Lightspeed and entanglement 'phone' question

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of quantum entanglement and its potential use as a communication device for space travel. However, it is clarified that quantum entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication, thus eliminating the problem mentioned in the scenario. The conversation ends with a request for recommendations for further reading on quantum entanglement.
tribetype40
All,

I'm new to the forum and registered as I have a scenario which has me confused (not difficult!)

The scenario goes as follows and involves:(and please correct me if anything I'm suggesting is incorrect)

-person A journeys to a nearby star and travels near the speed of light

-person B remains on earth

-a 'space phone' based on a quantum entanglement communication device.

So, person B says goodbye to Person A and shoots off on his trip to a nearby system. As he travels at nearly the speed of light the round trip to him will take say 40 years, however when he returns to Earth person B has experienced 70 years. During the trip person A has experienced time differently to person B.

My (super basic) understanding of quantum entanglement is that the state of one half of an entangled pair changes instantaneously when the other halves state is changed, irrespective of distance. So if a phone call where to take place on the 'space phone' each half of the entangled pair would be experiencing time differently but also have to change states simultaneously...?

How/Could this work, is it even possible or what would the phone call sound like!?

I'd be really interested to hear any insights into this, many thanks.

Doug

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum entanglement can NOT be used to make a faster-than-ligh communication device, so the problem never arises.

This is a very common question, but it is based on a missunderstanding when it comes to what quantum entanglement is.

I see, thanks for the reply. So is there any good, basic, reading that would give a better understanding quantum entanglement, what it is and how it works?

1. What is lightspeed and how does it relate to entanglement?

Lightspeed refers to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. Entanglement, on the other hand, is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two particles become connected or "entangled" in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. Lightspeed and entanglement are related because they both play a role in quantum communication, where information is transmitted at the speed of light through entangled particles.

2. Can information really be transmitted faster than the speed of light using entanglement?

No, while entanglement allows for instantaneous communication between two particles, it does not violate the speed of light limit. This is because the information being transmitted is not the physical state of the particles, but rather the correlation between them. The actual transfer of information between two entangled particles still occurs at the speed of light.

3. How is entanglement used in "phone" technology?

Entanglement is being explored as a potential method for secure communication in "quantum phones". These phones would use quantum entanglement to transmit encrypted information, making it nearly impossible for third parties to intercept and decode the communication. However, this technology is still in its early stages of development and not yet commercially available.

4. Is it possible for entanglement to be "broken" or disrupted?

Entanglement is a delicate phenomenon and can be easily disrupted by external factors such as noise or interference. This can cause the entangled particles to lose their correlation and break the entanglement. Scientists are working on methods to improve the stability of entanglement for practical use in technologies such as quantum communication.

5. How does entanglement in "phone" technology differ from traditional communication methods?

Traditional communication methods, such as sending signals through wires or using radio waves, rely on physical transmission of information. In contrast, entanglement allows for the instantaneous transfer of information between two particles, regardless of the distance between them. This means that quantum phones using entanglement could potentially enable secure communication over long distances without the need for physical transmission lines.