Light Speed Naivety? Exploring the Mysteries of c

In summary: The conversation is discussing the concept of light speed and its variations. It is suggested that the reason for light slowing down in materials is due to its interactions with particles. However, this is not the case as photons always travel at the speed of light, but they may be absorbed and emitted at different frequencies. The speed of light is determined by fundamental constants such as epsilon_0 and mu_0. Some people may be scared or uninterested in the subjects of cosmology, physics, and relativity, but understanding these concepts can lead to a greater appreciation of the world. The conversation also touches on the concept of light traveling through space and its interactions with particles, including the potential impact of quantum vacuum energy. In
berty
Light speed niavety??

Light speed naivety??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The speed of light - c is a fundamental constant, at least in vacuum.
However, it appears that c varies and slows down at the interface between different density materials ie: air to water. But why is this?

If a) photons travel between particles and b) the space between particles is empty then the only reason why c slows is because of the interaction with said particles. If this is the case then why doesn't c slow to nothing whilst traveling and interacting with particles during it's 15 billion light year journey from the edge of the Cosmos to our eyes?

If a) is correct, but b) is not because of the various energy emissions and elemental forces the photons encounter (ie:- do the photons lose energy?) in the less than empty space between particles, then does c vary because of it's interaction with them?

Or is it a combination of factors and if so what are they and what determines their effect/s?

If anyone can answer this query could they e mail me at:
bertiep@yahoo.com

Science news on Phys.org
In materials photons are adsorbed, then remitted. Thus the "slowing" of light in materials. Photons always travel at c. After adsorption, when remitted they may be remitted as several different photons at different frequencies, but they will always propagate at c.

Since

[tex] c = \sqrt {\frac {\epsilon_0} {\mu_0} [/tex]

it is more correct to say that the fundamental constants are [itex] \epsilon_0[/itex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex].

Thanks for the info. Please excuse me if the question seemed simple, I'm not a physicist nor am I a mathematician, nevertheless I'm fascinated by the concepts of cosmology, physics and relativity. Unfortunately they aren't subjects which people usually have much interest in, so they don't crop up in general conversation. This means that I don't get much chance to discuss them in detail with anyone, especially with someone who understands more than me so I can ask questions and learn.

I found this site whilst exploring the net and visit it when I can. I just wish I was more intelligent and could study and investigate the subjects more thoroughly.

What a pity so many people are scared of the subjects and think it clever and funny to be ignorant about science generally. But it is their loss and they miss so much. With understanding comes an even greater appreciation of the world around them, which becomes even more beautiful.

This wasn't answered:
berty said:
If a) photons travel between particles and b) the space between particles is empty then the only reason why c slows is because of the interaction with said particles. If this is the case then why doesn't c slow to nothing whilst traveling and interacting with particles during it's 15 billion light year journey from the edge of the Cosmos to our eyes?
There are very few particles in space, so there is very little slowing. Also, you seem to be under the impression that the more distance, the slower the light gets - not so.

Integral said:
In materials photons are adsorbed, then remitted. Thus the "slowing" of light in materials. Photons always travel at c. After adsorption, when remitted they may be remitted as several different photons at different frequencies, but they will always propagate at c.

Since

[tex] c = \sqrt {\frac {\epsilon_0} {\mu_0} [/tex]

it is more correct to say that the fundamental constants are [itex] \epsilon_0[/itex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex].

I found a mistake by Integral! Your formula is wrong.

It's actually:

[tex] c = \sqrt {\frac {1} {\epsilon_0\mu_0} [/tex]

I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt and assume you made an error is Tex.

No, the error was mine, I did not check a reference or the units. You are absolutly correct! That is what I get for working from a faulty memory. Sorry :smile:

Integral said:
No, the error was mine, I did not check a reference or the units. You are absolutly correct! That is what I get for working from a faulty memory. Sorry :smile:

your "faulty" memory only confused what is the speed of propagation vs. what is the characteristic impedance of propagation. if i were king of the world, i would have Maxwell's Equations rewritten to replace epsilon_0 and mu_0 with c and Z_0. c and Z_0 are simply another way to represent it.

r b-j

Not at all

russ_watters said:
This wasn't answered: There are very few particles in space, so there is very little slowing. Also, you seem to be under the impression that the more distance, the slower the light gets - not so.

Methinks you got the wrong end of the stick.
Whilst I agree that the particle density in space (which is mostly vacuum) is very low, it isn't zero. Over a period of 15 billion years, even in vacuum, individual photons will encounter and interact with many particles during the journey to our eyes or photo sensitive equipment.
As I stated in my reply to Integral, I'm not a classical physicist nor a mathematician. Nevertheless I'm intrigued as to how much energy a photon will loose by this process during such a journey and what effect entropy will have.
Also I presume that if an estimate can be reasonably made of the number and type of particles encountered during this journey, it is possible to calculate how this will affect the energy loss and speed of each photon?
Further, will these interactions cause the photons to deflect and refract (as short wavelength blue photons do when they encounter molecules, mainly nitrogen, in the Earth's atmosphere, which is why the sky appears blue) and therefore make it nigh impossible to accurately locate the original source of the photons?

Additionally, what effect (if any) will quantum vacuum energy have on the photons?

berty said:
Methinks you got the wrong end of the stick.
Whilst I agree that the particle density in space (which is mostly vacuum) is very low, it isn't zero. Over a period of 15 billion years, even in vacuum, individual photons will encounter and interact with many particles during the journey to our eyes or photo sensitive equipment.

Actually, the density of intergalactic hydrogen is so low, 4e-34 kg/m³, That a single photon would interact with less than 3000 hydrogen atoms over that 15 billion year journey. In contrast, A photon can interact with over 3 million atoms passing through a mere 1 meter of air. Since the delay caused by passing through one meter of air is insignificant, so would the delay caused by passing through 15 billion lightyrs of intergalactic space.

Berty, you implied that the more material the light goes through, the slower it goes, ie thicker glass makes for a higher index of refraction. That isn't the case. There is also no loss of energy in the transmission of a photon.

Related to Light Speed Naivety? Exploring the Mysteries of c

1. What is "Light Speed Naivety?"

"Light Speed Naivety" refers to the common misconception that the speed of light is infinite or that it can be exceeded. In reality, the speed of light in a vacuum is a fundamental constant in the universe and is the fastest possible speed at which energy, matter, and information can travel.

2. How fast is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. In scientific notation, this is written as 3.00 x 10^8 m/s. This speed is incredibly fast and is a fundamental limit in the universe.

3. Why is the speed of light considered a universal constant?

The speed of light is considered a universal constant because it is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or the direction in which they are traveling. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving or in what direction, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same value.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires more and more energy to accelerate it further. This means that it would take an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light, making it impossible for anything to surpass it.

5. How does the speed of light affect our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It is a fundamental constant in many scientific theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity. The fact that the speed of light is the same for all observers has led to many groundbreaking discoveries and has helped us better understand the nature of space, time, and gravity.