Light beams and their reflection

elou
TL;DR Summary
Pointing a laser beam obliquely at a mirror, or even next to the mirror, missing the mirror altogether, the mirror will show the glowing head of the laser in the darkness, just like it would show everything facing the mirror in a lit space.
Smoke spray makes the beam visible, but nothing can be made visible that links the laser to its reflection on the mirror.
I must add, that, when used in a lit space, or in daylight, spraying before the mirror does not make any light rays visible. Is it simply a matter of light scattering?
Also, I am not sure whether this question belongs here or in classical physics.

Science news on Phys.org
What does "the mirror will show the glowing head of the laser in the darkness, just like it would show everything facing the mirror in a lit space" mean ? It is unclear.
Is this an "ordinary" glass mirror aluminized on the back surface? Could you be seeing a reflection from the front surface? Perhaps multiple internal reflections?

Are you talking about virtual images? It is hard to tell what you are talking about

Likes hutchphd
No, simple reflections. Standing in front of the mirror and shining a laser beam. You can always make the beam visible with smoke. But not the path from the laser to the reflection of the mirror. When the path of the beam is made visible, it appears of course also on the mirror.
edit: the reflection of the beam also stands alone with nothing linking it to the laser.

Do you mean, even if you don't point a laser at a mirror, you can see light from the laser device in the mirror? Maybe, if the muzzle of the laser emits light apart from the beam. You often get glow from, e.g., a HeNe laser medium

Ibix said:
Do you mean, even if you don't point a laser at a mirror, you can see light from the laser device in the mirror? Maybe, if the muzzle of the laser emits light apart from the beam. You often get glow from, e.g., a HeNe laser medium
Possible. But I still cannot explain how I can see the laser beam in the smoke, and its reflection on the mirror, even though there is nothing visible linking the beam made visible, and its reflection on the mirror.

edit: if you point the laser at the mirror, you see of course the oint of impact, but also the reflection of the glowing element. But even if you make the path to the mirror visible with smoke, still nothing connects the glowing head with its reflection.

elou said:
But I still cannot explain how I can see the laser beam in the smoke,
Scattering off the smoke particles.
elou said:
and its reflection on the mirror,
Scattering off the smoke particles reflected in the mirror.

Likes russ_watters
Ibix said:
Scattering off the smoke particles.

Scattering off the smoke particles reflected in the mirror.
That is what I would think also. But the scattered particles have to come together again, and shouldn't smoke then make them visible?

hutchphd said:
What does "the mirror will show the glowing head of the laser in the darkness, just like it would show everything facing the mirror in a lit space" mean ? It is unclear.
Is this an "ordinary" glass mirror aluminized on the back surface? Could you be seeing a reflection from the front surface? Perhaps multiple internal reflections?
Normal everyday mirror. In fact, a bathroom mirror. No multiple internal reflections.

elou said:
But the scattered particles have to come together again, and shouldn't smoke then make them visible?
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

This is fairly simple. Light comes out of the laser. It bounces off a smoke particle. It travels to your eye. You see it coming from the direction of the smoke particle it bounced off.

Likes Vanadium 50
elou said:
No, simple reflections. Standing in front of the mirror and shining a laser beam. You can always make the beam visible with smoke. But not the path from the laser to the reflection of the mirror. When the path of the beam is made visible, it appears of course also on the mirror.
edit: the reflection of the beam also stands alone with nothing linking it to the laser.
I think that you are talking about a virtual image.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_image

“A plane mirror forms a virtual image positioned behind the mirror. Although the rays of light seem to come from behind the mirror, light from the source only exists in front of the mirror.”

elou said:
there is nothing visible linking the beam made visible, and its reflection on the mirror
The beam made visible literally intersects its reflection in the mirror at the mirror. So in what way is there nothing visible linking them?

Ibix said:
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

This is fairly simple. Light comes out of the laser. It bounces off a smoke particle. It travels to your eye. You see it coming from the direction of the smoke particle it bounced off.
It would make sense if the smoke did not show exclusively the path of the beam. There is also nothing linking me with the laser that the smoke made visible. The beam, and nothing else.
I have been puzzled by this phenomenon a very long time, asked the magazine Nature since they offer the possibility to ask questions, and I never got a response.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
An "ordinary" mirror has two polished surfaces, one of which is "silvered" Each surface will reflect light. But, like everybody else, I know not what you are trying to say here. Sorry.

Likes Vanadium 50
elou said:
It would make sense if the smoke did not show exclusively the path of the beam
Why would the smoke be bright where there isn't anything illuminating it?

Likes russ_watters
Dale said:
I think that you are talking about a virtual image.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_image

“A plane mirror forms a virtual image positioned behind the mirror. Although the rays of light seem to come from behind the mirror, light from the source only exists in front of the mirror.”

The beam made visible literally intersects its reflection in the mirror at the mirror. So in what way is there nothing visible linking them?
You can see the path the beam is following, say, somewhere at the right of the mirror. When I spray smoke, I see the beam traversing the smoke, and I see the reflection of the beam traversing the smoke on the mirror. Nut there is nothing linking the visible beam in the smoke, and the reflection on the mirror.
I know it's weird, but that is easily verified. All you need is a regular mirror, a laser pen and a can of smoke spray.

