Linear regression and measured values

In summary, the conversation discusses using linear regression to identify a synchronous generator and the potential for multiple solutions with similar error estimates. The speaker also mentions the possibility of running tests to determine the magnitude of measurement errors and improve the accuracy of the model. They also mention the need for literature and theory resources to learn more about the subject.
MechatronO
So I'm trying to identify a system that happens to be a synchronus generator via linear regression. I've got a model with the unknown coefficients A, B and C, and the measured variables I, w and T according to

I(w, T) = A*T + B*w + C

1. What I fear is that I could get multiple solutions that all are very similar in their error estimates. But, due to measurement errors, the one that shows the smallest error isn't the most accurate estimation in reality. Am I thinking correctly here?

2. I do have the possibility to run a number of tests with a fixed T, only varing W. Thus I can create a an approximate partial derivate of the function so

∂ I/∂w = B

Then I can have the value for B fixed, when searching for the values for A and C in a mesurement series with a varying T. Would this statistically decrease the risk for what is describe in (1)? I cannot get A with the same method, as I can't lock the value for w.

Any litterature and theory tips would be great so that I can learn more.

Physics news on Phys.org
the one that shows the smallest error isn't the most accurate estimation in reality
That is unavoidable when there are unknown errors. Linear regression that fits well is probably as good as you can do unless you have better knowledge about the physics of the generator or the measurement errors. If you fix both T and W for several tests, you can get an idea of the magnitude of the measurement errors. That will tell you the most you can expect from even the best model.

1. What is linear regression and how is it used in science?

Linear regression is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between two continuous variables. It is commonly used in science to identify patterns and trends in data and make predictions based on those patterns.

2. How are measured values used in linear regression?

Measured values, also known as data points, are used in linear regression to plot a scatter plot and calculate the line of best fit. This line represents the relationship between the two variables and can be used to make predictions for new data points.

3. What is the difference between simple linear regression and multiple linear regression?

Simple linear regression involves only one independent variable and one dependent variable, while multiple linear regression involves more than one independent variable and one dependent variable. Multiple linear regression allows for the analysis of more complex relationships between variables.

4. How is the accuracy of a linear regression model determined?

The accuracy of a linear regression model is determined by calculating the coefficient of determination, also known as R-squared. This value represents the percentage of variation in the dependent variable that can be explained by the independent variable(s). A higher R-squared value indicates a more accurate model.

5. Can linear regression be used for non-linear relationships?

No, linear regression is only suitable for analyzing linear relationships between variables. If the relationship is non-linear, a different type of regression analysis, such as polynomial regression, would be more appropriate.