Limiting Output Voltage of the Opamp to avoid saturation

In summary, the problem is that the opamp is not stable and the pulses are not limited to the voltage of the photo diode.
Kakeh
Problem:

my photo diode receives pulses of width 10ns-150ns and repeating at rate of 1Hz-50KHz

the current from photo diode depending on incident light can go from 10nA-100mA,

in a nutshell, my application tries to digitalize the analog pulses for pulse width measurement

so i have 'only' two photo diodes to cover the dynamic range,after breaking the dynamic range into multiple channles like 1uA-5mA(less than 1uA its hard for me to measure 10ns pulses for several reasons,find here, here) and 500uA-100mA, there are some special reasons like optical attenuation before one sensor which made to break the photo diode ranges into overlapping one.

so for my first channel 1uA-1mA which is where i want to do I-V conversion using a TIA rather than using a resistor,so for a gain of 1K i was able to achieve proper gain 60dB at 100MHz, so i will not change the gain now,

through this 1uA will be 1mV and 5mA will be 5V, now that is not enough i have to put one more gain stage of 20V/V to read my 1mV, so the second stage would saturate with a input of 500uA itself, which is a set back to my approach (to stick to the problem i did not post second stage)

Approach 1:

so i used this techinique of using diodes in my loop so that the ouput would be limited to the cutoff of the diode, but this is leading to oscillations in other words unstability of the opamp
Results:

3bltw.png

for a current above 450uA the opamp starts slightly oscillating, for a given current of 1mA on the right you can see completely unstable, i thought the problem is due to switching time of diode being 5ns only, so i changed it to schottky which resulted full fledged unstability, so there must some problem with opamp or the setup, please guide

Approach 2:

limiting the output current of the photo diode itself to 500uA ? using a current limiter, which did not workout properly, because the approach itself affects the frequency response and also adds distortion to the signal, the question quoted tries to limit the current to 5mA it can also be applied for 500uA, find it here, as its failed i don't want to bring it here.

Kindly suggest me an alternate approach to tackle this, or any modifications to existing design to get rid of the problem, to put it short i want to cover the range of 1uA-5mA

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kakeh said:
Kindly suggest me an alternate approach to tackle this, or any modifications to existing design to get rid of the problem, to put it short i want to cover the range of 1uA-5mA
Firstly; please add .txt to your LTspice.asc file, make it LTspice.asc.txt and attach it to your next post.
That way we will model the same circuit.

You have used a +/– 5V supply, but the op-amp is not rated to 10V. It is only specified from 3.1V to 5.25V maximum. I have not studied the op-amp specs so I cannot recommend a better choice of supply voltages at this time.

I think if you must use diodes then selection will be critical.
You have selected a diode that has a high capacitance when slightly forward biased.
Since you use back to back diodes you will always have worst case capacitance.
You do not need the 1pF cap in the feedback if you use diodes because diode capacitance is greater.
Your pulses are unidirectional so you only need one clamp diode.
The selected diodes are slow at 4ns. There are faster diodes available, or you might pre-bias them.

That opamp is only stable at gains of at least 10. See page 1, 1st paragraph, last sentence of:

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/626810f.pdf
"It is a decompensated op amp that is gain-of-10 stable."
Put a resistor (or a voltage divider) in series with the feedback diode(s).

please find the LTspice file, i tired of of putting a series resistor with diode which made it work as like there is no diode,

Attachments

• TIA_6269-10_diodes in loop.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 580
I think there is something wrong with the simulation. Put a probe on the opamp output and on the inverting input.
Pulse ckt.jpg

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
I think there is something wrong with the simulation. Put a probe on the opamp output and on the inverting input. View attachment 102101

yes if you see the output its not limited to diode voltage but to 2.5V which is saturation of opamp

1. How does limiting the output voltage of an opamp prevent saturation?

Limiting the output voltage of an opamp prevents saturation by restricting the maximum output voltage that the opamp can produce. Saturation occurs when the output voltage of an opamp reaches its supply voltage, causing distortion in the output signal. By limiting the output voltage, the opamp can operate within a safe range and avoid saturation.

2. What are the consequences of opamp saturation?

The consequences of opamp saturation can include distortion in the output signal, loss of accuracy, and potentially damaging the opamp or other components in the circuit. Saturation can also lead to instability and oscillations in the output signal, causing the opamp to behave unpredictably.

3. How can the output voltage of an opamp be limited?

The output voltage of an opamp can be limited by using external circuitry, such as a voltage divider or a diode clamp, to restrict the maximum output voltage. The opamp itself may also have internal protection mechanisms to limit the output voltage.

4. Is it always necessary to limit the output voltage of an opamp?

No, it is not always necessary to limit the output voltage of an opamp. The need for limiting the output voltage depends on the specific application and the opamp's specifications. In some cases, the opamp may have a wide enough output voltage range to avoid saturation without external limiting.

5. Are there any drawbacks to limiting the output voltage of an opamp?

One potential drawback of limiting the output voltage of an opamp is that it can reduce the dynamic range and accuracy of the output signal. This is because the opamp is not able to produce the full range of output voltages. Additionally, the use of external circuitry to limit the output voltage can add complexity and cost to the overall circuit design.