Linear or conjugate operators and automorphisms on the lattice of subspaces

In summary, Varadarajan is discussing the theorem 2.1 in his book "Geometry of quantum theory". He mentions that it is proved in "Linear algebra and projective geometry" by Baer. He also mentions that there are infinitely many automorphisms of ℂ, and that the proof of theorem 4.29 requires nothing fancier than the projection theorem.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm reading about symmetries in QM in "Geometry of quantum theory" by Varadarajan. In one of the proofs, he refers to theorem 2.1, which is stated without proof. He says that the theorem is proved in "Linear algebra and projective geometry" by Baer. That isn't very helpful, since he doesn't even mention what part of the book I should be looking at. Also, since I have no interest in vector spaces over fields (or division rings) other than ℂ, I'm not particularly eager to search for the relevant stuff in Baer's book. So I'm wondering if someone recognizes this theorem, and can give me better reference.

I think I will only need a simplified version of the theorem: Let V be a finite-dimensional inner product space over ℂ. Let L be the lattice of subspaces of V, partially ordered by inclusion. For each T:V→V, we define ##\alpha_T:L\to L## by ##\alpha_T(M)=T(M)## for all M in L.

(a) If T:V→V is bijective, and either linear or conjugate linear, then ##\alpha_T## is an automorphism of L.
(b) If ##\alpha:L\to L## is an automorphism of L, then there's either a linear bijection T:V→V such that ##\alpha=\alpha_T##, or a conjugate linear bijection T:V→V such that ##\alpha=\alpha_T##. This T is unique up to multiplication by a complex number.

Part (a) is probably easy to prove. I just haven't tried it yet. I expect (b) to be a bit tricky though.

Edit: The thread title should say "linear or conjugate linear operators", not "unitary/antiunitary operators". I was half-way through this post before I realized that the theorem doesn't even mention an inner product.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I found the relevant theorem in Baer's text. It is essentially section III.1 that is important.
I'll type the proof out for you in the complex case, but it may take a while because it's fairly long.

However, I'm not sure that the theorem in your OP even holds true. Both Varadarajan and Baer say something different. They say that for each automorphism [itex]\alpha:L\rightarrow L[/itex], there exists an automorphism [itex]\theta:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/itex] and a bijective map [itex]T:V\rightarrow V[/itex] such that

[tex]T(\alpha v+\beta w)=\theta(\alpha) T(v)+\theta(\beta)T(w)[/tex]

This map T is linear if [itex]\theta[/itex] is the identity and is conjugate-lineari if [itex]\theta[/itex] is the complex conjugation. But there are more automorphisms of [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] than just those two.

PS I edited the thread title for you.

Thanks. Varadarajan mentioned after the theorem that there are infinitely many automorphisms of ℂ, and added that "the identity and complex conjugation are the only analytically well-behaved ones (e.g. measurable, bounded, etc)". But you're right, the theorem doesn't say that there's a well-behaved automorphism, it just says that there's an automorphism...

I will take a look at the theorem in Baer tomorrow. Thanks for finding it for me. You may want to wait until I've had a chance to look at it before you start typing up a version of it just for me. :smile:

By the way, the theorem I'm actually interested in is 4.29. Its proof refers to theorem 4.27, and the proof of 4.27 refers back to theorem 2.1. I still haven't read enough to know what exactly I need from theorem 2.1 or Baer's book.

I'm also reading an article from 1964 by Bargmann, "Note on Wigner's theorem on symmetry operations", that's supposed to prove a version of theorem 4.29 in an "elementary" way. It looks like it doesn't require anything fancier than the projection theorem, but it's written in a way that makes it hard to follow anyway.

1. What is a linear or conjugate operator on a lattice of subspaces?

A linear or conjugate operator on a lattice of subspaces is a function that maps one subspace to another subspace in a way that preserves the linear structure of the lattice. In other words, it is a function that takes in two subspaces and returns another subspace that is a linear combination of the two original subspaces.

2. What is an automorphism on a lattice of subspaces?

An automorphism on a lattice of subspaces is a bijective linear mapping that preserves the structure and relationships between the subspaces in the lattice. In simpler terms, it is a function that maps each subspace in the lattice to another subspace in the same lattice in a way that maintains the lattice's linear structure.

3. What is the significance of linear or conjugate operators and automorphisms on the lattice of subspaces?

Linear or conjugate operators and automorphisms on the lattice of subspaces are important in the study of linear algebra and functional analysis. They allow us to understand the structure and properties of subspaces in a lattice, and to identify transformations that preserve this structure.

4. How do linear or conjugate operators and automorphisms relate to other mathematical concepts?

Linear or conjugate operators and automorphisms are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as linear transformations, vector spaces, and group theory. They also have applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and signal processing.

5. Can linear or conjugate operators and automorphisms be represented by matrices?

Yes, linear or conjugate operators and automorphisms can be represented by matrices. In fact, the properties of these operators and automorphisms can be studied and understood through their corresponding matrix representations. This allows for the use of powerful mathematical tools and techniques in their analysis.