Light dispersion through a window glass

In summary, light disperses into different colors in a window glass, similar to a glass prism, but the colors exit at the same angle. However, this phenomenon is not visible in a glass window due to the small distance between the different color light rays. It may be possible to see the dispersion if a thick enough piece of flat glass or an aquarium is used, as demonstrated by calculations using Snell's law and different indices of refraction.
fawk3s
Light gets dispersed into different colors in a window glass, just like in a glass prism, but the different colors exit the glass at the same angle. We can't see this phenomenon in a glass window because the distance between the different color lightrays is too small for our eyes to detect, or am I wrong?
If I am not wrong, should we be able to see the phenomenon if we took an enough thick piece of flat glass?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Science news on Phys.org
Without being an optics expert I would say your idea is correct. The light should disperse upon entry into the medium and upon exit it would be bent back to its original angle but shifted slightly. I'll see if I can test this somehow if I remember to, I have a red and a green laser I can use.

Thanks, I would very much appreciate it. :smile:

For example, take a glass plate with a thickness of 10 mm thick. The index of refraction is 1.51 for red, 1.52 for blue. The angle of incidence is 45 degrees. Use Snell's law. The difference for the exit points of red and blue is 0,05 mm. That is hard to detect.

Now take an aquarium with a 'thickness' of 300 mm. The index of refraction is 1.331 for red, 1.343 for blue. The angle of incidence is 45 degrees. The difference for the exit points of red and blue is 3 mm. It should be possible to observe that.

I can confirm that the phenomenon of light dispersion through a window glass is indeed similar to what happens in a glass prism. This is due to the fact that glass, like a prism, has a high refractive index, causing light to bend and separate into its component colors.

However, I would like to clarify that the distance between the different color light rays in a window glass is not too small for our eyes to detect. In fact, our eyes are able to detect very small differences in color and can perceive the different colors of the visible spectrum. The reason we do not see this phenomenon in a glass window is because the thickness of the glass is not enough to cause a significant separation of the colors.

To answer your question, if we were to take a thick enough piece of flat glass, we would indeed be able to see the phenomenon of light dispersion. This is because the thicker the glass, the greater the separation of the colors. However, it is important to note that this separation would still be minimal compared to what we see in a glass prism.

In summary, the phenomenon of light dispersion through a window glass is a result of the glass's refractive index and thickness, but it is not typically noticeable to the human eye due to the relatively small thickness of window glass.

1. How does light dispersion occur through a window glass?

Light dispersion through a window glass occurs when white light enters the glass and is separated into its component colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet). This is due to the glass's ability to refract, or bend, different wavelengths of light at different angles.

2. What causes the different colors to appear in a rainbow when light passes through a window glass?

The different colors in a rainbow are caused by the different wavelengths of light being refracted at different angles as they pass through the window glass. Each color has a different wavelength, with red having the longest and violet having the shortest.

3. Can different types of window glass affect light dispersion?

Yes, different types of window glass can affect light dispersion. For example, a window with a thicker or curved surface will cause more refraction and dispersion of light compared to a flat and thin window.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect light dispersion through a window glass?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the light enters the window glass, can affect the amount of light dispersion. A larger angle of incidence can result in a greater separation of colors, while a smaller angle may result in less dispersion.

5. Is light dispersion through window glass the same as light diffraction?

No, light dispersion and light diffraction are not the same. Light dispersion refers to the separation of colors in white light, while light diffraction refers to the bending of light waves around obstacles or through small openings.