Lifting 40 lbs with garage door opener

• Thread starter trickyrick0465
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary: So if you want to use the garage door opener to lift something, you would need to get something else to do the lifting.
trickyrick0465
I have a garage door opener I want to use to lift 40lbs. I've read that without the spring assist it could manage 27lbs max lifting power. If I played around with the sprocket that's going on the shaft attached to the 40lbs say double or triple the diameter that's whats on the opener would that work.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe, I guess. It's not really clear to me what your design is though. Maybe a sketch or a detailed description would get you useful answers.

“Give me a firm place to stand and a lever and I can move the Earth.” - Archimedes

To lift more weight, you need a smaller chain drive sprocket. That would create other problems. The sprocket is already about as small as will fit in the space available. And the bearing supporting that sprocket is the cheapest bearing that barely lasts long enough. Pulling harder shortens the life of that bearing.

A better approach is to use a pulley to lift your load. Like this:
Pulley.jpg

Then the opener only has to pull 20 lbs to lift the 40 lb load.

Likes Spinnor and Lnewqban
Can you devise a counterweight to tension the chain in lieu of the spring?

This is what I had in mind the sprocket on the garage door opener would turn a sprocket welded to a shaft that would have the 40lb weight on it.
IMG_20230108_0001.jpg

You will likely only get so many turns of the sprocket on the opener. They are made to lift only so far. Gearing it down may not give you the travel you want.

My old doors are quite different, with a chain driven linear actuator overhead and linear countersprings. So my design would be different.

The chain is a loop. I'm going to rewire the limit switches it only needs to travel about 20 inches. I'm lifting a tv into a box that's in the Attic so I can have a hideaway tv in the bedroom ceiling
Averagesupernova said:
You will likely only get so many turns of the sprocket on the opener. They are made to lift only so far. Gearing it down may not give you the travel you want.

So I'm guessing you want the convenience of a remote control and motor mechanism all in one package? I would shy away from that myself. That's just me. I would use a small linear actuator and code up something to control it that can communicate with Bluetooth. Use it with your phone.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Do you have free space in the attic? There is no reason you could not counterweight the TV so that only a few ounces of external force would be required for any motion.

Likes Nik_2213 and gmax137
I wanted to keep everything inside the top of the box I was going to insulate it as I'm in the north. I guess I could have one cable coming through a small hole in the top. Do you think this would be ok (see attached) the cable comes through the box and raps 3 or 4 times around a reel or spool and then to the counterweight? The motor drives the shaft the reel is on. Or would it be better to have counterweight directly onto TV (weight)

Attachments

• TV@.jpg
    TV@.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 74
Do you really need motorized operation? If you have room for a counterweight, just make the counterweight the same weight as the TV. Then a one finger push will move it up, and a one finger pull will bring it down. Friction will keep it wherever you leave it - up or down. If you really need remote operation, a stick to push it up and a string to pull it down.

Likes berkeman and jack action
No your right in your case I would not but theres something for saying "OK Google turn off TV" and the TV retracts up into the ceiling.

If I did it this way can I assume that there would be no weight on the garage door opener

Attachments

• pullies.jpg
    pullies.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 85
Likes Lnewqban
trickyrick0465 said:
No your right in your case I would not but theres something for saying "OK Google turn off TV" and the TV retracts up into the ceiling.
A counterweight would still be useful - it would take a lot of load off the motor, only having to get the weights moving, not actually lift dead weight. You get two birds with one stone.

Likes Lnewqban
trickyrick0465 said:
If I did it this way can I assume that there would be no weight on the garage door opener
Right, the opener deals only with the friction in the system. Very similar to the "sash weights" in windows.

gmax137 said:
Very similar to the "sash weights" in windows.
As well as a properly set up garage door with opener.

I hate to be such a downer but have you thought about the noise a garage door opener will make? Unless you string a cable/rope to the far end of an attached garage to remote mount the opener or something I think you will have more noise than you want when it operates. More than I would care to have anyway

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913
Averagesupernova said:
As well as a properly set up garage door with opener.
Very true!

Also most openers are far more powerful than you require. Tell your cat not to sleep un the TV.

• Haha
Likes Averagesupernova
Perhaps look at how powered 'vanishing' loft-access ladders work ?

Snag with powered whatsits such as car windows is the necessity for safety sensors and systems, torque-limiting clutch etc to be sure, to be sure: Due Care, Please ??

There's the other approach that uses single or double 'cantilever' diamond, like a big car-jack. Think inverted access platform. Mechanism provides discreet stability for hoisting TV's frame. The 'worm' drive-thread provides a lot of final torque, decoupling system from eg geared brushless motor...

I've seen similar for pop-up projection screens, cantilevers replacing legacy single or double telescopic rams...

1. Can a garage door opener lift 40 lbs?

Yes, most modern garage door openers are designed to lift up to 40 lbs. However, it is important to check the specifications of your specific garage door opener to ensure it is capable of lifting this weight.

2. Is it safe to lift 40 lbs with a garage door opener?

As long as the garage door opener is properly installed and maintained, it is safe to lift 40 lbs with it. However, it is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer.

3. Can I lift more than 40 lbs with a garage door opener?

No, it is not recommended to exceed the weight limit specified by the manufacturer of your garage door opener. Doing so can put strain on the motor and other components, potentially causing damage or malfunction.

4. What type of garage door opener is best for lifting 40 lbs?

There are various types of garage door openers available, including chain drive, belt drive, and screw drive. Any of these types can lift 40 lbs, but it is important to choose one that is appropriate for the weight and size of your garage door. It is also recommended to choose a garage door opener from a reputable brand for better quality and reliability.

5. Are there any additional accessories needed to lift 40 lbs with a garage door opener?

In most cases, no additional accessories are needed to lift 40 lbs with a garage door opener. However, if your garage door is particularly heavy or has special features, you may need to purchase additional accessories such as a reinforcement kit or high-tension springs to ensure safe and efficient lifting.