Exploring the Relationship Between Spinors and Clifford Algebras

In summary, the conversation discusses using a particular Clifford algebra expression to represent a quantum mechanics wave vector and its relationship to the Born rule. The expression was successful and can be used to calculate probabilities of measurement. There is a question about whether these expressions effectively represent spinor theory and the connection between spinors and Clifford algebras is mentioned. The speaker is not looking for groups or group representations, but is interested in a particular wave vector with numbers in it that represents one or multiple qubits. They are using a Clifford algebra expression to represent this complex vector and there is a question about whether this construction can be seen as a representation of spinor theory.
Gerenuk
TL;DR Summary
Quantum mechanics of spins and the Born rule are expressed with clifford algebra differently from (most) previous works. Is that a representation for spinors?
I've used a particular clifford algebra expression for a quantum mechanics wave vector to see if the Born rule can become a simple linear inner product in a clifford algebra formulation. The expression

$$\Psi=\sum_i (e_i+Jf_i)\psi_i$$

turned out to be successful, where ##J## is the imaginary unit. For a single spin, I deduce the expression

$$\Omega=J(\Psi\Psi^\dagger-1)=T+Xx+Yy+Zz$$

where ##T,X,Y,Z## are bivectors made from ##e_i,f_i## and ##x,y,z## are the Bloch vector coordinates. This expression encodes all information about the spin and can be used in an inner product with another state to calculate probabilities of measurement. If you are interested, then the attached file explains the missing details. The short story is: Equation (2) means I can use equation (3) to get the probability of measurement and for a single spin you get equation (8) with the rotor for spatial rotations (10).

The question is: Can someone comment if this can be seen as what people mean when they talk about the square root of a vector in spinor theory?

I have an expression for ##\Omega## which has ##x,y,z## coordinates and behaves like a vector with the inner product being the Born rule. I have the wave vector ##\Psi## which is like the square root of it?

The question here is whether these particular expressions effectively represents spinor theory. I'm not looking for explanations about spinors which introduce other mathematical concepts (as I have a lot of those).

Coincidentally, as I was googling for complex clifford algebra, I found a very recent work https://arxiv.org/abs/2201.02246 that start with the same expression, but goes into a slightly different direction:

Attachments

• geometric_algebra_of_spin.pdf
    148.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
May I ask back if I understand it correctly you are asking about the meaning of "a representation of a spinor", and not a "spinor representation" of something else, like e.g. a group or an algebra? I admit I haven't read your paper yet, but I would first rule out any misunderstandings upfront and fully understand what you are asking for.

Michael Atiyah has once been quoted with speaking about the "square root of geometry" , and the connection between spinors and Clifford algebras is deep. In a certain sense it can be exemplified by the fact that you can construct vector representations from spinor representations, but not vice versa, as e.g. formally written as ##\frac12\otimes\frac12 = 0\oplus 1##.

otennert said:
May I ask back if I understand it correctly you are asking about the meaning of "a representation of a spinor", and not a "spinor representation" of something else, like e.g. a group or an algebra? I admit I haven't read your paper yet, but I would first rule out any misunderstandings upfront and fully understand what you are asking for.

Michael Atiyah has once been quoted with speaking about the "square root of geometry" , and the connection between spinors and Clifford algebras is deep. In a certain sense it can be exemplified by the fact that you can construct vector representations from spinor representations, but not vice versa, as e.g. formally written as ##\frac12\otimes\frac12 = 0\oplus 1##.
Thanks for asking. I may not be using the most correct words. I'm not looking for groups which are the set of all representations? I'm looking at a particular wave vector with numbers in it which represents one or multiple qubits. This could be also represented as a complex vector. Instead I rewrite this complex vector with a Clifford Algebra expression, because it makes the maths neater.

I have the impression I'm constructing spinors and vectors all at once, but that's only a guess and I'd love to hear someone who understands my expression. It's a bunch of expressions for common things in basic QM. You may assume the algebra is right.

1. What are spinors?

Spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of particles in quantum mechanics. They are represented by vectors in a complex vector space and are essential for understanding phenomena such as electron spin and quantum entanglement.

2. How are spinors represented?

Spinors can be represented in a variety of ways, depending on the specific mathematical context. In general, they are represented by vectors in a complex vector space, with the number of components depending on the dimension of the space. For example, in 3-dimensional space, spinors are represented by 2-component vectors, while in 4-dimensional space-time, they are represented by 4-component vectors.

3. What is the significance of spinors in physics?

Spinors play a crucial role in modern physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and particle physics. They are essential for understanding the properties of elementary particles and the behavior of quantum systems. Spinors are also used in other areas of physics, such as general relativity and string theory.

4. How do spinors differ from vectors and tensors?

Spinors are often confused with vectors and tensors because they are all mathematical objects represented by arrays of numbers. However, spinors have unique mathematical properties that distinguish them from vectors and tensors. For example, spinors transform differently under rotations and are subject to different mathematical rules.

5. Are spinors only relevant in theoretical physics?

No, spinors have practical applications in various fields, including quantum computing, materials science, and even medical imaging. In quantum computing, spinors are used to represent quantum states, while in materials science, they are used to describe the electronic properties of materials. Spinors are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).