Life vs Entropy: Investigating an Unexpected Paradox

In summary: But if @jbriggs444's pig lived in a bubble, the entropy in that bubble would be dropping as it grew. That's not a violation because it is... an open system.
brajesh
I understand entropy as a movement from order to less order and that the universe's entropy is increasing.

So I was wondering, life takes molecules and organizes them into organisms, so isn't life a reversal of entropy?

Science news on Phys.org
brajesh said:
Summary:: Is life reversing entropy?

isn't life a reversal of entropy?
Yes. Do you think that is a problem? If so, why?

Likes 256bits and russ_watters
Dale said:
Yes. Do you think that is a problem? If so, why?

I thought/read that entropy could only increase?

brajesh said:
The entropy of an isolated system can only increase. But there's nothing wrong with the entropy in one place decreasing as long as it increases more somewhere else.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz, BillTre, 256bits and 2 others
brajesh said:
It is important to pay attention to the details. That is only true for isolated systems. Living systems that are isolated immediately cease to decrease their entropy and soon die.

Last edited:
Likes brajesh
Interesting.

So my big question is this.

The mass or amount of lifeforms has been increasing since life first formed.
Assume we start colonizing and terraforming other planets.
And then other solar systems.
And then other galaxies.
Until life is everywhere.
Wouldn't the entropy of the universe now have decreased?

brajesh said:
No. If the universe was filled with nothing but life, what would it eat?

Living things are not closed systems. They decrease their own entropy, but by doing the things living things do they increase the entropy of the universe.

Likes PhDeezNutz, BillTre, alan123hk and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
No. If the universe was filled with nothing but life, what would it eat?

Living things are not closed systems. They decrease their own entropy, but by doing the things living things do they increase the entropy of the universe.

So how about at the point where 1/2 the universe is alive and 1/2 dead...the entropy would still be a lot less than today, right? So it would have decreased at least to that point in time.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
brajesh said:
So how about at the point where 1/2 the universe is alive and 1/2 dead...the entropy would still be a lot less than today, right? So it would have decreased at least to that point in time.
No. In order for the life to grow, it has to eat!

...and/or breathe, poop, photosynthesize.

I think you're just confusing yourself by creating a nonsensical scenario to try to support your preconceived incorrect understanding. Forget that -- start simple. Consider the lifecycle of a single tree. Then you can multiplex it.

Likes Vanadium 50
brajesh said:
The mass or amount of lifeforms has been increasing since life first formed.
Assume we start colonizing and terraforming other planets.
And then other solar systems.
And then other galaxies.
Life being "everywhere", doesn't imply that everything is alive. Colonizing a solar system doesn't make its star alive.

Likes Dale and 256bits
brajesh said:
So how about at the point where 1/2 the universe is alive and 1/2 dead...the entropy would still be a lot less than today, right?

That sounds like you are thinking about matter only and forget the waste heat. Even if you turn all existing matter into life, the total entropy would still be increased.

brajesh said:
No. The decrease in entropy provided by life is minuscule compared to the entropy increase from the sun.

Let me be super clear: life as we know it in no way whatsoever comes anywhere near violating the second law of thermodynamics. In fact, it is many many orders of magnitude away from it.

Likes BillTre
One data point is the pig. At some points in their life cycle, the feed to gain ratio for a pig is three to one. That is, it takes three pounds of feed (plus some water and air) to allow the pig to gain one pound of weight.

So, naively, you start with three pounds of corn over here and end with one pound of pig and two pounds of manure over there. Entropy has increased. The entropy in one pound of pig plus two pounds of manure is more than was in the three pounds of corn.

You can never turn half of the universe into pig because you'll inevitably have two thirds of it end up as manure.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, artis, Nugatory and 5 others
So from reading everyone's responses ---> @russ_watters @Dale @jbriggs444 @DrStupid @Nugatory , it seems the mistake I'm making is that I am thinking that entropy stays constant while life increases.

What's really happening is that for "life to live" it actually creates more entropy to live, than it reduces by living?

Have I finally got this right?

Likes russ_watters
brajesh said:
What's really happening is that for "life to live" it actually creates more entropy to live, than it reduces by living?

Have I finally got this right?
Yep!

Something else to make sure you understand is closed vs open systems. If @jbriggs444's pig lived in a bubble, the entropy in that bubble would be dropping as it grew. That's not a violation because it is not a closed system; food/water and air have to be continuously fed into the bubble and waste materials (and their associated entropy) removed from the bubble.

