Link redshift with luminosity distance?

In summary: You only need to calculate the integral once and then use the result as a constant in your program. This will make the code more efficient and avoid unnecessary calculations. In summary, to plot luminosity distance and redshift z, we can use the equation d_L(z)=(1+z)r(z), where r(z) is the comoving distance. To calculate r(z), we can use the equation r(z)=H_0^-1/\sqrt\Omega_K*sinn[\sqrt\Omega_K\int_0^z(dz'/\sqrt\Omega_M(1+z')^3)], where \Omega_K is a measure of openness or closedness of the universe and sinn(x)=x in a flat universe. In the specific case
June_cosmo

Homework Statement

Plot luminosity distance and redshift z

Homework Equations

$$d_L(z)=(1+z)r(z)$$
where [itex]d_L(z)[/itex] is luminosity distance and r(z) is the comoving distance.
and we have
$$r(z)= \frac{H_0^{-1}}{\sqrt\Omega_K}*sinn[\sqrt{\Omega_K}\int_0^z\frac{dz'}{\sqrt{\Omega_M(1+z')^3}}]$$
where [itex]\Omega_K[/itex]is a measure of openness or closedness of the universe, sinn(x)=x in flat universe.
Suppose we consider a universe that is both flat and matter dominant, where [itex]\Omega_K=0[/itex],and [itex]\Omega_M=1[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

From the information given we know that
$$H_0d_L(z)=(1+z)\int_0^6\frac{dz'}{\sqrt{(1+z')^3}}$$
but I don't know how do I deal with z' when I plot it in, for example python? Since I don't know what z' equals to

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
June_cosmo said:
$$H_0d_L(z)=(1+z)\int_0^6\frac{dz'}{\sqrt{(1+z')^3}}$$
but I don't know how do I deal with z' when I plot it in, for example python? Since I don't know what z' equals to
z' is not equal to anything. It's what's called a dummy variable, like a looping variable in Python.
Nor do you need to program the integral calculation. Just work out the definite integral and you'll get a number that does not change with z. Work out the number once, then hard-code it into your program as a constant.

andrewkirk said:
z' is not equal to anything. It's what's called a dummy variable, like a looping variable in Python.
Nor do you need to program the integral calculation. Just work out the definite integral and you'll get a number that does not change with z. Work out the number once, then hard-code it into your program as a constant.
Oh so you mean just work out
$$\int_0^6\frac{dz'}{\sqrt{(1+z')^3}}$$
which is approximate 1.24, then just plot
$$H_0d_L(z)=1.24(1+z)?$$

Yes, that's it.

1. What is the relationship between redshift and luminosity distance?

The relationship between redshift and luminosity distance is described by the Hubble's Law, which states that the further away a galaxy or object is from us, the faster it appears to be moving away. Redshift is a measure of this apparent expansion, and luminosity distance is a measure of the distance to the object.

2. How is redshift calculated?

Redshift is calculated using the formula z = (observed wavelength - rest wavelength) / rest wavelength, where z is the redshift value. The observed wavelength is the wavelength of light received from the object, and the rest wavelength is the known or expected wavelength of that light.

3. What does a high redshift value indicate?

A high redshift value indicates that the object is moving away from us at a faster rate, and therefore is further away. This can also be interpreted as the light from the object being stretched to longer wavelengths due to the expansion of the universe.

4. How is luminosity distance related to the distance of an object?

Luminosity distance is a measure of the actual physical distance to an object, taking into account the effects of the expansion of the universe. It is calculated using the observed flux and intrinsic luminosity of the object, and is given by the formula dL = (luminosity / observed flux)^1/2.

5. Why is it important to understand the link between redshift and luminosity distance?

Understanding the relationship between redshift and luminosity distance is crucial in studying the expansion of the universe and the distances of objects in it. It allows us to determine the age and size of the universe, as well as the movement and distribution of galaxies. Additionally, it helps us to study the properties and evolution of objects at different distances, providing insights into the history of the universe.