Links for these concepts please

In summary, the conversation centered around mathematical concepts related to classical mechanics, specifically focusing on tangents, normals, radius of curvature, spherical, polar, and cylindrical coordinates, and Taylor series. The OP was struggling to understand these concepts and asked for help, with some users suggesting using search engines to find more information. The conversation also touched on the importance of having a strong mathematical foundation before diving into more complex topics.
manimaran1605
I am presently undergoing a course in Classical mechanics, here are some mathematical concepts that i haven't understand properly, These are the concepts
1) Tangent, normal , Radius of curvature of a vector function at a point
2) spherical, polar and cylindrical co-ordinates
3) taylor series
Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why do you need someone here to give you links when you could just look them up yourself?

That's what search engines like google and yahoo are for. The internet: it's more than just sharing cat videos!

Just wait a second, I'm typing a reply for you, it only takes some time.
As soon as I am done having diner, I will reply, just wait for approx. 2 hours.

Are you having dinner in a diner or at home?

Like phinds said, it is easier for you to just google it. Because many others were dealing with the same problems, but i will just asume that you already did that and still did not understand everything - or I will just did it to be nice.

Anyway, let's start with your first question:

1) tangent

I've got one image for you, just so you can visualize what we are talking about [PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Cercle_tangente_rayon.svg.
A tangent line is just a line which gives the slope at a certain point of the function. In the image the function was a circle.

1) normal

The normal to a function is just a line perpendicular to the tangent at that point.

1) Radius of curvature, I will explain that one later. First I need to be sure that you understand what i just explained.

2) Spherical coördinates, those are the coördinates which are normally used when you want to calculate for instance the volume of a sphere, or just a part of a sphere.
I can into detail, but you need to tell me first wat exactly you want to know. Before I tell you more than you want to know and you start to get confused.
Polar coördinates are the coordinates which you will use for a 2D sphere; a circle.
But once again, tell me what you want to know.
Cylindrical coördinates are used to calculate the surface, volume and more of cylinders.

3) Taylor series: a Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point.
I assume you know what a derivative is?

I know this will not help a lot, but tell me more about the things you want to know exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
It sounds like the OP has jumped into classical mechanics without having the proper mathematical foundation.

If the OP is hazy on what a tangent is, I suspect that the concept of a derivative is also somewhat unclear.

Good Day Manimaran1605!

It sounds like you may need to brush up on trig. A good book that you can get on amazon for a fair price is
Trigonometry Review by Klaf. Its an excellent book to refresh ones memory on Trig...although it will not help you with Taylor Series.

1. What is the purpose of "Links for these concepts please"?

The purpose of "Links for these concepts please" is to provide additional resources or references for a specific concept or topic. These links can be used for further research or to support the information discussed.

2. How can I find "Links for these concepts please"?

"Links for these concepts please" can be found by searching for the specific concept or topic on a search engine or by looking for related links on a website or article. They may also be provided by a teacher or instructor as part of a lesson or assignment.

3. Why are "Links for these concepts please" important in scientific research?

"Links for these concepts please" are important in scientific research because they allow for further exploration and validation of information. They also provide a way for researchers to trace the sources and evidence used in a study or experiment.

4. Are "Links for these concepts please" reliable sources of information?

The reliability of "Links for these concepts please" can vary, as they may come from a variety of sources. It is important to evaluate the credibility and accuracy of each link before using it as a source of information. Generally, links from reputable and authoritative sources, such as government websites or peer-reviewed journals, can be considered reliable.

5. Can "Links for these concepts please" be used as references in a scientific paper?

It is not recommended to use "Links for these concepts please" as references in a scientific paper, as they are typically considered secondary sources of information. It is best to use primary sources, such as research articles or textbooks, as references in a scientific paper. However, "Links for these concepts please" can be used as a starting point for finding reliable sources and references for a specific concept or topic.