Lightbulb brightness in a circuit

In summary: Y and Z.In summary, the equivalent resistance of the circuit changes when a fourth identical light bulb is added, resulting in a change in the voltage distribution among the light bulbs. Depending on the specific values of the resistances, the brightness of the original light bulbs may either increase or decrease.
phunphysics

Homework Statement

The circuit has identical light bulbs. A fourth identical light bulb is added to the circuit. How does the brightness of the original light bulbs change?

a)All of them get dimmer
b)X,Z get dimmer, Y brighter
c)X,Z brighter, Y dimmer
d)X,Y dimmer, Z brighter
e)X,Y brighter, Z dimmer

Homework Equations

## P=I^2R ##
##R_{eq} = R_1 + R_2 (series)##
##\frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} (parallel)##

The Attempt at a Solution

If I treat the light bulbs as identical resistors, then the equivalent resistance of the setup is R/3 since they are all parallel. If the fourth is added, then the equivalent resistance changes and I calculated that it becomes 2R/5, which means that more current will be drawn from the battery. If that's the case, I thought that X and Z would get brighter and Y would be dimmer, so c) would be my answer.

Attachments

• Selection_011.png
    Selection_011.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got the original equivalent resistance wrong. You should calculate the equil. resistance of Y and Z first using the formula for parallel resistors and add it to X in series.

after that you could think about the effect of the additional resistor on the voltage distribution of X and the branches

1. How does the brightness of a lightbulb change in a circuit?

The brightness of a lightbulb in a circuit is directly related to the amount of current flowing through it. The more current that flows through the bulb, the brighter it will be.

2. What factors affect the brightness of a lightbulb in a circuit?

The two main factors that affect the brightness of a lightbulb in a circuit are the voltage and resistance. Higher voltage and lower resistance will result in a brighter bulb.

3. Can the brightness of a lightbulb be controlled in a circuit?

Yes, the brightness of a lightbulb can be controlled in a circuit by adjusting the voltage or resistance. A higher voltage or lower resistance will result in a brighter bulb, while a lower voltage or higher resistance will result in a dimmer bulb.

4. Why do lightbulbs in a series circuit have different brightness levels?

In a series circuit, the same current flows through each component. However, the resistance of each lightbulb may be different, resulting in different levels of brightness. The lightbulb with the higher resistance will be dimmer, while the one with the lower resistance will be brighter.

5. Can the type of lightbulb affect its brightness in a circuit?

Yes, different types of lightbulbs have different levels of resistance, which can affect their brightness in a circuit. For example, an incandescent bulb will have a higher resistance and be dimmer compared to an LED bulb with a lower resistance.