Lifting container with low pressure that keeps lid on

In summary, the question asks for the maximum mass of air that can be in a 2 litre cooking pot with a diameter of 20 cm and a mass of 300g, while still being able to lift the lid and have the pot move with it. The surrounding pressure is given as 0.9 bar and the temperature is 19°C. Using the equations pV=mRT and F = Fp + FG, the net force of air pressure on the container can be determined. It is important to note that the mass of 300g refers to the mass of the container without the lid. The diameter of the container can be used to calculate the force on the inside of the lid, but the pressure forces on the sides
Vova

Homework Statement

The question is:

A 2 litre cooking pot (diameter: 20 cm, mass: 300g) is closed with a tight fitting lid, and contains only air. What mass of air can be maximally in the pot so that you can lift the lid, and the pot will move with the lid? Assume the surrounding pressure is p0 = 0.9 bar, and the temperature is 19°C.

Homework Equations

pV=mRT
F = Fp + FG[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on the free body diagram for this question. I'm thinking that if the pressure inside the pot is lower than the outside, the lid will stay on as the pot is lifted (obviously). I think this might be the force equation:

F = Fp + FG

where F = force upwards on lid, Fp = force of lower air pressure inside pulling down on lid, and FG = force down on (mass of pot + mass of air) by gravity.

First of all, I'm not sure if that makes any sense. Does it take extra force upwards to compensate for the force pulling down on the lid due to negative air pressure/force pushing down on the lid by the greater outside pressure? Also, how can I figure out any of the forces if the mass of air is unknown? I just don't know where to start and I can find no relevant examples that explain this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let C be the container, excluding the lid. To simplify, assume the container is a vertical cylinder and the lid is the whole of the top. What is the net force vector of air pressure on C? To figure that out, consider these sub-questions:

Can we ignore pressure forces on the sides? Why?
What is the net force vector from air pressure on the bottom of C?

Having figured that out, imagine holding the lid so that the container just dangles still and upright in the air. In the light of the answers to the previous sub-questions, what is the maximum weight of C such that it will not fall down?

By the way, the mass of 300g in the question must be the mass excluding the lid, ie the mass of C.

Supplementary question: They have given us the diameter of C. Do we need it? Why/why not?

Likes Simon Bridge
andrewkirk said:
What is the net force vector of air pressure on C? To figure that out, consider these sub-questions:

Can we ignore pressure forces on the sides? Why?
What is the net force vector from air pressure on the bottom of C?

1. The net force of air pressure on the container is pointing inwards? Since the pressure on the inside is lower than the outside?
2. The pressure on the sides of C does not affect its buoyancy in air?
3. The negative pressure inside C means that the force vector points upwards from the bottom, thus making it more buoyant?

andrewkirk said:
In the light of the answers to the previous sub-questions, what is the maximum weight of C such that it will not fall down?

By the way, the mass of 300g in the question must be the mass excluding the lid, ie the mass of C.

Supplementary question: They have given us the diameter of C. Do we need it? Why/why not?

4. I'm not sure about this one.
5. The diameter of C is used to calculate the force on the surface area of the inside of the lid, with F = P*A.

Am I on the right track? I'm still pretty clueless.

1. How does lifting a container with low pressure keep the lid on?

When a container is filled with low pressure, there is less air inside pushing against the lid. This creates a vacuum effect, causing the lid to stay sealed and preventing it from lifting off.

2. What is the purpose of using low pressure to lift a container?

The use of low pressure allows for a strong and secure seal between the lid and the container. This is especially useful for transporting or storing liquids or fragile objects that need to be kept in a controlled environment.

3. Can any type of container be lifted with low pressure?

In theory, any type of container can be lifted with low pressure. However, the container must be able to withstand the pressure difference between the inside and outside in order to prevent collapsing or breaking.

4. Is there a limit to how much weight can be lifted with low pressure?

The amount of weight that can be lifted with low pressure depends on the size and strength of the container. Generally, the larger and more durable the container, the more weight it can lift. However, it is important to always follow weight limits and safety guidelines.

5. How can I release the low pressure and remove the lid from the container?

To release the low pressure and remove the lid from the container, you can either open a valve or puncture a small hole in the container to equalize the pressure. This will allow the lid to be easily lifted off.