Lifting an elephant with hydraulics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using Pascal's principle to create a hypothetical hydraulic system that would allow a person's weight to lift an elephant. After some calculations, it is determined that the person would need to exert a 100:1 force ratio in order to lift the elephant, and this could be achieved through a platform and piston system. The conversation also touches on the conservation of energy and practical considerations for such a system.
fando1234
Hey guys, I'm a super amateur at physics, but I occasionally like to calculate random problems that pop into my head.

Today I was thinking about pascal and hydraulics, and wondered if I could devise a (hypothetical) hydraulic system that would allow my weight to lift an elephant.

I want to see if this is correct... or way off...

I figured I could use Pascals idea that the ratio of Area (in) / Area (out) would be equal to Force (in) / Force (out)Total back of a napkin calculation but... I researched an elephants weight to be 6000kg (or 60,000 N) - African elephant of course...

My weights about 80 kg (800 N)

The rough area of the platform an elephant could fit on is 3m x 2m (6m^2)

Feeding this into my equation I got that I would need my side of the piston to be about 0.08 m^2 for my weight to equal the elephants.

Could this be achieved by having a platform I stand on (that is the same area as my feet together) which is then attached to a 0.08m^2 piston... or does it not work that way... Also, if anyone can explain why this whole thing works on a deeper level - like conservation laws and all that, I'd be really curious, as I find this whole system really counter intuitive.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your numbers are about right (but next time you take on a thought experiment like this, either assume an 8000 kg elephant or plan on sticking 20 kg of lead in your pockets, because 100:1 is easier to calculate with than 75:1). There may be practical problems in building a two-meter by three-meter hydraulic cylinder, but the idea is sound in principle.

To lift the elephant one centimeter you will have to push your platform down 75 centimeters; this follows because the volume of fluid pushed into the chamber under the elephant will be equal to the volume of fluid displaced from the chamber under you. Thus, you will be exerting a smaller force over a longer distance, just as if you were using a long lever to lift the elephant.

Thanks! Glad I wasn't totally of the mark. Yup, that's the part that wasn't making sense to me re displacing equal volume of water. 75 cm to go up 1 cm for the elephant makes a lot of sense though

Thanks for your help :)

This is basically how a hydraulic car jack works.

1. How does hydraulic power work?

Hydraulic power works by using pressurized fluid to transfer force from one point to another. This force is created by pumping the fluid through a system of pipes and cylinders, which allows the fluid to push against a larger surface area and generate enough force to lift heavy objects.

2. Is it possible to lift an elephant with hydraulics?

Yes, it is possible to lift an elephant with hydraulics. Hydraulic systems have the ability to generate a tremendous amount of force, and with the right equipment and design, they can lift extremely heavy objects like elephants.

3. What are the key components of a hydraulic system?

The key components of a hydraulic system include a pump, which pressurizes the fluid, a reservoir to hold the fluid, valves to control the flow of the fluid, and cylinders to convert the fluid's pressure into mechanical force. Other components may include filters, hoses, and motors.

4. How much weight can a hydraulic system lift?

The weight that a hydraulic system can lift depends on several factors, including the size and strength of the components, the fluid pressure and flow rate, and the design of the system. A well-designed hydraulic system can lift thousands of pounds, making it suitable for lifting an elephant.

5. What are the advantages of using hydraulics for lifting heavy objects?

Hydraulic systems have several advantages for lifting heavy objects. They can generate a large amount of force with relatively small components, they can be easily controlled and adjusted, and they can lift heavy objects smoothly and evenly. Additionally, hydraulic systems are often more compact and efficient compared to other methods of lifting heavy objects.