breaking Lagrangian is calculated at high and low scales. Squark, selpton and high-scale Higgs sector masses are of the order of the gravitino mass. Running to the low scale brings M(hu) down to about 1 TeV, which is important for electroweak symmetry breaking. An exciting and unexpected discovery was that the masses of the visible sector gauginos (gluinos and winos and binos) have no contribution from the large chiral fermnion F-terms for general reasons, and these have masses near a tera-electronvolt (gluinos about 1.5 TeV, winos and binos about 0.5 TeV). Thus these states are predicted to be observable at LHC during the run beginning in 2016 if it reaches design energy and intensity. The hierarchy problem is generically solved"

My inquiries:

Ok. How is the constrains for the 0.5 TeV winos and binos? Have we not yet reached 0.5 TeV?

Second. Aren't computations that can solve the Hierarchy Problem by proposing superpartners part of
Naturalness?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
I guess you will find this useful, like the last figures 14 and 15...
https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.00152

Does this mean Gordon Kane G2-MSSM winos and bions at 0.5 TeV already excluded? Can someone familiar with it please verify...

Well, we was already discussing that.
Failure to find superpartners at LHC energy range, more and more probable based on available data, would be a vast blow to much of ongoing theoretical work including work on string theories.
We would be at crossroads while trying to explain relatively low Higgs mass in such scenario.

Martin0001 said:
Well, we was already discussing that.
Failure to find superpartners at LHC energy range, more and more probable based on available data, would be a vast blow to much of ongoing theoretical work including work on string theories.
We would be at crossroads while trying to explain relatively low Higgs mass in such scenario.

In figure 14 and 15 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1711.00152.pdf shared by Chrisver in message #2. Has LHC already excluded Kane winos and binos at 0.5 TeV? I'm not sure since ChrisVer or mfb hasn't confirmed. Please check it out and let us know.

Supersymmetry is important to me because I'm trying to gauge if compactified dimensions really make sense and primary or it's just secondary or effective theory to a primary AsD/CFT holographic reality.

bluecap said:
In figure 14 and 15 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1711.00152.pdf shared by Chrisver in message #2. Has LHC already excluded Kane winos and binos at 0.5 TeV? I'm not sure since ChrisVer or mfb hasn't confirmed. Please check it out and let us know.

Supersymmetry is important to me because I'm trying to gauge if compactified dimensions really make sense and primary or it's just secondary or effective theory to a primary AsD/CFT holographic reality.
For what I know prevailing prognosis in regard of finding sparticles in LHC is negative - quite much data collected and no evidence found, on the top of it no candidates in 3-4 sigma range at the moment. Ever heard about "diphoton hangover"?
Below some discussion of prospects. Authors still have some hope:
https://home.cern/about/updates/2017/12/lhc-experiments-highlight-2017-results

Martin0001 said:
For what I know prevailing prognosis in regard of finding sparticles in LHC is negative - quite much data collected and no evidence found, on the top of it no candidates in 3-4 sigma range at the moment. Ever heard about "diphoton hangover"?
Below some discussion of prospects. Authors still have some hope:
https://home.cern/about/updates/2017/12/lhc-experiments-highlight-2017-results

Please teach me how to interpret result. If in the last row the "GGM (bino NLSP) weak prod" is already excluded below 590 GeV. Does it mean Kane G2-MSSM 500GeV bino has been excluded also? If not, what is the difference between Kane G2-MSSM 500GeV bino and that of the GGM (bino NLSP) weak prod in the last row as far as signature etc is concerned? Anyone if Martin0001 is not sure?

S5896R.jpg

Attachments

• S5896R.jpg
    S5896R.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 494
I would say " Next to the lightest bino excluded with at least 95% confidence level up to 590GeV". Experiments from first run (7TeV) were sufficient to deliver this verdict. There is still more hope for next to the lightest wino in discussed energy range because below 115GeV and above 370GeV we have missing/insufficient data, that assuming that such wino was expected in these extended ranges.
Lightest bino should be stable. If it is a WIMP, it would evade LHC direct detection but show up only as "missing energy".
So no, these results are not ruling out G2 MSSM particles in discussed energy range. They could be ligtest sparticle after all. We have to collect more data in search for "missing energy".
However it would be nice if one of professionals (Urs?) confirmed.

Last edited:

1. What is the LHC?

The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland. It is used to study the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern them.

2. What is Compactified M-theory?

Compactified M-theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the different string theories and their associated particles into a single theory. It proposes that the universe has more than the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with, and that these extra dimensions are "compactified" or curled up so small that we cannot detect them with current technology.

3. How does the LHC constrain Compactified M-theory SUSY particles?

The LHC experiments involve colliding particles at incredibly high energies, which can produce new particles predicted by theories like Compactified M-theory. By analyzing the data from these collisions, scientists can look for evidence of these predicted particles and their properties. If the LHC does not observe any evidence of these particles, it can rule out certain versions of Compactified M-theory and place constraints on the parameters and properties of the theory.

4. What is SUSY in Compactified M-theory?

SUSY (Supersymmetry) is a theoretical concept in particle physics that proposes a symmetry between particles with different spin values. In Compactified M-theory, SUSY is a crucial component as it helps to solve certain problems with the theory and allows for the unification of all the different string theories into one framework.

5. Why is it important to study Compactified M-theory SUSY particles at the LHC?

Studying Compactified M-theory SUSY particles at the LHC can provide important insights into the fundamental nature of the universe and potentially help us understand the unification of all the different string theories. It can also provide evidence for or against the existence of these particles and help to refine and improve the theory. Additionally, the discovery of new particles can open up new avenues for research and potentially lead to the development of new technologies.