Lithium scattering on iron plate

In summary, the number of Lithium atoms scattering on the neutron plate each second can be calculated using the equation ##\frac{N_x}{dt}=\frac{\rho d N_a}{M} \frac{N_0}{t}\frac{dS}{r^2} (\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##, where ##\rho## is the density of the Fe plate, d is the thickness of the plate, ##N_a## is Avogadro's number, M is the molar mass of Lithium, ##N_0## is the initial flux of Lithium
skrat

Homework Statement

Every second ##N_{Li}=2\cdot 10^8## atoms of ##_3^7Li## with kinetic energy ##30 MeV## is Coulomb scattering on ##_{26}^{56}Fe## plate ##d_{Fe}=0.3mm## thick with density ##\rho =7800kg/m^3##. Under angle of ##30^°## and ##r=0.2m## away from the plate we have a target with surface ##S_n=1cm^2## that contains ##N_n=6\cdot 10^{22}## neutrons.

a) How many Lithium (N) falls on the neutron plate each second?
b) How many Lithium (N') per second deviate due to the scattering on neutron plate? You can say that ##\sigma _n=0.2\cdot 10^{-28} m^2## for one of the Li.

fgfg.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I ask before I show my work? :))

Is it ok if I calculate how much of the original Lithium flux overcomes the Fe plate, where it Coulomb scatters? This should than be the answer to part a) or is it not?

All I am trying to say is that I don't get it why the angle of neutron plate and the distance is important? (not even for part b))

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it ok if I calculate how much of the original Lithium flux overcomes the Fe plate
Would that be in the forward direction ? None of those reach te neutron plate ! What relevant equations do you have available to tackle this problem ?

Well I somehow have to find out how many are scattered in ##d\omega =\frac{dS}{r^2}## I just don't know how.

Equations:

Coulomb

##\frac{\mathrm{d} \sigma }{\mathrm{d} \Omega }=(\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##

For scattering on one particle: ##d \Omega (\frac{\mathrm{d} \sigma }{\mathrm{d} \Omega })=\frac{N}{jdt}## where N is number of particles scattered in ##d\theta ## and ##j## initial flux.

also

##N=\frac{N_pN_t\sigma}{S}## where N is number of reactions, ##N_p## number of projectiles and ##N_t## number of targets.

That's more or less all I have.

Coulomb expression: Well, there is a theta in there ! So the angle is needed. Now about the distance. Where is that hiding ? Or is it absent ? Once that is answered, your conditions for showing your work are fulfilled!

##d\Omega =\frac{dS}{r^2}##

BUT

##N_td\Omega (\frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega })=\frac{N_{on sensor}}{jdt}##

My question: How do I find out the number of Fe in a plate, ##N_t## ? I know nothing about area size of flux.

What about looking around in the given data ? ##\rho## for example ? Area size of flux divides out (you may assume the beam is like a pencil ray). I don't see it in your worked out thingy anyway (?)

BvU said:
What about looking around in the given data ? ##\rho## for example ? Area size of flux divides out (you may assume the beam is like a pencil ray). I don't see it in your worked out thingy anyway (?)

I haven't shown anything yet because I don't think that size of flux divides out.

Let's take a look:

Let me use notation ##N_x## instead of ##N_{on sensor}##.

##N_td\Omega (\frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega })=\frac{N_{x}}{jdt}##

##\frac{N_x}{dt}=N_tjd\Omega (\frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega })=N_tj\frac{dS}{r^2} (\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##

Now ##N_t=\frac{mN_a}{M}=\frac{\rho S d N_a}{M}##. Now here is where it all stops. What am I supposed to do with that S in the numerator?

Ahhh ok, I see it now. Why does this happen to me? o_O Why do i see it now and not days ago?

##j=N/tS##

So ##\frac{N_x}{dt}=N_tjd\Omega (\frac{d\sigma }{d\Omega })=(\frac{\rho S d N_a}{M})\frac{N_0}{tS}\frac{dS}{r^2} (\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##

So the answer should be:

##\frac{N_x}{dt}=\frac{\rho d N_a}{M} \frac{N_0}{t}\frac{dS}{r^2} (\frac{e_1e_2}{16\pi \epsilon _0T})^2\frac{1}{sin^4(\theta /2)}##

1. What is lithium scattering on iron plate?

Lithium scattering on iron plate is a process in which lithium atoms are deposited on the surface of an iron plate and interact with the iron atoms through scattering. This can occur naturally or be intentionally induced in a laboratory setting.

2. How does lithium scattering on iron plate affect the properties of the plate?

The presence of lithium on the surface of an iron plate can alter its physical and chemical properties, such as its conductivity, reactivity, and surface morphology. This can have implications for the performance of the plate in various applications.

3. What are the potential uses of lithium scattering on iron plate?

Lithium scattering on iron plate has potential applications in fields such as energy storage, catalysis, and corrosion resistance. It can also be used for fundamental research in surface science and material science.

4. What techniques are used to study lithium scattering on iron plate?

Various techniques can be used to study lithium scattering on iron plate, including surface analysis techniques such as X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy. Physical and electrochemical characterization techniques can also provide valuable insights.

5. What are the challenges in studying lithium scattering on iron plate?

One of the main challenges in studying lithium scattering on iron plate is controlling the deposition of lithium and ensuring its uniform distribution on the surface. Additionally, the interpretation of experimental data can be complex due to the multitude of factors that can influence the scattering process.

Back