Light and Redshift in material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of redshift in astrophysics and its relation to light passing through a dense medium such as glass. While light may appear to take a different path when entering a dense medium, the path is actually straight when the beam is perpendicular to the surface. However, the speed of light is slower inside the medium, resulting in a change in frequency and wavelength. This can lead to a blueshift instead of a redshift.
Link
I have been reading in astrophysics that when light escapes a massive object its being slowed down by its gravity, but since it can't be slowed down its being redshifted. now in our high school physics books it says that light takes a diffrent path when its being slowed down when entering aother more dense medium like glass. Judging from this, is it possible to achieve redshift if the light passes through a very thick layer of glass?

Science news on Phys.org
There is a Principle of Least Time in optics that you are probably thinking of when you say that "light takes a different path..." But if you have a light beam pointed straight at a flat piece of glass (i.e. the beam is perpendicular to the surface of the glass), the path the beam takes through the glass does not deviate from a straight line, so what you said about taking a differenent path is not quite universally true. Even in my example of the perpendicular beam of light, the light's speed is less than c inside the glass. That means that the product frequency * wavelength must be lower for the beam inside the glass than outside the glass. And I am thinking the frequency does not change, so that the wavelength is smaller inside the glass than outside the glass. That actually amounts to a blueshift, not a redshift.

Somebody will correct me if I am screwing up on this.

Related to Light and Redshift in material?

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of particles called photons, which have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

2. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in three main ways: reflection, absorption, and transmission. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, absorption occurs when light is absorbed by the material, and transmission occurs when light passes through the material.

3. What is redshift?

Redshift is a phenomenon where the wavelength of light appears to be stretched due to the relative motion between the source of light and the observer. This results in the light appearing more red, as longer wavelengths correspond to lower frequencies.

4. What causes redshift in material?

The most common cause of redshift in material is the Doppler effect, which occurs when the source of light is moving away from the observer. This causes the wavelength of the light to appear longer, resulting in a redshift.

5. How is redshift used in astronomy?

Redshift is used in astronomy to measure the distance and velocity of objects in the universe. By analyzing the redshift of light emitted by celestial bodies, scientists can determine how fast they are moving and how far away they are from Earth.