Likes BillTre and brajesh
brajesh said:
Yes. Substantially more

Likes brajesh
thank you all, sorry for my stubbornness in not understanding initially

Likes BillTre and berkeman
I do not think its that simple, but am above my pay grade here, so any help / corrections appreciated. Chemical reactions can either increase or decrease entropy. H20 is lower entropy than separate H and O atoms, and generally the entropy declines as you go from gas to liquid to solid. Complex organic molecules reduce entropy as they are lower energy states than their respective components. Cant find a great reference, but it appears that the basic photosynthesis reactions result in a decline in entropy. So don't plants use the sun's energy to accomplish a reduction of entropy? Has the overall entropy of the Earth increased or decreased since life began 4 billion years ago?

Also Gibbs free energy equations states
1613752045767.png

So a marginal joule of energy coming in from the sun (G) could result in an overall decline in entropy in the Biosphere if the change in enthalpy is small enough?

BWV said:
So don't plants use the sun's energy to accomplish a reduction of entropy?
Plants are manifestly not closed systems. They use the sun's energy. Also, less obviously, they radiate waste heat into space. The sun provides the energy. The difference in temperature between sun and space provides a dump for the entropy.

You cannot grow plants without the sun. You can also not grow them if there is sun on all sides. They bake instead.

Likes Dale
BWV said:
So don't plants use the sun's energy to accomplish a reduction of entropy?
Yes. And an enormous amount of entropy is generated from absorbing sunlight at several thousand K and re-radiating it at a few hundred K. Life's small decrease in entropy is utterly negligible in comparison.

• Skeptical
Likes madness
jbriggs444 said:
Plants are manifestly not closed systems. They use the sun's energy. Also, less obviously, they radiate waste heat into space. The sun provides the energy. The difference in temperature between sun and space provides a dump for the entropy.

You cannot grow plants without the sun. You can also not grow them if there is sun on all sides. They bake instead.

Right, never argued that it is a closed system, question is whether plants use the energy coming in from the sun to reduce the overall entropy on the planet

Dale said:
Yes. And an enormous amount of entropy is generated from absorbing sunlight at several thousand K and re-radiating it at a few hundred K. Life's small decrease in entropy is utterly negligible in comparison.

Isn't the absorption of sunlight into the heat of organisms an increase in enthalpy? so per Gibbs, if the marginal increase in enthalpy is lower than the marginal energy input from the sun, entropy will decrease?

BWV said:
H20 is lower entropy than separate H and O atoms
Careful... that’s not the right way of thinking about it. We start with a flask containing a stoichiometric mixture of 8 parts (by weight) oxygen to 1 part of hydrogen. They react and we end up with hot water vapor, shards of flask flying every which way, and a bunch of heat energy spread around the surroundings. Entropy has increased in this process.

Likes brajesh and BWV
BWV said:
Right, never argued that it is a closed system, question is whether plants use the energy coming in from the sun to reduce the overall entropy on the planet
The Earth as a whole is not a closed system either. For the same reason. It is not clear to me whether the entropy of the planet is increasing or decreasing.

But yes, one can grow coal deposits over eons, thereby decreasing the entropy of the planet. No second law violation because no closed system.

Likes BWV
brajesh said:
Summary:: Is life reversing entropy?

I understand entropy as a movement from order to less order and that the universe's entropy is increasing.

So I was wondering, life takes molecules and organizes them into organisms, so isn't life a reversal of entropy?
No. Life is an organized disorder. It increases organization but decreases order. Decreasing order means increasing entropy. See the appendix in https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.08341.

1. What is life and entropy?

Life refers to the characteristic that distinguishes living organisms from non-living objects, including the ability to grow, reproduce, and respond to stimuli. Entropy, on the other hand, is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that states that all systems tend towards increasing entropy over time.

2. How are life and entropy related?

Life and entropy are often seen as opposing forces, as life requires energy to maintain order and decrease entropy, while entropy naturally increases over time. However, life also contributes to the overall increase of entropy in the universe, as living organisms consume energy and produce waste, ultimately contributing to the overall disorder of the system.

3. What is the paradox between life and entropy?

The paradox arises when we consider that life, which requires energy to maintain order, is able to thrive in an environment where entropy is constantly increasing. This seems counterintuitive, as the second law of thermodynamics suggests that life should not be able to exist in a constantly increasing entropy system.

4. How is this paradox investigated?

Scientists investigate this paradox by studying the mechanisms and processes that allow life to maintain order in the face of increasing entropy. This includes studying the role of energy and energy transfer in living organisms, as well as the ability of living systems to adapt and evolve in changing environments.

5. What are the implications of this paradox?

The paradox between life and entropy has implications for our understanding of the origins and sustainability of life on Earth, as well as the potential for life to exist in other parts of the universe. It also raises questions about the role of energy and entropy in shaping the development of living organisms and ecosystems.