Linear algebra vector and lines in r3

In summary: We can write that as x- z= x_1- z_1. Combining those two equations, we can eliminate x and z to get 2y- 3= x_1- z_1. Again, since we are not given a particular point on \overline{BC}, we can take any values of x_1 and z_1 we want but must have the equation 2y- 3= x_1- z_1. That is, we can write \overline{AC} as x= x_1, y= (x_1+ z_1)/2+ 3/2, z= z_1 where x_1 and z_1 can
alingy1
Let $$A(2,-1,1)$$, $$B$$ and $$C$$ be the vertices of a triangle where $$\overrightarrow{AB}$$ is parallel to $$\vec{v}=(2,0,-1), $$$$\overrightarrow{BC}$$ is parallel to $$\vec{w}=(1,-1,1)$$ and $$\angle(BAC)=90°$$. Find the equation of the line through $$\(A\)$$ and $$\(C\)$$ in vector and parametric forms.

Well, there is not much I can do here. I could find the equation of the plane:
$$-x-3y-2z=-1$$ by finding the normal of the two vectors given.

Physics news on Phys.org
I only wish to have a hint.

alingy1 said:
Let $$A(2,-1,1)$$, $$B$$ and $$C$$ be the vertices of a triangle where $$\overrightarrow{AB}$$ is parallel to $$\vec{v}=(2,0,-1), $$$$\overrightarrow{BC}$$ is parallel to $$\vec{w}=(1,-1,1)$$ and $$\angle(BAC)=90°$$. Find the equation of the line through $$\(A\)$$ and $$\(C\)$$ in vector and parametric forms.

Well, there is not much I can do here. I could find the equation of the plane:
$$-x-3y-2z=-1$$ by finding the normal of the two vectors given.

First, I suggest you don't use the same notation for points as vectors. I would suggest angle brackets for vectors, i.e., ##\vec v = \langle 2,0,-1\rangle##. Second, are you sure you have stated the problem correctly? As it is, there is more than one solution. For example, you could just take side AB equal to your ##\vec v##, go the right distance along the ##\vec w## direction to make AC perpendicular to AB. Once you have one solution you could extend both legs of the right triangle proportionally to a larger similar triangle. Infinitely many answers.

Likes alingy1
(On this board use "itex" and "/itex" for formulas you want to be "inline". That would not give that strange spacing!)

You are told that line [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] is parallel to vector <2, 0, -1>. That should tell you immediately that line [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] can be written in parametric form [itex]x= 2t+ x_0[/itex], [itex]y= y_0[/itex], [itex]z= -t+ z_0[/itex] where [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] can be any point on the line. Since the point A itself is given as (2, -1, 1), the line is [itex]x= 2t+ 2[/itex], [itex]y= -1[/itex], [itex]z= -t+ 1[/itex].

Similarly, we can write line [itex]\overline{BC}[/itex] as [itex]x= t+ x_1[/itex], [itex]y= -t+ y_1[/itex], [itex]z= t+ z_1[/itex] but we are not given a point on
[itex]\overline{BC}[/itex].

We do know, however, that [itex]\overline{AC}[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] so must be in the plane through A normal to [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex]: [itex]2(x- 2)- (z- 1)= 0[/itex] as well as lying in the same plane that [itex]\overline{BC}[/itex] is in.

Likes alingy1

Related to Linear algebra vector and lines in r3

1. What is a vector in linear algebra?

A vector in linear algebra is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (length) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing its magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing its direction. Vectors can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar to create new vectors.

2. How is a vector represented in three-dimensional space (R3)?

In R3, a vector is represented by three coordinates or components (x, y, z) that correspond to its position in three-dimensional space. It can also be represented graphically as an arrow with its tail at the origin (0, 0, 0) and its head at the point (x, y, z).

3. What is the difference between a row vector and a column vector?

A row vector is a vector that is written horizontally, with its components separated by commas or placed in a row. A column vector is a vector that is written vertically, with its components placed in a column. In linear algebra, row vectors are typically used to represent vectors in R1 (one-dimensional space), while column vectors are used to represent vectors in higher dimensions.

4. How do you perform vector operations in R3?

In R3, vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication can be performed by adding, subtracting, or multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors. For example, to add two vectors (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2), you would add the x-components, the y-components, and the z-components separately to get the resulting vector (x1+x2, y1+y2, z1+z2).

5. What is the equation of a line in R3?

In R3, a line can be represented by parametric equations: x = x0 + at, y = y0 + bt, z = z0 + ct, where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the line and a, b, and c are the direction numbers of the line. These equations describe the position of any point on the line in terms of a parameter t. The direction numbers of the line can also be used to find the direction vector of the line, which is parallel to the line.