Load on leaf blower as function of outlet shape

In summary: I'll try to break it down.If the kinetic head increases to the total available head at the contraction, the static head must become increasingly negative (gage pressure) as we progress in the direction of flow such that the available head at a certain position is conserved.In summary, a leaf blower would see a different load (in terms of back pressure and flow) depending on whether the outlet tube ends in, say a 1" nozzle, versus a flared out horn of 6" diameter.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Would a leaf blower see a different load (in terms of back pressure and flow) depending on whether the outlet tube ends in, say a 1" nozzle, versus a flared out horn of 6" diameter? I am not thinking of viscosity effects here, but rather of Bernoulli type considerations.

In the case of the horn, I believe Bernoulli leads to a sub-atmospheric pressure in the narrow part of the tube where it exits the blower proper. (Is that correct?) But I am not sure about the nozzle: Would the jet of air after leaving the nozzle effectively form a "virtual horn" spreading to a larger effective diameter, or would the physical tip of the nozzle see atmospheric pressure right away?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the exit pressure is atmospheric and yes, additional static pressure is needed, which is converted to dynamic pressure in the nozzle, pet Bernoulli.

Sorry, I'm not sure which part of your response refers to which part of my question -- maybe I should have made the questions clearer. My bad.

Here are the two cases :

1675857595100.jpeg

In the first case, define ##P_{NOZZLE}## as the pressure say 1 cm back from the tip of the spout. Will this be pretty close to atmospheric?

Define ##P_{BACK}## as the pressure at the center of the blower spout for both cases.

In the second case (with the horn attached), will ##P_{BACK}## be less than atmospheric by ##1/2 \rho v^2## ? In other words, will the blower see a lighter load with the horn attached?

Sorry, I read the OP backwards (the drawing helps), thinking it was a 6" duct with 1" nozzle.

But for a horn(diffuser) it is just the opposite. Bernoulli's principle still holds, so total pressure is the same at the mouth and back in the duct. So, working backwards the higher velocity pressure back in the duct means you have a lower and yes, potentially sub-atmospheric static pressure. The increase in the diffuser is often called "static regain".

Likes Swamp Thing
Bernoulli's is valid for what happens on a streamline (steady flow) for purely hypothetical inviscid flow, which approximates real viscous flow only over very short distances. I don't believe (could be wrong) sub-atmospheric pressure in the discharge is a possible result here for any real leaf blower.

Working with inviscid flow, the leaf blower can supply any flow you desire at zero differential pressure across a straight tube. So, if you are beginning at the nozzle entrance at atmospheric pressure, and the duct is converging then you could get any sub-atmospheric nozzle exit pressure you desire...

Bernoulli's has limited applicability; this is not one of the applications for which it works to give meaningful results IMO. I think we have to look at it in a framework which at the very least considers viscosity. I would like to see that kind of an analysis before I change my mind.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
erobz said:
Working with inviscid flow, the leaf blower can supply any flow you desire at zero differential pressure across a straight tube. So, if you are beginning at the nozzle entrance at atmospheric pressure, and the duct is converging then you could get any sub-atmospheric nozzle exit pressure you desire...
How would that be physically possible? It sounds like you are describing the suction side of the fan having a higher pressure than the discharge.

russ_watters said:
How would that be physically possible? It sounds like you are describing the suction side of the fan having a higher pressure than the discharge.
Yeah, inviscid flow...where Bernoulli's is applicable produces absurd results:

If I have a straight (horizontal) section of pipe, one end open to atmospheric conditions and inviscid flow and we apply Bernoulli's we get for the pipe ##\Delta P = 0 ## across the pipe independent of flowrate in the pipe.

In otherwords it fails pretty spectacularly at describing reality.

To me it doesn't make sense that some point (in either nozzle) the SP could dip below atmospheric pressure. It can go sub inlet-pressure at some point in either nozzle, but that is not sub atmospheric pressure. The exit ( of discharge side) being maintained a 0 gage implies the pressure at any location inside the pipe for any real viscous flow be greater than atmospheric (as far as I can tell).

Last edited:
After much back and forth with myself and my fluids textbook I have changed my mind. It can happen.

1675902263418.png

This is how cavitation can occur in a system. It slipped my mind because usually we are concerned with cavitation on the suction side of pumps, but it can occur on discharge side in scenarios like above.

Hopefully the diagram shows that if the kinetic head increases to the total available head at the contraction, the static head must become increasingly negative (gage pressure) as we progress in the direction of flow such that the available head at a certain position is conserved.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Likes russ_watters and Swamp Thing
erobz said:
After much back and forth with myself and my fluids textbook I have changed my mind. It can happen.

I've been going back and forth as well (rereading my posts, I'm arguing against myself). What I think happens on a nuts and bolts level is the centrifugal fan throwing the air out is effectively pulling the molecules apart, and providing velocity pressure in part at the expense of static pressure.

Either that or the system must be exceptionally lossy (which it may also be).

erobz said:

View attachment 321962

This is how cavitation can occur in a system. It slipped my mind because usually we are concerned with cavitation on the suction side of pumps, but it can occur on discharge side in scenarios like above.

Hopefully the diagram shows that if the kinetic head increases to the total available head at the contraction, the static head must become increasingly negative (gage pressure) as we progress in the direction of flow such that the available head at a certain position is conserved.

Are you describing a thick orifice inserted into a pipe.

256bits said:
Are you describing a thick orifice inserted into a pipe.
I wasn't trying to describe any specific geometry in particular. Its was just an example of how the pressure could be reduced below atmospheric in a flow.

Likes 256bits
'Eductors' operate (very well) on this principle.

Likes erobz

1. What is the relationship between outlet shape and load on a leaf blower?

The outlet shape of a leaf blower can greatly affect the amount of load or pressure that is generated. A more narrow and tapered outlet will create a higher load, while a wider and more open outlet will result in a lower load.

2. How does the shape of the outlet affect the efficiency of a leaf blower?

The shape of the outlet can greatly impact the efficiency of a leaf blower. A well-designed outlet that is shaped to create a smooth and focused airflow will result in higher efficiency and better performance.

3. Can the load on a leaf blower be adjusted by changing the outlet shape?

Yes, the load on a leaf blower can be adjusted by changing the outlet shape. By altering the shape of the outlet, you can control the amount of pressure and airflow that is produced, thus adjusting the load on the leaf blower.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the load on a leaf blower besides the outlet shape?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact the load on a leaf blower, such as the speed of the motor, the size and design of the impeller, and the overall design and construction of the leaf blower. However, the outlet shape is a significant factor in determining the load.

5. How can I determine the best outlet shape for my leaf blower?

The best outlet shape for a leaf blower will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user. It is recommended to experiment with different outlet shapes and observe the resulting performance to determine the most suitable shape for your leaf blower.