Lift of a helium spherical balloon

In summary: So in a hypothetical scenario where there is no subtle pressure disparity between the top and bottom of a balloon, it would not rise. This is due to Archimedes Principle, which states that an object will float when the weight of the displaced fluid is equal to the weight of the object. Therefore, the weight of the helium inside the balloon must be greater than the weight of the air it displaces in order for the balloon to rise.
ayueh1007
So I was pondering this question: On a conceptual level, how does a perfectly spherical helium balloon rise?

I understand that the density of helium gas is lower than that of our atmospheric composition of gases, but that is not giving the full perspective for me. On a molecular level, I feel like it WOULDN'T rise (despite my experiences in person). My logic behind this is:

-A perfect spherical balloon has no net gas collisions with its container, as they are happening in all directions with equal force.
-There is a pressure disparity between the helium and oxygen, but the atmosphere would be pushing equally over the entire surface of the balloon. No net pressure would imply that lift is not possible
-Gravity is the only outside force that interacts with the spherical balloon (with no net pressure/molecular collisions). Thus, there is only a net downward force.

I'm positive that the gas density disparity between helium and our atmosphere relates to this, but how does that work on a molecular scale?

Physics news on Phys.org
ayueh1007 said:
...but the atmosphere would be pushing equally over the entire surface of the balloon. No net pressure would imply that lift is not possible

Clearly this is not true. The higher you go the lower the pressure is. You experience this when you climb a mountain. There is more pressure on the bottom than the top. You experience this when you dive into a deep pool. This is the origin of buoyancy.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pbuoy.html

edit - maybe this picture is helpful too,
http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107/AirWeBreathe/AirPressureGradientForces.jpg

Ah, thank you so much. That link really helped me.

But theoretically, in a bizarre world where there is no subtle pressure disparity between the top and bottom of a balloon, it would not rise?

Balloons rise not because of pressure but due to the difference in the weight of the helium inside the balloon envelope and the weight of air displaced by the balloon.

Ultimately, balloons rise due to Archimedes Principle.

ayueh1007 said:
Ah, thank you so much. That link really helped me.

But theoretically, in a bizarre world where there is no subtle pressure disparity between the top and bottom of a balloon, it would not rise?

With no pressure disparity what direction would you define as "rise"?

In a spacecraft either orbiting or far from a gravitational field a balloon would not rise, as you deduced. Gravity creates the pressure gradient which gives us buoyancy. No pressure gradient, no buoyancy.

ayueh1007 said:
There is a pressure disparity between the helium and oxygen, but the atmosphere would be pushing equally over the entire surface of the balloon. No net pressure would imply that lift is not possible

Hey cool, it's an example of loss of accuracy when subtracting two numbers that are very nearly the same. The pressure at the top of the balloon and the bottom are very nearly the same. The balloon can do that subtraction very accurately indeed, getting the net difference in up and down forces.

Computer programmers are familiar with this subtraction thing. Floating point numbers in computers have finite accuracy. So if you have two numbers that are different by only a very small amount, and you subtract them, you lose accuracy. If you wind up doing that a few times you can get results that are pretty much of no accuracy at all.

SteamKing said:
Balloons rise not because of pressure but due to the difference in the weight of the helium inside the balloon envelope and the weight of air displaced by the balloon.

Ultimately, balloons rise due to Archimedes Principle.

Buoyancy is caused by a pressure gradient. If there is no pressure gradient in the displaced fluid, there will be no buoyancy.

1. What causes a helium balloon to rise?

A helium balloon rises due to the principle of buoyancy. Helium is less dense than air, so when the balloon is filled with helium, it becomes buoyant and rises in the surrounding air.

2. How does the size of a helium balloon affect its lift?

The larger the helium balloon, the greater its lift. This is because a larger balloon can hold more helium, making it more buoyant and able to lift more weight.

3. Can the temperature affect the lift of a helium balloon?

Yes, temperature can affect the lift of a helium balloon. As the temperature of the surrounding air changes, the density of the air also changes, which can impact the buoyancy of the balloon. For example, a cold air temperature can cause the balloon to shrink and lose some of its lift.

4. How high can a helium balloon go?

The maximum height a helium balloon can reach is dependent on various factors such as the size of the balloon, amount of helium, and atmospheric conditions. However, most helium balloons can reach heights of up to 9,000 meters (30,000 feet).

5. What happens when a helium balloon reaches its maximum height?

When a helium balloon reaches its maximum height, it will eventually burst due to the decreasing air pressure and the expansion of the gas inside the balloon. The balloon will then fall back to the ground or continue to float at a lower altitude until all the helium is released.