Light waves propagate with no medium

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of the luminiferous aether and whether the electromagnetic field can be considered a medium that permeates all space. The conclusion is that while the electromagnetic field does permeate space, it is not the same as the aether or any physical material. The conversation also touches on the concept of "dumb" questions and the importance of seeking knowledge and understanding through discussions like this one.
mrcotton
I have come to accept that the luminiferous aether does not exist.

When we say that the electromagnetic wave is an oscillation of the electromagnetic field, then is not the electromagnetic field itself a medium that permeates all space?

This is probably a dumb question, but I am as dumb as I look!

Physics news on Phys.org
It was a dumb question then?

I suppose the answer is that a medium for other waves is made of material particles and the electromagnetic field is not.

No, it is not a dumb question but it was only 3 and a half hours since you posted it. People don't sit around waiting for someone to post a question.

As to your question, yes, the "electromagnetic field" is a field that permeates space. But a "field" is not the same thing as "ether" or some actual material.

Thanks for the response HallsofIvy,
3 and a half hours, I must move fast because it seemed like an eternity to me. (This excuse never washes for my gain in mass over the years either)
I am always happy to wait for the excellent responses on physics forums, I guess on reading around in the other threads I thought I had asked a really dumb question.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=86691

I came across this old thread and really enjoyed the direction this has sent me in.

I can understand your confusion and I am happy to clarify. While it is true that the electromagnetic wave is an oscillation of the electromagnetic field, this does not mean that the field itself is a physical medium. The electromagnetic field is a fundamental property of space, and it does not require a physical medium to exist or propagate. This is one of the key principles of modern physics, as we have come to understand that light and other electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, without the need for a medium such as the luminiferous aether. This concept has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. So, rest assured, your question is not dumb at all, it shows a curiosity and willingness to learn, which are essential qualities for a scientist.

Related to Light waves propagate with no medium

1. What are light waves?

Light waves are a form of electromagnetic radiation, which is a type of energy that travels in the form of waves. These waves do not require a medium in order to propagate, meaning they can travel through empty space.

2. How do light waves propagate without a medium?

Light waves do not require a medium because they are made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These fields can exist and propagate through empty space, allowing light waves to travel without the need for a physical medium.

3. Are there any other forms of electromagnetic radiation that can propagate without a medium?

Yes, there are several other types of electromagnetic radiation that can propagate without a medium, including radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays. However, some forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as sound waves, do require a medium in order to propagate.

4. How is the speed of light affected by the absence of a medium?

The speed of light is not affected by the absence of a medium. In a vacuum, light travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, regardless of the presence or absence of a medium.

5. What are some real-world applications of light waves propagating without a medium?

Some real-world applications of light waves propagating without a medium include communication technologies such as satellite transmissions and wireless internet. Additionally, light waves are used in medical imaging techniques like X-rays and in various types of laser technology.