Lighting up a 5mm LED using a homemade battery

In summary: Multiple coins on one flat surface, piled on another set of coins on another flat surface on it,...work?Yes.
Joel Kee

Homework Statement

I'm currently doing a mini project as an assignment in my engineering course. I tried replicating the coin battery, where I stack a piece of cardboard soaked in black vinegar (couldn't find white vinegar), a piece of aluminium foil, then a 20 sen
coin (Malaysian, cupronickel), and continue. I managed to get a stable reading of 6V. However, my 5mm LED did not light up when I tried connecting it. So, I tested the coin battery using the link multimeter and found out that it only produced 23microA. How do I increase the current? Or is that not the problem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Joel Kee. :welcome:

If you look at the LED at night with the room in darkness you may discover that it is giving a faint glow.

But I see two ways you could go from here. You could try bigger coins or metal sheets, so there'd be larger areas for the electrochemistry to work with. This is equivalent to connecting multiple batteries in parallel.

Or, you could use what you have and drive a low-power flasher, an electronic circuit where a capacitor is slowly charged (over some seconds) by your micropower battery, then its accumulated charge gets dumped through the LED for a brief time, and the charging cycle repeats.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Joel Kee. :welcome:

If you look at the LED at night with the room in darkness you may discover that it is giving a faint glow.

But I see two ways you could go from here. You could try bigger coins or metal sheets, so there'd be larger areas for the electrochemistry to work with. This is equivalent to connecting multiple batteries in parallel.

Or, you could use what you have and drive a low-power flasher, an electronic circuit where a capacitor is slowly charged (over some seconds) by your micropower battery, then its accumulated charge gets dumped through the LED for a brief time, and the charging cycle repeats.

Thanks for the reply! I have almost lost faith in this project, so thanks for replying. I tried using a buzzer with this coin battery, yet no sound is produced. I shall try the LED in a dark room though. Any other advice?

UPDATE :
The LED lights up! But it's really dim. Any idea how to make it brighter other than add more coins?

P/s I still don't get why 5v isn't enough to make this LED light up brightly.

It's not the unloaded voltage of your battery that is important. If you measure the voltage across the LED when it is connected to the battery you will see that the voltage is nothing like a few volts.

There may be tiny lower-power more-efficient LEDs available.

Can you explain more on why? And why does a normal battery make it light up so bright then?

NascentOxygen said:
It's not the unloaded voltage of your battery that is important. If you measure the voltage across the LED when it is connected to the battery you will see that the voltage is nothing like a few volts.

And how much voltage do you think I need to make it bright?

Joel Kee said:
And how much voltage do you think I need to make it bright?
Across the LED itself when glowing brightly, between 3V and 4V.

NascentOxygen said:
Across the LED itself when glowing brightly, between 3V and 4V.
Care to explain why the voltage of the battery doesn't really matter?

The battery voltage does matter. While powering the LED the battery voltage must of necessity be at least what the LED requires.

NascentOxygen said:
The battery voltage does matter. While powering the LED the battery voltage must of necessity be at least what the LED requires.
Any idea how much voltage should my battery be in order for the LED to be about 3-4V?

Joel Kee said:
Any idea how much voltage should my battery be in order for the LED to be about 3-4V?
A battery of that voltage will work. With it connected directly to the LED then the battery voltage becomes the LED voltage.

It's not more volts that is required of your homemade battery; what is needed is more current. The only way for your voltaic pile to supply more current is to provide it with more metal surface for its chemistry to work with.

NascentOxygen said:
A battery of that voltage will work. With it connected directly to the LED then the battery voltage becomes the LED voltage.

It's not more volts that is required of your homemade battery; what is needed is more current. The only way for your voltaic pile to supply more current is to provide it with more metal surface for its chemistry to work with.
Will having multiple coins on one flat surface, piled on another set of coins on another flat surface on it, work?

Joel Kee said:
Will having multiple coins on one flat surface, piled on another set of coins on another flat surface on it, work?
You could try that. It will be an improvement.

NascentOxygen said:
You could try that. It will be an improvement.
Do you think that would work better, or wrapping copper wire with aluminium and salt water soaked tissue together, joined in series?

You have to try these to find out. It's not as straight-forward as you'd like.

NascentOxygen said:
You have to try these to find out. It's not as straight-forward as you'd like.
Alright! Any other advice?

Joel Kee said:
Alright! Any other advice?
Yes, after experimenting come back and tell us the results.

1. How can I make a homemade battery to light up a 5mm LED?

To make a homemade battery, you will need a copper nail, a zinc nail, a lemon, and some wire. Insert the nails into the lemon, making sure they do not touch each other. Then, connect one end of the wire to the copper nail and the other end to the LED. Finally, connect the zinc nail to the other end of the LED. The chemical reaction between the lemon and the metals will create a small electrical current to power the LED.

2. What materials do I need to light up a 5mm LED with a homemade battery?

You will need a copper nail, a zinc nail, a lemon, wire, and a 5mm LED. You may also want to use alligator clips to make the connections easier.

3. How long will a homemade battery last when used to light up a 5mm LED?

The lifespan of a homemade battery will vary depending on the freshness of the lemon and the quality of the materials used. Generally, a homemade battery can power a 5mm LED for a few hours before it needs to be replaced.

4. Can I use other fruits or vegetables to make a homemade battery for my 5mm LED?

Yes, you can use other acidic fruits or vegetables such as potatoes, oranges, or tomatoes to make a homemade battery. The key is to use two different metals and an acidic solution to create a chemical reaction that produces electricity.

5. Is it safe to make and use a homemade battery to light up a 5mm LED?

Yes, it is generally safe to make and use a homemade battery for a 5mm LED. However, you should always use caution when handling materials and electricity. Make sure to wash your hands after handling the lemon and do not touch the LED while it is connected to the battery.