Little trees makes angle around turn

In summary, the angle θ of the Little Trees air freshener, as it hangs from the rear view mirror of a car turning a corner of radius R, can be expressed as arctan(v^2/Rg), where v is the speed of the car and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This is derived from the equations of radial acceleration and net forces, and it shows that the angle is affected by both the speed and the radius of the turn, as well as the strength of gravity.
Calculon

Homework Statement

Your car is smelly so you've placed a Little Trees air freshener in your rear view mirror. You begin to turn around a corner of radius R and the little tree starts to make an angle θ from the vertical. What is the angle θ as a function of the speed v and and radius R?

Homework Equations

radial acceleration= v2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

So I began by drawing a triangle with the hypotenuse representing the tension vector, T, at an angle of Θ from the vertical. I represented the opposite side TsinΘ and the adjacent side as TcosΘ. I then calculated the net forces on the little tree...

∑Fy=TcosΘ-mg=0
∑Fx=TsinΘ=ma

I figured that a here represents the radial acceleration, so I let a= v2/R. Because there is no y movement, I ignored y-axis forces.

So I changed the equation to be:
TsinΘ=mv2/R

This is sort of where I ran into trouble. So I can't have T in the equation so I substituted in T=mg/cosΘ from the y equation. When I plug this into the primary equation, I end up having after cancellation:
gtanΘ=v2/R. I further simplified this to give me the desired function:

arctan(v2/Rg)=Θ

I'm not sure if I did it correctly because I have g left in the final equation, and I'm not sure how to get it out.

This is my first post on this website, I am teaching myself intro mechanics over the summer and I found this off of a university's old exam and there is no solutions guide, so any confirmation or correction of my solution would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well done - why do you need to get rid of the g in the equation - if gravity were stronger, what do you think would happen to the angle the tree hangs for the same centripetal acceleration?

What is the concept of "Little trees makes angle around turn"?

The concept refers to the phenomenon in which small trees or plants along a road or pathway appear to be bending or growing at an angle towards the direction of the turn.

What causes little trees to make angle around turn?

This phenomenon is primarily caused by a phenomenon known as phototropism, where plants grow towards a light source. In this case, the trees are growing towards the sunlight that is coming from the direction of the turn.

Is "Little trees makes angle around turn" a common occurrence?

Yes, it is a common occurrence in areas where there are roads or paths surrounded by trees and there is a significant amount of sunlight coming from one direction.

Can this phenomenon have any negative effects on the trees?

No, this phenomenon does not have any negative effects on the trees. In fact, it is a natural response to the environment and helps the trees to receive more sunlight for photosynthesis.

Are there any other factors that contribute to "Little trees makes angle around turn"?

Aside from phototropism, other factors that may contribute to this phenomenon include wind direction and the structure of the trees, such as the flexibility of their branches.