Limit Question using first principles

• Thread starter Jamesaa1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Okay just to clarify: my teacher took off marks and said you cannot find the ratio of two limits, is she incorrect?Also could you check my work on the original post and let me know if there are any errors. Thank you!
Jamesaa1234

Homework Statement

If f(a) = 0 and f'(a) = 6 find lim h -> 0 (f(a+h)/2h).

Homework Equations

lim h ->0 (f(a+h)-f(a))/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the ratio between the two equations.
(f(a+h)-f(a))/h / (f(a+h)/2h)
I found this to be 2. Is this step possible or can you not take the ratio for first principles?
Then, I did:
lim h-> 0 (2(f(a+h)/2h) = 6
lim h-> 0 (f(a+h)/2h) = 3 (is this step also possible or is this incorrect?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jamesaa1234 said:

Homework Statement

If f(x) = 0 and f'(x) = 6 find lim h -> 0 (f(a+h)/2h).

Homework Equations

lim h ->0 (f(x+h)-f(x))/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the ratio between the two equations.
(f(x+h)-f(x))/h / (f(a+h)/2h)
I found this to be 2. Is this step possible or can you not take the ratio for first principles?
Then, I did:
lim h-> 0 (f(a+h)/2h) = 3 (is this step also possible or is this incorrect?)

The question makes no sense. Either you are given a specific value of x at which f(x) = 0 and f'(x) = 6, or else (if it is supposed to hold for all x) it is imposs ible.

Ray Vickson said:
The question makes no sense. Either you are given a specific value of x at which f(x) = 0 and f'(x) = 6, or else (if it is supposed to hold for all x) it is imposs ible.
I added a instead of x. I edited and fixed it up, does it make sense now?

Jamesaa1234 said:
I added a instead of x. I edited and fixed it up, does it make sense now?

No. If you mean that f'(x) = 6 for all x, then f(x) depends on x; it cannot be the constant f(x) = 0 for all x. You CAN have f(x0) = 0 at a single point x0, and have f'(x) = 6 for all x, but that is not what you wrote.

Ray Vickson said:
No. If you mean that f'(x) = 6 for all x, then f(x) depends on x; it cannot be the constant f(x) = 0 for all x. You CAN have f(x0) = 0 at a single point x0, and have f'(x) = 6 for all x, but that is not what you wrote.
Okay, but am i allowed to take the ratio two lim equations if i do not write the lim sign?
Also its f prime of a = 6 just to clarify.

Last edited:
Jamesaa1234 said:
Okay, but am i allowed to take the ratio two lim equations if i do not write the lim sign?
Also its f prime of x = 6 just to clarify.
You can divide one limit expression (they are not equations) by another, as long as both limits exist, and the limit in the denominator is not equal to zero.

However, the questions that Ray raises make it difficult to understand exactly what the problem is. There's a difference between f(x) = 0 vs. f(a) = 0, and between f'(x) = 6 vs. f'(a) = 6. In the equation f(x) = 0, the assumption is that f is 0 at each value of x. In the equation f(a) = 0, the assumption is only that at x = a, the function value is 0. And similar for f'(x) vs. f'(a).

Is this the exact problem statement?
If f(x) = 0 and f'(x) = 6 find lim h -> 0 (f(x+h)/2h).

Mark44 said:
You can divide one limit expression (they are not equations) by another, as long as both limits exist, and the limit in the denominator is not equal to zero.

However, the questions that Ray raises make it difficult to understand exactly what the problem is. There's a difference between f(x) = 0 vs. f(a) = 0, and between f'(x) = 6 vs. f'(a) = 6. In the equation f(x) = 0, the assumption is that f is 0 at each value of x. In the equation f(a) = 0, the assumption is only that at x = a, the function value is 0. And similar for f'(x) vs. f'(a).

Is this the exact problem statement?
would it be incorrect if i do not include the limit sign? Isnt first principle same as y2-y1/x2-x1.

Jamesaa1234 said:
would it be incorrect if i do not include the limit sign?
No.
Jamesaa1234 said:
Isnt the limit same as y2-y1/x2-x1.
No. In the limit, the denominator is approaching zero.

Also, you need to use parentheses here. You wrote y2-y1/x2-x1, which is ##y2 - \frac{y1}{x2} - x1##, surely not what you meant.

Likes Jamesaa1234
Mark44 said:
No.

No. In the limit, the denominator is approaching zero.

Also, you need to use parentheses here. You wrote y2-y1/x2-x1, which is ##y2 - \frac{y1}{x2} - x1##, surely not what you meant.
Okay just to clarify: my teacher took off marks and said you cannot find the ratio of two limits, is she incorrect?
Also could you check my work on the original post and let me know if there are any errors. Thank you.

