Links between sub-fields of mathematics

In summary, the conversation discussed connections between different areas of mathematics, particularly linear algebra and differential equations. The concept of basis and spanning sets were mentioned, as well as other related topics. The individual asked for recommendations on further reading and resources on the topic.
NotGauss
Hello all!
Today I was in my vector calculus course (as a student) and we were learning about/calculating the unit tangent vector (T(t)) and principal unit normal vector(N(t)). We calculated T(1) and then moved onto N(1), ((1) our arbitrary point to see how it plays out). Nevertheless, after calculating N(1) with way too much algebra in my point of view and being told that/realizing that N(1) is orthogonal to T(1), I though "hey! i just did this in linear algebra and it took about 1/10th of the time and calculations by using transformations", and blurted this out in class. ( insert, smile from math teach, rumbles about linear algebra from fellow students that had to learn dets in calculus)
So, getting closer to the point,in the past two weeks I read Love and Math by Edward Frenkel and Fermat's Enigma by Simon Singh, which in both books stressed the actual and possibility of interconnected sub-fields of mathematics. So without further delay, what are some additional connections that would be interesting to an undergrad mathematics student such as myself? Excluded the beauties of analytical geometry...of course.

Thanks for your time and help,
Jon

P.S. I was not sure if "General Math" was the correct spot for this posting, but it seemed logical. If not please move to correct forum.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are some strong connections between linear algebra and differential equations, including the similarity between vector spaces and function spaces. The concepts of basis and spanning sets are present in both areas, as are the concepts of kernel, linear independence/dependence, and others.

Mark,
Thank you for the reply, I'll start looking into this over the coming weeks. Would you recommend any book, articles, text or just general GTS?

1. What are the different sub-fields of mathematics?

The main sub-fields of mathematics include algebra, geometry, calculus, number theory, and statistics. However, there are many other sub-fields and interdisciplinary areas within mathematics.

2. How are these sub-fields connected?

Although each sub-field has its own unique focus and techniques, they are all interconnected and build upon one another. For example, algebra is used in calculus, which is used in physics, which is related to geometry, and so on.

3. Are there any overarching principles or concepts that connect all sub-fields of mathematics?

Yes, there are several fundamental principles that are applicable to all areas of mathematics, such as logic, proof, and abstraction. These principles allow mathematicians to create and explore connections between different sub-fields.

4. How can knowledge of one sub-field be applied to another sub-field?

The interconnectedness of sub-fields allows for knowledge and techniques from one area to be applied to another. For example, concepts from calculus can be used in physics and statistics, and geometric principles can be applied to solve algebraic equations.

5. Why is understanding the links between sub-fields important in mathematics?

Understanding the links between sub-fields is crucial in mathematics because it allows for a deeper understanding of the subject as a whole. It also allows for the development of new techniques and applications, and helps in solving complex problems by drawing on knowledge from different areas.