Lie Algebras and Similarity Transformations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a similarity transformation on the adjoint representation of a Lie algebra to create another n x n representation. The goal is to see if there is any advantage to using this similarity transformation representation over the adjoint representation. The discovery of this similarity transformation was unexpected and has been briefly mentioned in some texts. It has been used in some examples where the structure factors change under the transformation. The conversation also mentions the use of the Cartan-Weyl basis for both representations.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
Say we have an adjoint representation (specifically in n x n matrix format) of a Lie algebra. I have noted that we can create another n x n representation using a similarity transformation on the adjoint rep. I know I haven't discovered anything new but none of my sources mention this. Is there any advantage to using a similarity transformation rep over the adjoint rep?

-Dan

PS: I should perhaps also mention that the adjoint rep is a Cartan-Weyl basis and the similarity transformation rep is as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm reading this correctly, what you've done is made an equivalent representation by changing basis from the Cartan-Weyl basis. What was the goal exactly? What kind of result are you looking for?

Last edited:
Euge said:
If I'm reading this correctly, what you've done is made an equivalent representation by changing basis from the Cartan-Weyl basis. What was the goal exactly? What kind of result are you looking for?
A little while ago I was having some difficulty with basis changes for the generators of a Lie algebra. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and in the process of fixing my flawed proofs and ideas I was working with the adjoint representation and discovered the similarity transformation property. For some reason I hadn't expected to find more than one n x n (nontrivial basis change) representation of the Lie algebra. So I was just checking to see if the similarity idea had any particular use.

Oddly enough I did find examples of this today in a Physics text and realized that one of my Lie algebra texts did actually make a brief mention of this for su(2), though in this particular example the structure factors do change under the similarity transformation. (The similarity transformation didn't use the adjoint rep for su(2) but was enough to satisfy my curiosity.)

-Dan

Related to Lie Algebras and Similarity Transformations

1. What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that studies the properties of vector spaces and their associated operations. It is a type of algebra that focuses on the concept of symmetry and transformations.

2. What are similarity transformations?

Similarity transformations are a type of transformation that preserves the shape and structure of an object while changing its orientation, size, or position. In the context of Lie algebras, similarity transformations are used to study the properties of vector spaces and their associated operations.

3. How are Lie algebras and similarity transformations related?

Lie algebras and similarity transformations are closely related as similarity transformations are used to study the properties of Lie algebras. In fact, the structure of a Lie algebra can be completely described by its corresponding similarity transformations.

4. What are some applications of Lie algebras and similarity transformations?

Lie algebras and similarity transformations have a wide range of applications in both mathematics and physics. They are used to study symmetries in systems, such as in quantum mechanics, and to understand the behavior of physical systems, such as in fluid dynamics.

5. What are some important theorems in the study of Lie algebras and similarity transformations?

Some important theorems in this field include the Lie-Kolchin theorem, which states that every finite-dimensional Lie algebra can be decomposed into a direct sum of simple Lie algebras, and the Lie-Cartan theorem, which gives a classification of all finite-dimensional complex simple Lie algebras.