Ibix said:
Why would the smoke be bright where there isn't anything illuminating it?
scattering?

elou said:
Nut there is nothing linking the visible beam in the smoke, and the reflection on the mirror.
They literally intersect at the mirror surface.

I don’t think what you are saying is true. I also don’t think it matters. Why should there be something visible linking an object and its reflection?

Dale said:
They literally intersect at the mirror surface.

I don’t think what you are saying is true. I also don’t think it matters. Why should there be something visible linking an object and its reflection?
I don't know what you mean. How would otherwise light travel between objects, and between objects and observers?

elou said:
I don't know what you mean. How would otherwise light travel between objects, and between objects and observers?
I think the laser is a distraction. Just look at your own face in the mirror. Do you see anything visible linking your face with its reflection? Then why would you expect anything else to have such a link?

Likes PeroK
elou said:
scattering?
But scattering of what? You mean secondary scattering of the already scattered light? Sure, you'll get some of that, but you need fairly dense smoke and bright lasers to see it with the naked eye.

Dale said:
I think the laser is a distraction. Just look at your own face in the mirror. Do you see anything visible linking your face with its reflection? Then why would you expect anything else to have such a link?
I completely agree with you. And I don't know either how that is possible.

elou said:
What are you expecting to see? Are you basically asking "why can't we see light while it's in flight?"

You will need to ask Dracula.......?

• Haha
Likes Ibix
This thread seems to be...<ahem>...all smoke and mirrors.

• Haha
Likes SammyS, hutchphd and Dale
elou said:
Ok, so the laser and the smoke is irrelevant. You expect to see something connecting your face and its reflection, despite never seeing such a thing.

I guess the question is what do you expect to see and why you expect to see it? If the geometry would be confusing with your face, then perhaps talk about your hand and the reflection of your hand.

Likes hutchphd
elou said:
Nut there is nothing linking the visible beam in the smoke, and the reflection on the mirror.
I think you're asking why the entire room isn't filled with light? The laser beam I'd several orders of magnitude brighter than it's first reflection (the visible beam) anteater is several orders of magnitude brighter than a second reflection off of other particles in the air. It's just way too dim to see it.

Or: you see the beam because it is directly illuminated by the laser. You don't see the room full of light because it isn't directly illuminated by the laser.

The mirror is irrelevant here. The view of the reflected beam is the same in the mirror or if you are standing right next to the mirror.

elou said:
There is also nothing linking me with the laser that the smoke made visible. The beam, and nothing else.
Light is scattered off the smoke particles. Some of this scattered light reaches your eyes - that’s a link. Some of the scattered light reaches the mirror and is reflected into your eyes. That’s the other link.

elou said:
You can see the path the beam is following, say, somewhere at the right of the mirror. When I spray smoke, I see the beam traversing the smoke, and I see the reflection of the beam traversing the smoke on the mirror. Nut there is nothing linking the visible beam in the smoke, and the reflection on the mirror.
I know it's weird, but that is easily verified. All you need is a regular mirror, a laser pen and a can of smoke spray.
Are you expressing amazement that the light travelling from the illuminated smoky beam to the mirror and from there to your eyes does not itself illuminate the smoke particles between beam and mirror and thereby make itself visible?

The light travelling from illuminated smoky beam to the mirror is diffuse. It travels everywhere. The smoke is illuminated by the light going from beam to mirror and from mirror to eyes. But it is illuminated more or less uniformly and much less intensely than from the direct laser light. There is nothing to see but a generalized background glow.

Ibix said:
But scattering of what? You mean secondary scattering of the already scattered light? Sure, you'll get some of that, but you need fairly dense smoke and bright lasers to see it with the naked eye.

Ibix said:

hutchphd said:
You will need to ask Dracula.......?
The general consensus is that it is a matter of scattering, but the effect too small to become visible to our eyes, or to the mirror. That is also how far I got.
That created its own problem: if I do the same experiment in outer space, where there is no scattering, would I still see the glow of the laser in the mirror?
Or will the laser, just like Dracula have no mirror reflection?

elou said:
That created its own problem: if I do the same experiment in outer space, where there is no scattering, would I still see the glow of the laser in the mirror?
There's dust and gas in outer space, so if you have sensitive enough detectors, yes you will see some scattered light from the beam. Otherwise, you will see nothing unless the beam shines directly in your eyes or illuminates an object.

Ibix said:
There's dust and gas in outer space, so if you have sensitive enough detectors, yes you will see some scattered light from the beam. Otherwise, you will see nothing unless the beam shines directly in your eyes or illuminates an object.
So, we won't be able to see the glow of the laser reflected in the mirror, but still be able to see distant stars? That stopped me right in my tracks. Any suggestion?

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters and Motore
elou said:
So, we won't be able to see the glow of the laser reflected in the mirror, but still be able to see distant stars?
The stars emit light in all directions. It's guaranteed that some of it will hit your eyes (unless the back of your head or a planet or something gets in the way). The laser emits light in one direction. It's almost certainly going to miss your eyes unless you go and put your eye in the beam, or some of the light scatters off something.

Ibix said:
The stars emit light in all directions. It's guaranteed that some of it will hit your eyes (unless the back of your head or a planet or something gets in the way). The laser emits light in one direction. It's almost certainly going to miss your eyes unless it scatters off something.
How can the mirror miss?

elou said:
How can the mirror miss?
How can the mirror miss what?