Linear Acceleration in a Circular Path

In summary, the problem involves a schoolbus traveling around a circular path with an acceleration of 0.5t m/s/s. The bus reaches a velocity of 8 m/s at some point and the radius of the track is 250m. To find the magnitudes of its velocity and acceleration when it has traveled a fourth of the circular track from the point at which it had v = 8 m/s, the relations dv=adt and ds=vdt are used. After integrating and solving for t, it is determined that it will take 17 seconds to travel a fourth of the way around the track from this point. This approach is correct as the problem can be modeled as if the bus were traveling down a straight track with
pecosbill

Homework Statement

A schoolbus travels around a circular path with acceleration a(t)=0.5t m/s/s with t in seconds.
At some point it has a velocity of 8 m/s.
What are the magnitudes of its velocity and acceleration when it has traveled a fourth of the circular track from the point at which it had v = 8 m/s?

Radius of the track is 250m

Homework Equations

dv=adt
ds=vdt

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relation dv=adt,
dv=0.5tdt

I integrate both sides, but get confused as to where I should integrate from since the time the bus has a velocity of 8 m/s is not provided. After consideration, I choose:

v initial is 0, v final is 8 and t initial is 0, t final is just t

After integrating, I solve for t to find

t=6.32 at v=10 and v(t)=0.25t^2

then if a fourth of the circle is travelled, the distance traveled is a fourth of the circumference:

(2*pi*250)/4=125*pi

then ds=vdt=(0.03t^2)dt
We integrate again to find distance traveled as a function of t
integrate ds from 0 to 125*pi and vdt from 6.32 to t, yielding

125*pi=0.083(t)^3-0.083(6.32)^3

From this equation, t=17.08 seconds or it will take 17 seconds to travel a fourth of the way around from this point. From here, we can plug into the a(t) and v(t) equations to answer the question.

I think this is right; however, the first time I solved the problem, I integrated the dv=adt expression from 10 to v on the dv side and 0 to t on the adt side to get v(t)=0.25*t^2+10
I then integrated it again and found the distance as a function of time, solving the time it took to travel from the point at 10 m/s to a point a fourth of the way around the track. What is wrong with this approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
pecosbill said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relation dv=adt,
dv=0.5tdt

I integrate both sides, but get confused as to where I should integrate from since the time the bus has a velocity of 8 m/s is not provided. After consideration, I choose:

v initial is 0, v final is 8 and t initial is 0, t final is just t

After integrating, I solve for t to find

t=6.32 at v=10 and v(t)=0.25t^2
Doesn't v = 8 m/s?

Is it just me or there are constants of integration missing?

well if it starts with a(0)=0 and v(0)=0, there would be no constants.

also, yes, that 10 is supposed to be an 8.

i'm just trying to establish two things:
a. is it correct to model this as if it were traveling down a straight track with this acceleration?
b. is this answer correct?

and btw, thanks for the help guys. i really appreciate it. this forum is really cool and i plan on participating by responding to other people's questions

well if it starts with a(0)=0 and v(0)=0, there would be no constants.

I guess with the info given, you can assume that. Silly me. :X

a. is it correct to model this as if it were traveling down a straight track with this acceleration?

Don't think there is anything that points this problem to anything else (like, circular motion with centripetal acceleration), so it's okay to model the solution as if the bus were moving in one dimension.

pecosbill said:
also, yes, that 10 is supposed to be an 8.

i'm just trying to establish two things:
Yes. The given acceleration of .5t m/s^2 is presumably the tangential acceleration.
b. is this answer correct?
How can it be if you used the wrong speed?

hahahah. okay. thank you.

Related to Linear Acceleration in a Circular Path

What is linear acceleration in a circular path?

Linear acceleration in a circular path refers to the change in speed or velocity of an object as it moves along a circular path. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed is changing at any given point along the path.

How is linear acceleration different from angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration is a measure of the change in speed along a straight line, while angular acceleration is a measure of the change in rotational speed. They are related through the radius of the circular path, with linear acceleration being equal to the angular acceleration multiplied by the radius.

What causes linear acceleration in a circular path?

Linear acceleration in a circular path is caused by a net force acting on the object. This force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for continuously changing the object's direction of motion, resulting in a change in speed.

How is linear acceleration calculated in a circular path?

The formula for linear acceleration in a circular path is a = v^2/r, where a is the linear acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula is derived from the relationship between linear and angular acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of linear acceleration in a circular path?

Some examples of linear acceleration in a circular path include a car driving around a curve, a rollercoaster going through a loop, and a satellite orbiting around the Earth. In all of these cases, the object is continuously changing its speed and direction as it moves along a circular path.