Lissajous figures and anisotropic oscillators

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between periodic and non-periodic motion in 2-d anisotropic linear oscillators. The main factor determining whether the motion is periodic is the rationality of the ratio of angular velocities, with a least common multiple existing for rational ratios and no exact least common multiple for irrational ratios. The speaker also seeks confirmation and feedback on their understanding.
klawlor419
I working on a problem involving periodic vs. non-periodic 2-d anisotropic linear oscillators. I am trying to understand why it is that for a ratio of angular velocities that is rational, the motion of the oscillator is periodic. Versus the case where the ratio of angular velocities in irrational. From what I can understand thus far it really comes down to whether or not a least common multiple exists. For the case where the angular velocity ratio is rational, a least common multiple clearly exists. There is some definite time interval at which the motion will repeat itself. For the case where the ratio is irrational, there is no exact least common multiple for periods of motion.

Is this correct? Am I missing something? Comments appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, that's basically it.

1. What are Lissajous figures?

Lissajous figures are visual patterns that occur when two simple harmonic oscillations, such as those of a sine and cosine wave, are graphed against each other. They are also known as Bowditch curves or Lissajous curves.

2. How are Lissajous figures created?

Lissajous figures are created by graphing the x and y positions of two simple harmonic oscillators against each other. The ratio of the frequencies of the oscillations determines the shape of the Lissajous figure.

3. What is the significance of Lissajous figures?

Lissajous figures have many applications in science and engineering, such as in the study of vibrations and resonance. They are also commonly used in oscilloscopes to visualize the relationship between two electrical signals.

4. What are anisotropic oscillators?

Anisotropic oscillators are oscillators that have different properties in different directions. This means that their behavior and motion can vary depending on the direction in which they are observed.

5. How are Lissajous figures related to anisotropic oscillators?

Lissajous figures can be created by anisotropic oscillators, as their varying properties in different directions can result in unique and complex Lissajous patterns. Additionally, the study of Lissajous figures can provide insights into the behavior of anisotropic oscillators.