Linear systems: Tmax = Umax is not making sense

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a conservative system and the relationship between kinetic and potential energy. It is stated that if there is no friction or damping force, then the system is conservative. The equation delta(T+U)=0 or T+U=constant is shown, indicating that the max kinetic energy is equal to the max potential energy. However, it is pointed out that this is false in general, as potential energy depends on the reference level. The conversation also mentions an example involving a mass oscillating on a horizontal spring, where the max kinetic energy and max potential energy are attained at different times. It is concluded that the equation 1/2mx`^2=1/2kx^2 does not make
LT72884
Homework Statement
NA
Relevant Equations
delta(T+U)=0
We have a slide in class that states if no friction or damping force, then the system is conservative. Then it shows:

delta(T+U)=0 or T+U=constant. It then goes on to say that max kinetic energy is equal to max potential energy which is false.

no way can you have KEmax=Pemax... I double checked the slide and the book, and both say the same thing. Tmax=Umax.

1643907680664.png

T is KE and U is PE. From every physics, dynamics, fluids, and statics course i have taken, when KE is max, PE is min. As a ball bounces or a spring bounces, at the bottom, velocity is high, and height is low. Holding a ball in my hand 3 feet from the ground, it has max PE, but no velocity so KE is min. If i drop the ball, near the bottom, velocity is high and the height of the ball is low.

thanks. Need some help understanding where they are coming from with this approach. even this simple website agrees with me:

https://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1150/06WrkEng/EngConsrv.html

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not saying that max kinetic energy is obtained at the same time as max potential energy. It is saying that the max kinetic energy (obtained at the same time as the lowest potential) is the same as the max potential (obtained when kinetic energy is zero).

However, this is still false in general as potential energy depends on where you put your reference level. It is true only if you put the reference level at the lowest point of the potential.

Orodruin said:
It is not saying that max kinetic energy is obtained at the same time as max potential energy. It is saying that the max kinetic energy (obtained at the same time as the lowest potential) is the same as the max potential (obtained when kinetic energy is zero).

However, this is still false in general as potential energy depends on where you put your reference level. It is true only if you put the reference level at the lowest point of the potential.
still does not make sense because now, after finding the equation of motion for my spring system, the example tells me to set 1/2mx`^2=1/2kx^2. these two are not equal to me, at all.

thanks

Gravitational PE is often expressed as ##U = -\frac{GMm}{r}##, which gives ##U_{max} = 0##.

Personally, I wouldn't waste any time worrying about what the authors had in mind.

LT72884 said:
still does not make sense because now, after finding the equation of motion for my spring system, the example tells me to set 1/2mx`^2=1/2kx^2. these two are not equal to me, at all.
It sounds like you are analysing a mass oscillating on a horizontal spring (which you hadn't mentioned previously).

##T_{max}## is attained when the mass passes through the equilibrium position. At that moment ##T=T_{max}=E_{total}##.

##U_{max}## is attained when the mass is at maximum displacement. At that moment ##U=U_{max}=E_{total}##.

##T_{max}## and ##U_{max}## are equal values. ##T=T_{max}## and ##U=U_{max}## at different times, as explained by @Orodruin.

There are four points in each cycle where ##\frac 1 2 m\dot x^2=\frac 1 2kx^2## (where kinetic and elastic potential energies are equal). At these points
##T=U = \frac {E_{total}}{2}##.

Minor edits.

1. Why does Tmax = Umax not make sense in linear systems?

In linear systems, Tmax and Umax represent two different variables - Tmax is the maximum temperature and Umax is the maximum voltage. These two variables cannot be equated as they have different units and represent different physical quantities.

2. Is Tmax = Umax a valid equation in linear systems?

No, Tmax = Umax is not a valid equation in linear systems. As mentioned earlier, Tmax and Umax represent different variables and cannot be equated.

3. Can Tmax and Umax be compared in linear systems?

Yes, Tmax and Umax can be compared in linear systems. However, they should be compared using appropriate mathematical operations such as greater than, less than, or equal to. For example, Tmax > Umax would mean that the maximum temperature is greater than the maximum voltage.

4. What is the significance of Tmax and Umax in linear systems?

Tmax and Umax are important variables in linear systems as they represent the maximum values of temperature and voltage, respectively. These values are useful in analyzing the behavior and performance of the system.

5. How can Tmax = Umax be corrected in linear systems?

Tmax = Umax cannot be corrected in linear systems as it is not a valid equation. However, if you are trying to equate two variables, make sure they have the same units and represent the same physical quantity. Otherwise, use appropriate mathematical operations to compare or relate them.