Linear Damping Model: Help Solving Forces & Displacement Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear damping model and the forces acting on a particle within it. The first post asks for help with drawing a force diagram and expressing forces in terms of given variables and parameters. The second post presents an equation of motion and asks for confirmation on its accuracy. The third post asks for help with a given equation and provides a solution for the vertical direction. The final post asks for help with a different equation and expresses frustration with the use of Latex code.
moolimanj
Hi All

This is my first post and I was hoping that someone could help. I have the following attached question regarding a linear damping model (in this case a seismograph).

(1) Draw a force diagram.

If W=weight, R= air resistance, and H= spring force, then I get W pointing down and both R and H pointing up. Is this right? Should there be another force as well (i.e. at the pointer and in the damper)

(2) Express forces on particle in terms of given variables and parameters and unit vector i.

I'm confused on this one. Can someone help?

(3) Express displacement vector p of mass relative to origin in terms of x, y, d and i. Write down equation of motion of particle, and hence show that x(t) satisfies the differential equation md^2x/dt^2 +rdx/dt+kx=mg+kl+md^2y/dt^2

For (3) I get the following (can someone check):

We are applying Newton's second law here, but there is one extra feature: the acceleration of the box comes in as relative motion. So whatever expression we get for the net force, we need to add a m d^2y / dt^2 to it. I will simply put that into the equation "by hand."

I have a coordinate system with the positive direction upward. So in the Free Body diagram of the mass there is a weight (w) acting downward, a spring force (f) acting upward, and a resistive force (R) from the piston acting downward.

f = kl = k(x - l_0)

w = mg

R = r \frac{dx}{dt}

So Newton's second in the vertical direction gives:
m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -mg + k(x - l_0) - r \frac{dx}{dt} + m \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}

(4) Suppose displacement vector y is given by y=acos(ft), where a is input amplitude, and f is omega (forcing angular frequency). Show that M, the given ratio of the amplitude A of the steady state output oscillations to a is given by:

M=A/a=mf^2/SQRT((k-mf^2)^2+r^2f^2)

I haven't got a clue with this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Attachments

• MST209 TMA05 Q1i.JPG
    MST209 TMA05 Q1i.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
For part (2), am I right in thinking that the following are the forces acting on the particle:

W=-mgi
R=rxi
H=k(l-l0)s

note the x term in R has a dot on the top (ie function of velocity I think

This block really sucks.

The dot means the its the derivative of x(t)...

I think somebody might be more inclined to help if you didnt present the problems in Latex code.

Can somebody help? Please?

Related to Linear Damping Model: Help Solving Forces & Displacement Vector

1. What is a linear damping model?

A linear damping model is a mathematical representation of the forces acting on an object and how they affect its displacement over time. It takes into account the damping force, which is a resistance force that opposes the motion of the object.

2. How is a linear damping model used?

A linear damping model is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of objects in motion. It helps to predict the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object under the influence of damping forces.

3. What is the equation for a linear damping model?

The equation for a linear damping model is F = -bv, where F is the damping force, b is the damping coefficient, and v is the velocity of the object. This equation can be used to calculate the damping force at any given velocity.

4. How does a linear damping model affect displacement?

A linear damping model affects displacement by slowing down the motion of an object. As the object moves, the damping force acts in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to lose energy and eventually come to a stop at its equilibrium position.

5. How can I solve for displacement using a linear damping model?

To solve for displacement using a linear damping model, you can use the equation x = x0 + (v0/w)e-wt * cos(wt + φ), where x0 is the initial displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, w is the natural frequency of the object, t is time, and φ is the phase angle. This equation takes into account the initial conditions of the object and the damping coefficient to calculate the displacement over time.