Liter estimations for a plankton net and copepods

• Thread starter Illyaria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Net
In summary, by towing a plankton net for 100 meters, approximately 9.917x10^2 liters of seawater is filtered through the net. From counting 50 copepods in 1 mL of the collected sample, it can be estimated that there are approximately 50,000 copepods in the entire collection goal, and 5x10^7 copepods per liter of the sampled seawater. To estimate the number of copepods in the top 1 meter of the Pacific Ocean, the volume of the surface area of the ocean will need to be taken into consideration.
Illyaria
1. You tow a plankton net submerged just below the surface of the Pacific Ocean for 100 meters. How many liters of seawater is filtered through the plankton net?

2. You count 50 copepods in 1 mL of the plankton net's collection vial.
A. Estimate the number of copepods in the entire collection goal.
B. Estimate the number of copepods/L of the seawater that you sampled.
C. Estimate the number of copepods in the top 1 meter of the Pacific Ocean.

Relevant information:
Net measurements:
- the circumference of the circular mouth of the net is 47cm. The length of the net is 211cm. The collection vial holds 1000 mL.

My attempts:
1. I determined the volume by mutiplying 47 and 211. I then multipled that answer by 100 to get 9.917x10^5 cm. I converted that to liters and got 9.917x10^2 L.

2. The collection vial is 1000 mL so I multiplied 50 copepods by 1000 to get 50,000 copepods for part A.

Part b: I converted 1 mL to L and divided my answer (50,000) by it to get 5x10^7 copepods per liter.

Part C. I don't even know where to begin but I guess convert my answer from b to meters?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you got the volume in 1 right. Check the units.

You will need Pacific Ocean surface for 2c.

Related to Liter estimations for a plankton net and copepods

1. How do you calculate liter estimations for a plankton net?

To calculate liter estimations for a plankton net, you will need to first measure the dimensions of the net. This includes the length, width, and height. Then, multiply these measurements together to get the total volume of the net in cubic units. Next, convert the cubic units to liters by multiplying the volume by 1000. This will give you the total liter estimation for the plankton net.

2. What is the purpose of calculating liter estimations for a plankton net?

Calculating liter estimations for a plankton net is important because it allows scientists to accurately estimate the amount of plankton collected in a specific area. This information is crucial for studying and understanding the population dynamics of plankton and their role in the marine ecosystem.

3. How do copepods affect plankton net liter estimations?

Copepods, being a type of plankton, can affect the liter estimations for a plankton net because they can be caught in the net along with other plankton species. This means that the total amount of plankton collected in the net may include both copepods and other plankton. Scientists must carefully identify and separate copepods from other plankton species in order to accurately estimate the amount of plankton collected.

4. Can the liter estimations for a plankton net be affected by environmental factors?

Yes, the liter estimations for a plankton net can be affected by environmental factors such as water currents, wind, and temperature. These factors can impact the movement and distribution of plankton in the water, which can result in varying amounts of plankton being collected in the net. It is important for scientists to take these factors into consideration when interpreting the results of their plankton net collections.

5. Are there any limitations to using liter estimations for a plankton net?

Yes, there are some limitations to using liter estimations for a plankton net. For example, the net may not capture all types of plankton in a given area, leading to an underestimation of the total plankton population. Additionally, the accuracy of the estimations can also be affected by human error in measuring the dimensions of the net or in identifying and separating different plankton species. These limitations should be considered when using liter estimations for plankton net collections.