Linear Interpolation in MATLAB: Troubleshooting and Tips

In summary, the conversation is about using MATLAB to perform interpolation on a set of data. The code provided uses the 'pchip' parameter for cubic interpolation, but it is suggested to use 'linear' instead. The conversation also touches on displaying data in a table format using the array2table() function. Lastly, there is an issue with the code only outputting the last values instead of a table of values.
ineedhelpnow
View attachment 5032hi! here's my question. here's my code. i have no idea what to do now :(

Code:
x = 0:9;
y = [0.053 1.477 1.970 3.279 4.153 4.934 5.178 5.828 6.082 6.484]; % data
X = linspace(0,8.5,1);
Y = interp1(x,y,X,'pchip')

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
I know nothing about MATLAB, but isn't the parameter [m]'pchip'[/m] used for cubic interpolation?

It seems to be after looking at the MATLAB documentation, we want to begin with code like:

Code:
v = [0.053 1.477 1.970 3.279 4.153 4.934 5.178 5.828 6.082 6.484];
xq = 0.5:8.5;
vq = interp1(v,xq);

thank you :) yeah it should have been linear

ineedhelpnow said:
thank you :) yeah it should have been linear

Do you have any examples where data is displayed in a table format?

no :( that's mainly what I am stuck on

ineedhelpnow said:
no :( that's mainly what I am stuck on

It looks like the [m]array2table()[/m] function could be a place to look. :D

Thank You! There's another problem with my code. Like when I print it I'll only get the last values. Not a table of values

1. What is linear interpolation in MATLAB?

Linear interpolation in MATLAB is a method of estimating unknown data points in a set of data by drawing a straight line between two known data points and finding the value of the unknown point on that line.

2. How is linear interpolation different from other interpolation methods in MATLAB?

Linear interpolation differs from other methods, such as polynomial or spline interpolation, in that it assumes a linear relationship between data points. This means that the estimated values may not be as accurate for highly nonlinear data sets.

3. How do I perform linear interpolation in MATLAB?

To perform linear interpolation in MATLAB, you can use the "interp1" function. This function takes in a set of known data points and an array of x-values for the unknown points. It then returns an array of estimated y-values for those x-values using linear interpolation.

4. Can linear interpolation be used for data sets with missing values?

Yes, linear interpolation can be used to estimate missing values in a data set. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of these estimates may be affected by the spacing of the known data points and the linearity of the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear interpolation in MATLAB?

One limitation of linear interpolation in MATLAB is that it assumes a linear relationship between data points, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not accurately estimate values for data sets with large gaps between known points or for highly nonlinear data.