Light refracting and reflecting in a drop of water to form a rainbow

In summary, Snell's law of reflection states that the angle between a ray and the normal to the surface at a point is equal to the angle between the ray and the normal to the reflecting surface. Snell's law of Reflection states that the angle between a ray and the normal to the surface at a point is equal to the angle between the ray and the normal to the reflecting surface. This can be used to determine all the angles between the ray and the reflecting surface. After that, you need to show that the outgoing angle has a maximum.
A13235378
Homework Statement
When a ray of sunlight enters a drop of water, it undergoes multiple internal reflections accompanied by partial transmissions out of the drop. Consider an ABCDE ray that undergoes a single internal reflection before emerging from the drop (Figure). The primary rainbow is formed when the deviation θ is minimal. Show that this happens for an incidence angle θ1r such that
Relevant Equations
n1sen theta1 = n2 sen theta 2
1601465997193.png
1601466006365.png

Sem título 1.png

I drew the red and green tangent lines and I found that the angles in blue are equal to theta 1. Also , as the BCD triangle is equilateral, theta 2 = 30. With this I can calculate the side of this equilateral triangle as a function of the radius R of the circumference. After that, I can't go on. My only problem is not the physical itself, but the geometry. How can I finish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
A13235378 said:
as the BCD triangle is equilateral
Oh, is it ? How do you prove that ? 🤔

The primary rainbow is formed when the deviation θ is minimal.
What do you usually have to do to find a minimum ?

BvU said:
Oh, is it ? How do you prove that ? 🤔

What do you usually have to do to find a minimum ?

So I may have rushed, because I thought that by law of reflection

BCO = OCD.

So BOC = COD

This is in fact but I cannot say that this third angle that completes an entire arc is also the same.

I really rushed, I ask for forgiveness

So it is isosceles.
(if AB is closer to the horizontal axis you can see BD is not necessarily the same length as BO )

What can you do to find an expression for ##\theta## ?

BvU said:
So it is isosceles.
(if AB is closer to the horizontal axis you can see BD is not necessarily the same length as BO )

What can you do to find an expression for ##\theta## ?

Sem título 1.png

I don't know if it's right, but I kind of considered the prism where S is the opening. The minimum deviation is given by the formula

D = 2i - S

Where i is the incident angle. ##\theta_1##

But also the angle I marked in orange is 4 ##\theta_2##

So I found that:

##\theta## = 2 ##\theta_1## + 4 ##\theta_2## - ##\pi##

Am I right?

If so, how can I proceed now to arrive at the result?

Please don't go hunting for some formula in the book. You know the incident angle ##\theta_1## and then Snell gives you ##\theta_2##. The outgoing process is similar.
That and the symmetry is sufficient to determine all the angles using high school geometry Then you need to show that the outgoing angle has a maximum.
Just write down all the angles at point B in terms of ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## to start.

Related to Light refracting and reflecting in a drop of water to form a rainbow

What causes light to refract and reflect in a drop of water to form a rainbow?

Light refracts and reflects in a drop of water due to the change in speed and direction of the light as it passes through the water droplet. This is known as refraction. The light also reflects off the back of the water droplet, creating a secondary reflection. When these processes occur, the white light is separated into its different wavelengths, creating the colorful spectrum of a rainbow.

Why do rainbows appear as an arc shape?

The arc shape of a rainbow is due to the angle at which the light enters and exits the water droplet. The light must enter the droplet at a specific angle in order to be refracted and reflected in a way that creates the visible rainbow. This angle is different for each color of light, causing the separation of colors and the arched shape of the rainbow.

Can a rainbow be seen at any time of day?

A rainbow can only be seen when the sun is shining behind the observer and there are water droplets in the air. This typically occurs during or after a rainstorm, but can also happen with mist, fog, or even a sprinkler. The angle of the sun is important in creating the rainbow, so it is typically seen in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is lower in the sky.

Why do rainbows sometimes appear as double rainbows?

Double rainbows occur when the light is reflected twice inside the water droplet. This creates a secondary, dimmer rainbow above the primary rainbow. The colors of the secondary rainbow are also reversed, with red on the bottom and violet on the top. Double rainbows are less common and typically only seen when there are larger water droplets in the air.

Can rainbows be seen from different angles?

Yes, the angle at which the observer is viewing the rainbow can affect how it appears. From a different angle, the rainbow may appear to be a different shape or may not be visible at all. This is due to the specific angle at which the light must enter and exit the water droplets in order to create the rainbow.