Lightbulb and mini hydro generator

In summary: No, that should do it. Thanks for your input!In summary, the generator output has a low voltage when there is no load, but this drops when the generator is put under load. This results in an increase in the effective internal resistance of the generator.
samirgaliz
I am using a 1.5 V incandescent light bulb. I know that if I connect a 9V battery to it or any higher voltage, it will burn it due to the large current flowing through it (Ohm's law if V goes up then the current goes up as well assuming constant R).

Now I a have a 12 V mini hydro generator showing 7.0 V when water runs through it.
When I connect the generator directly to the light bulb, I would expect that the light bulb will burn. But it doesn't!
I know it has to do with the power output of the generator at that voltage which might not be enough to cause damage.
But looking at it from Ohm's law, that 7.0 voltage should cause a large current through the light bulb and damage it.

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
The voltage changes when you put a load on the generator.

Ohm's law is not very useful for describing a generator-bulb system. Open circuit (i.e. no load) voltage of a generator is also not useful.

Likes samirgaliz and davenn
samirgaliz said:

Now I a have a 12 V mini hydro generator showing 7.0 V when water runs through it.
When I connect the generator directly to the light bulb, I would expect that the light bulb will burn. But it doesn't!
I know it has to do with the power output of the generator at that voltage which might not be enough to cause damage.
But looking at it from Ohm's law, that 7.0 voltage should cause a large current through the light bulb and damage it.

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks

As anorlunda said the voltage will drop under load

if you measure the generator output with the bulb attached, I would bet you will finds it a very low voltage
what this is telling you is that the generator cannot supply the current required by the bulb to light upDave

Likes samirgaliz
Yes the voltage changes
anorlunda said:
The voltage changes when you put a load on the generator.

Ohm's law is not very useful for describing a generator-bulb system. Open circuit (i.e. no load) voltage of a generator is also not useful.
davenn said:
As anorlunda said the voltage will drop under load

if you measure the generator output with the bulb attached, I would bet you will finds it a very low voltage
what this is telling you is that the generator cannot supply the current required by the bulb to light upDave
Thanks to both of you. That makes sense.
But why would there be a drop in potential? Is there an internal resistance within the generator itself so when a current is driven through the load the potential drops? I am assuming it is the resistance of the coil inside the generator. Correct?

samirgaliz said:
Is there an internal resistance within the generator itself so when a current is driven through the load the potential drops?
Your intuition is good, young Skywalker... :smile:

(Google "internal series resistance of voltage source") :smile:

https://www.electronicshub.org/wp-c...tance-connected-in-series-with-the-source.jpg
2.Practical-voltage-source-with-internal-resistance-connected-in-series-with-the-source.jpg

Attachments

• 2.Practical-voltage-source-with-internal-resistance-connected-in-series-with-the-source.jpg
    2.Practical-voltage-source-with-internal-resistance-connected-in-series-with-the-source.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 372
Likes samirgaliz
Yes it will have some internal resistance but its also possible the generator slows down on load?

With no load the generator is easier to turn so it spins faster producing a higher voltage. On load it's harder to turn so it goes slower and the voltage falls.

This will have the effect of increasing the effective internal resistance.

samirgaliz said:
But why would there be a drop in potential? Is there an internal resistance within the generator itself so when a current is driven through the load the potential drops? I am assuming it is the resistance of the coil inside the generator. Correct?

There is a permanent magnet in the generator, right? And a coil. So I would say that the surface current on the magnet induces an opposite surface current on the coil, when the coil gets close to the magnet.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/permanent-magnets-ferromagnetism-magnetic-surface-currents/

Do I need to explain more?

Likes samirgaliz

1. How does a lightbulb work?

A lightbulb works by passing an electrical current through a thin wire filament, causing it to heat up and emit light. The filament is typically made of tungsten, which has a very high melting point and can withstand the high temperatures needed to produce light.

2. What is the purpose of a mini hydro generator?

A mini hydro generator is used to convert the energy of flowing water into electricity. It is typically used in small-scale applications, such as powering small devices or homes in remote areas where traditional power sources are not available.

3. How does a mini hydro generator work?

A mini hydro generator works by using the kinetic energy of flowing water to spin a turbine, which is connected to a generator. The spinning turbine causes the generator to produce electricity, which can then be used to power various devices.

4. Are there different types of lightbulbs and mini hydro generators?

Yes, there are various types of lightbulbs and mini hydro generators available. Lightbulbs can be categorized based on their shape, size, and the type of gas or filament used. Mini hydro generators can also vary in size, design, and the type of turbine and generator used.

5. What are the benefits of using a mini hydro generator for electricity production?

There are several benefits to using a mini hydro generator for electricity production. Firstly, it is a renewable energy source that does not produce harmful emissions. It is also relatively low cost and can provide a steady source of electricity in remote or off-grid areas. Additionally, it can help reduce dependency on fossil fuels and contribute to a more sustainable energy mix.