Light Bulb Illumination: Understanding the Role of Current and Energy Transfer

In summary: Hi Dale,Thank you. Although they may have an equal value, is it that the cross product of the two fields, ExB, is responsible for the energy transfer, with the source of this EM wave being related to the E field induced by the current? I simply want to know what the source of the energy is, that we see lost as the heat and light. Is it the EM wave generated by the two fields, or simply electron flow. A bit confusing to me, and thank you very much for taking the time to answer.It's not that complicated. The electric field is what turns the light on. The first electron that reaches the wire leading to the light from the power outlet
Imabioperson
I am having some trouble with discerning whether current (electrons flowing through the Tungsten), or the energy transfer as described by the poynting vector, is responsible for lighting the lightbulb.

Science news on Phys.org
Imabioperson said:
I am having some trouble with discerning whether current (electrons flowing through the Tungsten), or the energy transfer as described by the poynting vector, is responsible for lighting the lightbulb.

The current flowing through the filament heats the tungsten to incandescence. Light is given off by things heated to incandescence. Every time a photon leaves the filament, the energy of the filament is reduced. During normal operation, the rate of heating (I^2R) is equal to the rate that energy leaves the filament as photons -- i.e. steady state is achieved, and the temperature reaches a constant value.

Imabioperson said:
They are essentially the same. The power density throughout the bulk of the filament is given by the current density (squared) and the resistivity. This quantity will be equal to the Poynting flux across the surface of the filament.

Hi Dale,

Thank you. Although they may have an equal value, is it that the cross product of the two fields, ExB, is responsible for the energy transfer, with the source of this EM wave being related to the E field induced by the current? I simply want to know what the source of the energy is, that we see lost as the heat and light. Is it the EM wave generated by the two fields, or simply electron flow. A bit confusing to me, and thank you very much for taking the time to answer.

Imabioperson said:
is it that the cross product of the two fields, ExB, is responsible for the energy transfer
When you say "energy transfer" are you asking about the energy transfer from the field at one point to the field at another point or are you asking about the energy transfer from the field at one point to the matter at the same point? The Poynting flux is the first, and the joule heating is the second.

Imabioperson said:

Don't you think that you may be overdoing it. Sometimes, P=I2R is sufficient and you don't need to analyze it with Maxwell's Equations.

the electric field is responsible for turning the light on. The first electron that reaches the wire leading to the light from the power outlet is not the same electron that reaches the light. Without the electric field, the light wouldn't turn on as fast as they do. (Negating any effects on turn-on-time from the light-bulb type itself)

Imabioperson said:
Hi Dale,

Thank you. Although they may have an equal value, is it that the cross product of the two fields, ExB, is responsible for the energy transfer, with the source of this EM wave being related to the E field induced by the current? I simply want to know what the source of the energy is, that we see lost as the heat and light. Is it the EM wave generated by the two fields, or simply electron flow. A bit confusing to me, and thank you very much for taking the time to answer.

Wow, why are you making this more complicated than it is?

When you close the switch, there is a potential difference across the circuit containing the bulb. Current than flows. The flow of current through the high-resistive wire heats up the wire. The heating causes molecules/atoms in the wire to vibrate even more, until the vibrational energy is so high, the wire noticeably glows. You get light!

Zz.

It should be noted that current flows throughout the circuit all at once. It does not start at the switch and move through the circuit like water through an empty pipe. In effect, you cannot separate current flow from the field. When you flip the switch a change in the EM field moves through the circuit at near light speed and creates both voltage and current.

1. What is electricity and how does it turn on a light bulb?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. In order to turn on a light bulb, an electric current must flow through a conductive material, such as a wire. When the current reaches the light bulb, it causes a filament inside the bulb to heat up and produce light.

2. How does a light switch control the flow of electricity to a light bulb?

A light switch is connected to the circuit that provides electricity to the light bulb. When the switch is flipped, it completes the circuit and allows the electricity to flow through the wires and reach the light bulb, turning it on. When the switch is turned off, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of electricity, turning off the light bulb.

3. Why do light bulbs sometimes burn out?

Light bulbs have a limited lifespan because the filament inside them will eventually break after being heated up and cooled down repeatedly. This can be caused by a variety of factors, including the quality of the bulb, the amount of voltage it receives, and the number of times it is turned on and off.

4. Can other sources of energy be used to turn on a light bulb?

Yes, in addition to electricity, light bulbs can also be powered by other sources of energy such as heat, friction, and even chemical reactions. For example, some flashlights use a battery to create a chemical reaction that produces electricity to turn on the light bulb.

5. How does a light bulb produce different levels of brightness?

The brightness of a light bulb is determined by the amount of electrical energy it receives. By adjusting the voltage or amount of current flowing through the bulb, the filament can be made to produce more or less light. This is why light bulbs with different wattages will have different levels of brightness.