Literature on differential geometry, suggestions?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's desire to learn more about differential geometry, specifically in relation to general relativity. They mention their background knowledge in topology and multivariable calculus, and ask for suggestions on resources to further their understanding. Two recommended books are "Riemannian Manifolds: An Introduction to Curvature" by John M. Lee and "Semi-Riemannian Geometry" by Barrett O'Neill.
saminator910
I am reading Spivak, Calculus on manifolds, and I have a basic working knowledge of topology through Mendelson, "Introduction to Topology", I want to learn more about differential geometry, especially co variant derivatives, levi-civita connections, Ricci and Rieman curvature tensors. I know about the fundamental forms, and Rieman metrics. I am interested in general relativity but It's impossible for me to learn anything substantial about it without learning more about differential geometry. By the way, I am very familiar with differential forms, differentiable manifolds, and the classic multivariable stuff. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try "Riemannian Manifolds: An Introduction to Curvature" by John M. Lee.

Likes 1 person
thanks, any other suggestions?

ONeill's Semi-Riemannian Geometry

As a fellow scientist, I would suggest exploring other textbooks on differential geometry such as "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo Do Carmo or "Riemannian Geometry" by Peter Petersen. These texts provide a more in-depth and comprehensive understanding of the topics you mentioned, including covariant derivatives, Levi-Civita connections, and curvature tensors.

Additionally, I would recommend supplementing your reading with online resources and lectures from experts in the field. This will not only provide a different perspective on the material but also allow for a deeper understanding through visual aids and demonstrations.

In terms of general relativity, I would suggest starting with "Gravitation" by Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler. This textbook provides a thorough introduction to the mathematical concepts and principles of general relativity.

Lastly, I would encourage you to actively engage with the material by attempting practice problems and discussing your understanding with others, whether it be through study groups or online forums. This will solidify your understanding and allow for a more comprehensive grasp of the subject matter.

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using differential and integral calculus. It combines concepts from both geometry and calculus to analyze the geometric properties of objects in spaces of different dimensions.

2. How is differential geometry used in real-world applications?

Differential geometry has many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. It is used to model and analyze the curves and surfaces of objects in these fields, as well as to solve optimization problems.

3. What are some important concepts in differential geometry?

Some important concepts in differential geometry include curvature, geodesics, and connections. Curvature measures how much a curve or surface deviates from being flat, while geodesics are the shortest paths between points on a curved surface. Connections describe how different tangent spaces are related to each other.

4. What are some recommended resources for learning about differential geometry?

There are many excellent textbooks on differential geometry, such as "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo do Carmo and "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John M. Lee. Online resources, such as video lectures and interactive demonstrations, are also available for those interested in self-study.

5. How can I apply differential geometry to my own research?

If your research involves objects with curved surfaces or requires optimization techniques, differential geometry may be a useful tool. You can consult with a mathematician or attend workshops or conferences on differential geometry to learn how to apply its concepts and techniques to your research.