Limit of a Series with Unknown Variable K

In summary, the conversation is discussing the application of the ratio test to determine whether a series is convergent, divergent, or oscillating. The conversation involves finding the limit of a specific equation and discussing the correct approach to determining the limit. The individuals in the conversation also mention the importance of completing the work on the limit before making a guess about the convergence of the series.
K.QMUL

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following are convergent, divergent or oscillating.

Homework Equations

Please see the attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the attachment. I am unsure about this as when I plot a graph without K its convergence

Attachments

• 20131031_140348.jpg
    20131031_140348.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't applied the ratio test correctly. You have
[tex]
\lim_{i \to \infty} \left|\frac{a_{i+1}}{a_i}\right| = \lim_{i \to \infty} \left(\frac{i + 1}{i}\right)^2 e^{-K}
[/tex]
which is correct. But then you don't try to find the limit, which is what you need to apply the ratio test.

How would I go about finding the limit?

i+1~i.

Mmmm.. still not sure, am I going about it in the right direction, does it seem divergent?

Rather than guess whether the series is divergent or convergent, why don't you finish your work on the limit?

I thought I had finished, is there something I am missing?

Can you find the limit of post #2?

Related to Limit of a Series with Unknown Variable K

1. What is convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to whether or not the terms in the series eventually approach a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine if a series converges or diverges, you can use various tests such as the comparison test or the ratio test.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to when a series converges regardless of the order of the terms, while conditional convergence means that the series only converges if the terms are arranged in a specific order.

4. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to a single value. If the terms in the series approach different values, then the series is said to diverge.

5. Why is it important to understand convergence of a series?

Understanding convergence of a series is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in calculus, statistics, and physics. It allows us to make accurate predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a sequence or function.