Jamesaa1234 said:
Okay just to clarify: my teacher took off marks and said you cannot find the ratio of two limits, is she incorrect?
If this is exactly what she said, yes, that's incorrect. It's a very well known theorem that if ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L##, and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = M \ne 0##, then ##\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{\lim_{x \to a} f(x)}{\lim_{x \to a} g(x)} = \frac L M##.
Jamesaa1234 said:
Also could you check my work on the original post and let me know if there are any errors. Thank you.
Jamesaa1234 said:
lim h-> 0 (f(a+h)/2h) = 3
Can you show a bit more work here? What's your justification for the first limit?

Mark44 said:
If this is exactly what she said, yes, that's incorrect. It's a very well known theorem that if ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L##, and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = M \ne 0##, then ##\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac L M##.Can you show a bit more work here? What's your justification for the first limit?

Ik that the ratio between both limits is 2.

So i multiplied the two by the first limit and made it equal to the limit of f'(a) h-> 0 (2(f(a+h)/2h) = 6
then divided both sides by 2 to find lim for the original question.

Also, what is the theorem mentioned above called?

Last edited:
Jamesaa1234 said:
Ik that the ratio between both limits is 2.

So i multiplied the two by the first limit and made it equal to the limit of f'(a) h-> 0 (2(f(a+h)/2h) = 6
What's your justification for saying that ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{2f(a + h)}{2h} = 6##? That's not how f'(a) is defined.
Jamesaa1234 said:
then divided both sides by 2 to find lim for the original question.

Also, what is the theorem mentioned above called?
I don't know that it has a name. It's one of the properties of limits. There are similar properties for the limit of a sum of functions, product of functions, scalar multiple of a function, and quotient of two functions.

Mark44 said:
What's your justification for saying that ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{2f(a + h)}{2h} = 6##? That's not how f'(a) is defined.

f'(a) = 6
f(a) = 0
so (f(a+h) - f(a))/h = 6
f(a+h)/h = 6
Then i found the ratio between f(a+h)/h and f(a+h)/2h
The answer is 2. Which means 2(f(a+h)/2h) = f(a+h)/h
Therefore: 2(f(a+h)/2h) = 6 (value of f'(a))
and f(a+h)/2h = 3 (dividing both sides by 2)

Jamesaa1234 said:
f'(a) = 6
f(a) = 0
so (f(a+h) - f(a))/h = 6
That's not exactly what I was looking for, but it's close.
Actually ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(a + h) - f(a)}{h} = 6##, so ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(a + h)}{h} = 6##, since f(a) = 0.
Then ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(a + h)}{2h} = \frac 1 2 \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(a + h)}{h} = 3##.
Jamesaa1234 said:
f(a+h)/h = 6
Then i found the ratio between f(a+h)/h and f(a+h)/2h
The answer is 2. Which means 2(f(a+h)/2h) = f(a+h)/h
Therefore: 2(f(a+h)/2h) = 6 (value of f'(a))
and f(a+h)/2h = 3 (dividing both sides by 2)

Likes Jamesaa1234

Related to Limit Question using first principles

1. What is the concept of limit question using first principles?

The concept of limit question using first principles is a fundamental concept in calculus that involves finding the limit of a function by analyzing its behavior at a specific point. It involves using the basic principles of calculus, such as the definition of a limit and the concept of a derivative, to determine the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point.

2. What is the definition of a limit in first principles?

The definition of a limit in first principles is the mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific point. It involves finding the value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to the specified point.

3. How do you find the limit of a function using first principles?

To find the limit of a function using first principles, you need to follow a series of steps. First, you need to rewrite the function in a form that makes it easier to analyze. Then, you need to use the definition of a limit to evaluate the behavior of the function as it approaches the specified point. Finally, you need to simplify the result to find the limit.

4. What are the benefits of using first principles to find limits?

There are several benefits to using first principles to find limits. First, it provides a rigorous and systematic approach to finding limits, which helps to ensure accuracy in the result. Second, it allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of a function at a specific point. Third, it can be applied to any type of function, making it a versatile tool in calculus.

5. Are there any limitations to using first principles to find limits?

While first principles is a powerful tool for finding limits, it does have its limitations. It can be a time-consuming process, especially for more complex functions. It also may not be practical for finding limits in real-world applications, where more efficient methods may be used. Additionally, it can be challenging to apply first principles to certain types of functions, such as piecewise functions or functions with discontinuities.