Light Exceeds Its Own Speed Limit?

In summary, according to the theory of relativity, light is the fastest thing in the universe and has a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. However, recent experiments have suggested that certain particles, called neutrinos, may be able to travel faster than light. These findings have caused much debate and controversy in the scientific community, as it challenges our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. Further research and experiments are needed to confirm these results and potentially change our understanding of the speed limit of our universe.
Euclid Areti
People have asked this question on this forum before. Yet no one has answered or done background check up.

Reading this has confused my understanding of Special Relativity even more.

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/national/science/053000sci-physics-light.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=120095

http://www.andersoninstitute.com/gain-assisted-superluminal-light-propogation.html

(not sure of the validity of the last article)

A google search doesn't reveal much else on this...
Anyone care to elaborate on this? Where's the experimental data info, extra research etc?

How could the speed of light exceed through other medium?

Also: "A paper on the second new experiment, by Daniela Mugnai, Anedio Ranfagni and Rocco Ruggeri of the Italian National Research Council, described what appeared to be slightly faster-than-c-propagation of microwaves through ordinary air, and was published in the May 22 issue of Physical Review Letters."
(First article)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's usually ill advised to try to get too much physics from popular news sites. Especially for attention grabbing headlines like "breaking the speed of light limit". Do you have links to the actual published papers?

What I suspect is happening is some modified version of the phase velocity being faster than the speed of light, which is not actually a problem.

Did you reed the reedsmith story?

Hmm... well the only way I could see the speed of light "exceeding c" is through general relativity, where spacetime is warped due to a gravitational field. It would (at least as far as my miniscule amount of SR/GR knowledge goes), however, only appear more blue shifted, which could, since we're subject to the curvature of spacetime, appear as a faster than c propagation. I could also be speaking nonsense, though. Additional input from someone such as @WannabeNewton would be great in this case.

Matterwave said
It's usually ill advised to try to get too much physics from popular news sites. Especially for attention grabbing headlines like "breaking the speed of light limit".

By all that is holy, I swear that I am going to lock this thread if the next post is not a reference to the actual paper.

-.-
Do you really expect us to get the paper out of a pop sci article? The closest i could get via google is this: L J Wang et al. 2000 Nature 406 277
I don't have a nature subscription though, so I can't access it, and I don't want to pay they're per article fee (it's RIDICULOUS last I looked ~$100/article).
This is why I love arxiv.

Done.

Some of these references are nearly fifteen years old, which is a fairly strong hint that there's nothing here.

1. What is the speed of light and why is it considered the "speed limit" of the universe?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is considered the "speed limit" of the universe because according to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light.

2. How can light exceed its own speed limit?

Light can exceed its own speed limit through a phenomenon called "superluminal motion" or "faster-than-light" motion. This occurs when objects in space appear to be moving faster than the speed of light, but in reality, it is an illusion caused by the curvature of space-time.

3. What are some examples of superluminal motion?

Some examples of superluminal motion include the apparent motion of galaxies and quasars, the motion of particles in a vacuum under certain conditions, and the propagation of certain types of waves such as microwave and radio waves.

4. How does superluminal motion challenge our current understanding of physics?

Superluminal motion challenges our current understanding of physics because it goes against Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. It also raises questions about the nature of space-time and the limitations of our current scientific theories.

5. What are some potential implications of light exceeding its own speed limit?

If light were to truly exceed its own speed limit, it would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies such as faster-than-light travel. However, currently, there is no conclusive evidence that light can truly exceed its own speed limit and it remains a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.