LM555 Timer with Motor: Easy Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter readytolearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Timer
In summary, the conversation discusses using a LM555 8 pin timer to control a motor with a 6v battery. The individual has 30000 ohm, 1000 ohm, and 3000 ohm resistors, as well as a 500 cuf capacitor. They would like the motor to run for approximately 0.5 seconds and then turn off for 10 seconds. They are looking for step-by-step instructions and have also tried using a lightbulb and battery, but were unsuccessful. They are also unsure if the order of the resistors matters and are experiencing issues with their resistors draining all the voltage. They are seeking help with this issue.
readytolearn
Please forgive my inexperience.
I am trying to put a motor , either 3v or 12v, powered by a 6v battery, on a LM555 8 pin timer. I have 30000 ohm resistor, 1000 ohm resistor, 3000 ohm resistor. I also have a 500 cuf capacitor.
I would like it to go on for approx .5s and then off for 10s, times are flexible, but somewhat similar to these.
Step by step would be great!
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
i also have diodes

i also have 100 ohm resistors

readytolearn, Welcome to Physics Forums! No forgiveness is necessary for being inexperienced.

Google and Wikipedia are your friends!

I suggest you use Google and enter the search terms "motor control with 555 timer". There you will find many applications using the 555 to control motors. Select one, try to build it, and if you have a problem come back here and describe the problem. There are lots of members here who will help. Good Luck!

I guess a more appropriate question would be can i use a 6v lightbulb and battery to follow one of the youtube step-by-step for blinking light? This was my endeavor last night and it was a total failure. I used 3 100 ohms and it didnt even turn on , let alone blink. Needless to say, I will have lots of trouble moving from basic light to complicated motor.

Also does the order of the resistors matter?

1. How does the LM555 timer work with a motor?

The LM555 timer is a popular integrated circuit that is used to generate precise and stable time delays, oscillations, and pulse width modulation. It can be connected to a motor by using the output signal to trigger a motor driver circuit, allowing the motor to turn on and off at specific intervals.

2. What is the maximum load that the LM555 timer can handle?

The LM555 timer can handle a maximum load of 200mA. It is important to check the datasheet of the specific LM555 model being used to determine its maximum load capacity.

3. Can the LM555 timer be used for speed control of a motor?

Yes, the LM555 timer can be used for speed control of a motor by varying the duty cycle of the output signal. This can be done by adjusting the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit.

4. How can I protect the LM555 timer from overheating when used with a motor?

To protect the LM555 timer from overheating, a heat sink can be attached to the IC. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the motor being used does not exceed the maximum load capacity of the LM555 timer.

5. Can the LM555 timer be used with both AC and DC motors?

Yes, the LM555 timer can be used with both AC and DC motors as long as the motor driver circuit is designed to handle the specific type of motor being used. It is important to consult the datasheet and follow proper wiring diagrams to ensure safe and efficient operation.

Back