Limit cycles, differential equations and Bendixson's criterion

In summary, the theorem states that if the expression (**) is not identically zero, the sign remains unchanged and the expression vanishes only at isolated points or on a curve, so there are no closed trajectories, either periodic solutions or a singular closed trajectory inside region ##G##.
Vini
I have a few questions about the negative Bendixon criterion. In order to present my doubts, I organize this post as follows. First, I present the theorem and its interpretation. Second, I present a worked example and my doubts.

The Bendixson criterion is a theorem that permits one to establish the absence of closed trajectories of dynamical systems in the plane, defined by the equation
$$x'=P(x,y),\quad y'=Q(x,y) \qquad(*)$$
According to Bendixson criterion, if in a simply-connected domain ##G## the expression
$$I(x,y)=P_x'+Q_y'\qquad(**)$$
has constant sign, then the system(*) has no closed trajectories in the domain ##G##. In other words, if the expression (**) is not identically zero, the sign remains unchanged and the expression vanishes only at isolated points or on a curve, so there are no closed trajectories, either periodic solutions or a singular closed trajectory inside region ##G##.

Having presented the theorem and its interpretation, now I turn to a simple application of it.

As a worked example (see example III of Ref.[1] below), let us consider
$$x'=-y+x(x^{2}+y^{2}-1),\quad y'=x+y(x^{2}+y^{2}-1) \qquad (***)$$
as a dynamical system in two-dimensions. Suppose that we are asked to prove that there no closed trajectories in the region ##G## inside the circle with center at ##(0,0)## and radius ##\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##.

Based on the theorem above, let ##P(x,y)=-y+x(x^{2}+y^{2}-1)## and ## Q(x,y)=x+y(x^{2}+y^{2}-1)##. By employing Eq.~(**), one can readily see that
##I(x,y)=4\left(x^{2}+y^{2}-\frac{1}{2}\right)##,
in which is evident that ##I(x,y)## has a constant sign inside and outside the circle ##x^{2}+y^{2}=1/2##. Based on that result, I have a few doubts:

1. According to Ref.[1], the given system has no closed orbits inside the circle which is interpreted as a simply-connected region. Why is the region G inside the circle simply connected?

2. According to the same Ref.[1], the region outside the circle is considered non-simply connected. Why is such region non-simply connected? that is, what property does the region outsided the circle have in order to be defined as non-simply connected?

References
1. Layek, G.C.. An Introduction to Dynamical Systems and Chaos. Índia: Springer India, 2015. Page 174. (See https://books.google.com.br/books?id=wfcUCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA174&lpg=PA174&dq=bendixson+criterion++non-simply+connected+regions&source=bl&ots=01UFdC1xHN&sig=ACfU3U2AITbcvXiP0mi8Lf8BJ89vRmYN9g&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwic3NCvroz2AhV-K7kGHTVTD8IQ6AF6BAgsEAM#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Physics news on Phys.org
have you read a definition of simply connected? to a topologist, it means that every simple closed curve can be deformed continuously to a point within the region. To a complex analyst it is sometimes taken to mean that the complement of the region, in the Riemann sphere, i.e. the one point compactification of the plane, is connected. This second version can be used in your case to see quickly that the interior of a circle is simply connected, but the exterior, in the plane, is not. I.e. the complement in the sphere, of the interior of a disc, is itself a disc, but the complement in the sphere, of the (plane) exterior of a disc, is both the interior of that disc and the point at infinity.

Last edited:

What is a limit cycle?

A limit cycle is a type of behavior exhibited by a dynamical system described by a set of differential equations. It refers to a periodic or repeating pattern of solutions that the system approaches and stays within, rather than converging to a single point or oscillating indefinitely.

How do you determine if a system has a limit cycle?

One way to determine if a system has a limit cycle is by using Bendixson's criterion. This states that if the vector field of a two-dimensional system has no sources or sinks, and the divergence of the vector field is not identically zero, then the system must have a closed orbit or limit cycle.

What is the significance of Bendixson's criterion?

Bendixson's criterion is significant because it provides a simple and efficient way to determine the existence of limit cycles in a two-dimensional system. It is also useful for proving the non-existence of limit cycles in certain systems, as well as for identifying regions where limit cycles may exist.

Can a system have multiple limit cycles?

Yes, a system can have multiple limit cycles. This can occur when the vector field has multiple closed orbits or when the system has multiple solutions that approach different limit cycles. In some cases, the number of limit cycles in a system can be predicted using bifurcation theory.

How are limit cycles used in real-world applications?

Limit cycles have many practical applications, such as in the study of population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They can also be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as weather patterns, economic trends, and biological processes.