List of Books to use for self-study before AP classes

In summary, the person is planning on taking a variety of AP classes and is seeking book recommendations for studying. They mention AP classes in math and computer science, as well as in various science subjects. They are having trouble finding a good recommendation and suggest searching the web or visiting a library. They also mention taking AP Calculus BC and all science APs except Earth and Environmental, and ask for help finding out which books their school uses for those courses. They note that there are many textbooks available and suggest searching for discussions on introductory college/university physics textbooks.
General Scientist
I plan on taking a multitude of AP classes next year. I would like some books that I should buy for good study.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried really hard to read your mind, but I am weak and you will have to help me. What do you meant by AP?

Likes Bystander
Baluncore said:
I tried really hard to read your mind, but I am weak and you will have to help me. What do you meant by AP?
AP is Advanced Placement Classes.

I doubt your question can be answered because AP covers such a wide range of possibilities.

Math and Computer Sciences.
AP Calculus AB
AP Calculus BC
AP Computer Science A
AP Computer Science Principles
AP Statistics

Sciences.
AP Biology
AP Chemistry
AP Environmental Science
AP Physics 1
AP Physics 2
AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism
AP Physics C: Mechanics

There is no simple answer. Maybe search the web, or visit a library.

Then what about the sciences. I plan of taking AP Calc BC, and all the Science APs except Earth and Environmental. I haven't found a good recommendation because my searches lead to a list of books for each AP which doesn't really help decision making.

Can you find out which books your school uses for those courses?

At the introductory level in most subjects, there are many textbooks available, and it's largely a matter of instructors' or students' taste which ones are "best."

In this forum, people often discuss introductory college/university physics textbooks, so you might try searching for those threads. Algebra/trig based intro physics books are suitable for AP Physics 1 and 2; calculus-based ones are suitable for AP Physics C.

What is the purpose of a list of books for self-study before AP classes?

A list of books for self-study before AP classes is meant to provide students with additional resources to supplement their learning and preparation for the AP exam. These books can cover a wide range of topics and help students gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

How should I choose which books to use for self-study before AP classes?

When selecting books for self-study before AP classes, it is important to consider the specific AP exam you will be taking and the topics that will be covered. Look for books that align with the exam's curriculum and are recommended by teachers or other trusted sources.

Do I need to use all the books on the list for self-study before AP classes?

No, you do not need to use all the books on the list. The list is meant to provide a variety of options for students to choose from. It is recommended to choose a few books that cover different topics and focus on areas where you may need more practice or review.

Can I use other resources besides books for self-study before AP classes?

Yes, there are many other resources besides books that can be used for self-study before AP classes. These may include online practice tests, study guides, videos, and review websites. It is important to use a combination of resources to ensure a well-rounded preparation for the AP exam.

Is self-study before AP classes necessary?

Self-study before AP classes is not required, but it can greatly benefit students who want to excel on the AP exam. It allows for a deeper understanding of the material and more practice, which can lead to a higher score on the exam. However, it is ultimately up to the individual student to decide if self-study is necessary for their personal goals and learning style.