Lightspeed Wavelengths: Exploring the Standard and Variations of Light Waves

In summary: So any measurement of the speed of light over a short distance would be very sensitive to the precise wavelength of the light being measured.
Questioner...
Hello there, I am new to the sight and am curious to know if light has a standard wave length? And that maybe different spectrum's of light could possibly have different wave length- thus creating multiple speeds of light?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of light in a vacuum is independent of wavelength.

How would one make a model of that?

Questioner... said:
How would one make a model of that?
What do you mean?

How can one go about proving that?

My theory could proven wrong with a simple test, the sun- a standard would be my base unit of speed. I would focus a beam sunlight through a simple hole in a piece of paper and see where the shadow has cast. I would then proceed to cover the whole in the paper and use some sort of timer to depict the speed in which it takes the light to travel from the hole in the paper to the ground.

Now using this same model we can find out how fast a beam of Sunlight travels from point A: This piece of paper casting the shadow, to point B: the shadow on the ground.
I believe also we could find are exact angle to the sun? I am not sure though,

Please forgive me if you think it is a radical or stupid Idea, I am new to the subject of physics but I carry an open mind.

Questioner... said:

See the FAQ on the experimental basis of special relativity, in particular section 3.4, "Measurements of the Speed of Light, and Other Limits on it," which has a subsection "Limits on Velocity Variations with Frequency."

Questioner... said:
It can be derived from Maxwell's equations and properties of free space (which do not depend on wavelength). But the real "proof" is experimental, as jtbell indicated.

Wavelengths vary over many orders of magnitude; AM radio is about 300 meter wavelength, FM about 3 m, 1 GHz about 30 cm, infrared about 1 to 100 microns, red light about 600 nanometers, blue light about 400 nanometers, etc.

1. What is the concept of lightspeed wavelengths?

Lightspeed wavelengths refer to the distance traveled by light in a specific amount of time. This concept is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to measure the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

2. How are light waves classified?

Light waves are classified based on their wavelength and frequency. Wavelength refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave, while frequency is the number of complete waves that pass through a point in one second. Light waves can be categorized as either electromagnetic or mechanical, with electromagnetic waves having a higher frequency and shorter wavelength than mechanical waves.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and energy of light waves?

The energy of light waves is directly proportional to their frequency and inversely proportional to their wavelength. This means that light waves with shorter wavelengths have higher energy, while those with longer wavelengths have lower energy. This relationship is described by the equation E=hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

4. How do variations in light waves affect our perception of color?

Our perception of color is determined by the wavelength of light that is reflected or absorbed by an object. When light waves with different wavelengths enter our eyes, they are detected by specialized cells called cones, which then send signals to our brain to interpret the color. The variations in wavelengths of light waves result in the different colors that we see in the world around us.

5. Can light waves travel through different mediums?

Yes, light waves can travel through different mediums, such as air, water, and glass. However, the speed of light may vary depending on the medium it is traveling through. For example, light travels slower in water than in air due to the difference in their refractive indices. Additionally, the properties of the medium can also affect the wavelength and frequency of light waves.