Linear particle accelerator design

In summary: The design for fast particles is different, as it would be useless to use a superconducting cavity for a particle that is already traveling close to the speed of light.
emoney
I have a qustion about two types of accelerating designs.

In these types of design the plates get longer or spaced apart because the frequency of the RF power is constant but the particle is acclerated so it covers more distance in less time.
acc-linac-schema.png
The other type of design looks like this:
image037.png

2981_5.jpg

My question is, is why in these superconducting Rf accelerators that the units do not get place farther apart or grow in length as the beam go through.

What I am thinking is that the design with the plates increasing in spacing is for slow moving particle charged particles where acceleration is very large, and that the other design is for when the particles are already traveling very fast and acceleration very little so spacing is less important.

Is that right? or is there a different reason?
I

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to double check if these are all standing wave structure or if one of them is a traveling wave structure. The rf frequency used can also be a determining factor here. In addition, are these linacs used at the very beginning of the acceleration (i.e. Such as at the photoinjector) or are they where the particle bunches are already relativistic?

There are a lot of details here that are missing.

BTW, topics on accelerator science normally belongs in the Classical Physics forum, since classical E&M is usually the main subject area involved, such as in this one.

Zz.

I moved the thread.
emoney said:
What I am thinking is that the design with the plates increasing in spacing is for slow moving particle charged particles where acceleration is very large, and that the other design is for when the particles are already traveling very fast and acceleration very little so spacing is less important.
Right.
The superconducting RF cavities are typically used for electrons in the hundreds of MeV to GeV range, where the difference to the speed of light is negligible. It has to be, because frequency and wavelength in those cavities are linked via the speed of light (with some corrections due to the shape of the cavities).

Related to Linear particle accelerator design

What is a linear particle accelerator?

A linear particle accelerator, also known as a linac, is a type of particle accelerator that uses radiofrequency (RF) waves to accelerate charged particles along a straight path. It is commonly used in scientific research to study the behavior and properties of particles at high energies.

How does a linear particle accelerator work?

A linear particle accelerator works by using a series of accelerating structures, called cavities, to impart energy to the particles as they travel through the accelerator. The particles are initially injected into the accelerator and then guided along a straight path by a series of magnets. As they pass through each cavity, the particles are accelerated by the electric fields created by the RF waves.

What types of particles can be accelerated in a linear particle accelerator?

Linear particle accelerators can accelerate a wide range of particles, including electrons, protons, and heavy ions. The type of particle used depends on the purpose of the accelerator and the specific research being conducted.

What are the main components of a linear particle accelerator?

The main components of a linear particle accelerator include a particle source, an injector, accelerating cavities, a beam transport system, and a target or experimental area. The particle source produces the particles to be accelerated, while the injector prepares and accelerates them to the desired energy. The accelerating cavities provide the necessary energy to the particles, and the beam transport system guides and focuses the particle beam. The target or experimental area is where the accelerated particles are used for research purposes.

What are some applications of linear particle accelerators?

Linear particle accelerators have a wide range of applications in scientific research, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and materials science. They are also used for medical purposes, such as cancer treatment, and in industrial processes, such as sterilization and materials testing. Additionally, linear accelerators are used to generate X-rays for medical imaging and security screening.