Link between CP violation and supersymmetry?

In summary, the conversation discussed the CP violation of B mesons as a key factor in casting doubt over SUSY. The decay of Bs mesons to two muons is not directly related to CP violation, but new fields or particles could enhance the branching fraction significantly. This poses a concern for SUSY models, as they may predict a higher branching fraction than what is observed in experiments. This highlights the possibility of additional channels in SUSY processes, which can change the predicted events and potentially disfavor SUSY models.
epsilon
I have been looking in SUSY and have seen that the CP violation of B mesons into two muons is one of the key facts that has cast further doubt over SUSY. I don t really understand how the CP violation of B mesons is a sign of SUSY issues, so if you are able to clear this up for me that would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean the decay of Bs mesons to two muons. This has nothing to do with CP violation. The standard model prediction for the branching fraction is tiny, but new fields/particles could have enhanced that significantly as they could add new decay mechanisms.

Yes that's what I mean, forgot to include the subscript. Could you explain what you mean by the branching fraction?

The probability that the particle decays to two muons. On average, about 3 out of a billion Bs decay to two muons.

For Bd, the probability is even lower with 1 out of 10 billions.

As for susy issues, I'd say that the main concern about the branching ratios come from the fact that SuSy will allow additional channels for a process...
So let's say that for the SM you have X% predicted events...
and for SM+SUSY you have X+Y % predicted events...
If experiment allows for X% but not for X+Y% then SUSY [models] gets disfavored. Of course you have a lot of parameters to play with in such scenarios, like playing with the masses of the spartners and so on... But the more you play with it, SuSy can change a lot..

Last edited:

1. What is CP violation and how does it relate to supersymmetry?

CP violation is a phenomenon in physics where particles and their antiparticles behave differently. It is linked to supersymmetry because the theory predicts the existence of superpartners for each known particle, and these superpartners may have different CP properties.

2. What evidence is there for a link between CP violation and supersymmetry?

Several experiments, including the Large Hadron Collider, have searched for evidence of supersymmetry and CP violation. While there have been some intriguing results, there is currently no conclusive evidence for a link between the two.

3. How would the discovery of CP violation in supersymmetry impact our understanding of the universe?

If CP violation is observed in supersymmetry, it would provide a deeper insight into the fundamental laws of nature and could potentially help explain the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe.

4. Are there any alternative theories that could explain CP violation without supersymmetry?

Yes, there are other theories that attempt to explain CP violation, such as the Standard Model of particle physics and theories involving extra dimensions. However, supersymmetry remains one of the most promising candidates for a unifying theory that could explain CP violation.

5. Is there ongoing research to further investigate the link between CP violation and supersymmetry?

Yes, there are many ongoing experiments and studies focused on searching for evidence of supersymmetry and CP violation, including at the Large Hadron Collider and other particle accelerators around the world. As our understanding of these concepts continues to evolve, further research will be crucial in uncovering the true nature of the universe.