Linewidth of emission and the uncertainty principle

In summary, the linewidth of a certain fluorescing dye molecule is 60nm and the peak emission wavelength is 600nm. The lifetime of the dye molecule in the excited state is 1ns and the energy in joules is 1.05x10^-25 J. To determine if the linewidth is a result of the uncertainty principle, we can use the equation ΔEΔt ≥ h/2pi and plug in the given Δt and calculate an energy. Then, using the given peak emission wavelength and the calculated energy, we can find the fractional uncertainty in wavelength using the equation λ=hc/E. Comparing this value to the given linewidth, we can determine if the uncertainty principle is responsible for the linewidth of the
Kweh-chan

Homework Statement

The linewidth of a certain fluorescing dye molecule is 60nm and the peak emission wavelength is 600nm. The lifetime of the dye molecule in the excited state is 1ns. Determine whether the linewidth of the emission is a result of the uncertainty principle.
(it may be helpful to convert wavelengths into appropriate frequency units)

Homework Equations

ΔEΔt ≥ h/2pi
λ = c/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for energy in joules
ΔE ≥ h/2pi* Δt
ΔE ≥ (6.626x10^-34 Js)/(2pi * (1.0x10^-9s)) = 1.05x10^-25 J

and in eV
1J = 6.25x10^18 ev
(1.05x10^-25 J) * (6.25x10^18) = 6.56x10^-7 eV

I've also converted 600x10^-9m into a frequency of v = 5x10^14
I haven't converted the 60nm as it says it's a linewidth, which I am assuming is a distance, rather than a wavelength.

I have some notes about a similar problem from last year, and after determining energy, it calculates "fractional uncertainty in energy," and since there are no units in these notes (which were printed and provided for us), I am not entirely certain how to calculate this or if it is even relevant to the problem at hand.

The notes then go onto a calculation which does as follows
λ=hc/E --> dλ = (-hc/E^2) * dE = -(hc/E)*(dE/E) = λ*(frac. unc. in energy)
According to this, this will get me to fractional uncertainty in wavelength. I understand this equation, but just not how to get to this point, or, again, if it is even relevant.

I have tried putting these two piece of information together to help me get to my answer, but I cannot quite seem to make a connection. I am guessing I will use the energy I calculated to deduce another wavelength value and use that to compare to the one given to me, in order to determine if the one given comes from the uncertainty...but I still am confused about where the linewidth then comes in.

Physics news on Phys.org
(it may be helpful to convert wavelengths into appropriate frequency units)

Personally I would take this as a hint and begin here,

then consider the equation they have given you ΔEΔt ≥ h/2pi

You have now, the Δt, but not an energy.

But you do have a frequency...

1. What is the linewidth of emission?

The linewidth of emission refers to the range of frequencies emitted by a light source. It is a measure of the spectral width of the light and can be used to determine the coherence and stability of the light source.

2. How is the linewidth of emission related to the uncertainty principle?

According to the uncertainty principle, there is a fundamental limit to how precisely we can measure both the position and momentum of a particle. This also applies to photons, which have a dual nature as both particles and waves. The linewidth of emission is a result of this uncertainty, as the more precisely we measure the frequency of a photon, the less certain we are about its arrival time, and vice versa.

3. Can the linewidth of emission be reduced?

Yes, the linewidth of emission can be reduced by increasing the coherence length of the light source. This can be achieved by using a more stable and precise light source, such as a laser, or by using techniques like optical cavities to enhance the coherence of the emitted light.

4. Why is the linewidth of emission important in spectroscopy?

The linewidth of emission is important in spectroscopy because it affects the resolution and accuracy of the measurements. A narrower linewidth allows for more precise and detailed spectral analysis, while a broader linewidth can obscure important features in the spectrum.

5. How does the linewidth of emission affect the lifetime of excited states?

The linewidth of emission is directly related to the lifetime of excited states. A broader linewidth indicates a shorter lifetime, as the excited state decays more quickly and emits a wider range of frequencies. Conversely, a narrower linewidth indicates a longer lifetime, as the excited state decays more slowly and emits a narrower range of frequencies.