Living Head in a Vat: Exploring Transplant Possibilities for Terminal Patients

• Medical
  • Thread starter riezer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the idea of keeping a human head alive separate from the body is currently only a speculation and has not been scientifically studied. The technology needed to make this possible is currently beyond our capabilities and there are many challenges that need to be overcome, such as replicating the functions of various organs and tissues and solving the problem of building intricate life support machines. Additionally, the question of the quality of life for the individual in a permanently paralyzed state must also be considered.
riezer
For those with terminal cancers or diseases of the body with intact brain. And noting that the purpose of the body is just to support the brain. How come they don't transfer the head of a bodily terminally ill person to a artificial heart-lung-dialysis, etc. all in one machine such that blood were continuously pumped to the severed living head from the machine? What obstacles to overcome before this thing become possible?

Biology news on Phys.org
There is no peer reviewed/scientific studies that I could find on keeping a human head alive. I did find some speculation in a NOVA tv show about the drawbacks that currently prevent such a thing. It also goes on to speculate about brain transplants and growing brain tissue.

I am posting it here and hopefully some of our medical/biology SA's can weigh in.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/brain-transplants.html

I'm pressed for time right now so I'll make this quick. A few points; The body IS a life support machine for the brain, to make an artificial one would require you to replicate the function of almost every single organ and tissue type (far from what we can do now). There are huge interactions important for health and homeostasis beyond pumping blood, just off of the top of my head you're going to have to solve all the problems of hormone regulation and feedback e.g. interactions between the pituitary gland and the adrenal medulla. So in summary: The technology needed to keep a head a live separate to a body is science fiction, we don't even have to knowledge to be able to tell how we would go about that let alone actually doing it. You'd also have to solve the problem of building life support machines of such intricacy that they can run for decades on end with zero failure.

Secondly if we did have this machine what benefit would it do to the patient to keep them in what is essentially a permanently paralysed state? Sounds like my idea of torture if I would have to be rigged up like that for decades on end with no hope of a cure.

Likes StellarShoe

Related to Living Head in a Vat: Exploring Transplant Possibilities for Terminal Patients

1. What is a living head in a vat?

A living head in a vat refers to the concept of a human head being kept alive in a nutrient-rich liquid, typically as a means of preserving the brain and potentially transplanting it onto a new body.

2. Is this technology currently available?

No, the technology to successfully keep a human head alive in a vat does not yet exist. However, there have been experiments with keeping animal heads alive in this manner.

3. Why would someone want to be a living head in a vat?

In the context of the study, it is being explored as a potential option for terminal patients who have a functioning brain but are otherwise unable to survive due to their illness or injuries. It could potentially offer them a chance at a longer life with a new body.

4. What are the ethical concerns surrounding this topic?

There are many ethical concerns surrounding the idea of a living head in a vat, including the question of whether it is morally justifiable to keep a person alive in this manner, the potential psychological effects on the person, and the implications for society as a whole.

5. What are the potential risks and challenges of this procedure?

Some potential risks and challenges of a living head in a vat procedure could include rejection of the transplanted body, complications with connecting the head to the new body's nervous system, and the psychological and emotional impact on the person undergoing the procedure.