Light-Like Separation: Is It Possible?

• I
  • Thread starter novice_hack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separation
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of all events in a field being light-like separated from each other. It is noted that events in relativity are points on the space-time manifold and a field is a function of events. It is also mentioned that the set of events comprising a light-like geodesic would have this property, but including additional events not on this trajectory would result in a mix of space-like and time-like separations. The conversation concludes that the question is not well formed as the spacetime interval requires specifying a path between events.
novice_hack
Is it possible for all the events in a field to be light-like separated from each other? What would such a field be like?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "events in a field"?

Events in relativity are points of the space-time manifold. A field is a function of events, ##f(x)## (where ##f## can be all kinds of quantities, scalars, vectors, tensors, or various kinds of spinors or also operators of all these kinds when it comes to QFT, and ##x## are coordinates, ##(x^0,x^1,x^2,x^3)##).

Likes martinbn, Nugatory and Ibix
Ok. I suppose I meant: can all the spacetime intervals between events be light-like?

novice_hack said:
Ok. I suppose I meant: can all the spacetime intervals between events be light-like?
The set of events comprising a light-like geodesic would have that property.

However, if you included any additional event not on that trajectory then it seems clear that such an event would have space-like separation from some events on the trajectory and a time-like separation from others.

Note that you must be talking about flat space-time since the "spacetime interval" between events is ambiguous otherwise.

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
novice_hack said:
The spacetime interval is defined along a path. It requires more than just specifying a pair of events. It requires specifying the path from one to the other. So the question really is not well formed.

Likes cianfa72 and vanhees71

1. What is light-like separation?

Light-like separation refers to the distance between two events in space-time that can be traversed by a beam of light in a vacuum. In other words, it is the maximum speed at which information can travel between two points in space-time.

2. Is light-like separation possible?

Yes, light-like separation is possible in theory according to Einstein's theory of relativity. However, it is not possible for any physical object with mass to travel at the speed of light, as it would require an infinite amount of energy.

3. How is light-like separation measured?

Light-like separation is measured using the Lorentz transformation, which is a mathematical equation that describes how space and time are affected by the speed of an object. It takes into account the speed of light and the relative motion between two frames of reference.

4. Can anything travel faster than light-like separation?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than light-like separation. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it would require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light.

5. What are the implications of light-like separation?

The concept of light-like separation has significant implications in the study of space and time, as it helps us understand the limitations of travel and communication in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communication.