Load resistance in voltage regulator

In summary: IZ0, and in the other you are recognising that the current IZ0 causes a drop in the resistor RZ.In summary, we are trying to find the minimum resistance RL in order to maintain a specific voltage Vz across the zener diode. There are two methods being considered, one involving the Thevenin voltage of the diode and the other using the assumption that the maximum current through the load corresponds to the minimum current through the zener diode. The second method seems to give a more accurate result, taking into account the voltage drop across the diode.
archaic

Homework Statement

RxRKN.png
[/B]
I want to find the minimum resistance ##R_L## so as to maintain ##V_z##(voltage of the zener corresponding to the minimum current ##I_{z_0}##) across the same resistor ##R_L##.

Homework Equations

##V_z##(voltage of the zener corresponding to the minimum current ##I_{z_0}##)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two ways of looking at this, one of them is wrong and I need your help to figure it out!

First, I take off the diode as the load and find thevenin voltage, ##V_{th}=\frac{R_L}{R_l+R_s}V_s##, and since ##V_{th}=V_{R_L}## I'll equate it with ##V_z## which gives ##\frac{R_L}{R_L+R_S}V_S=V_z## thus ##R_L=\frac{R_S.V_z}{V_S-V_z}##

Second, If ##R_L##is minimal then ##I_L## passing through it would be maximal and ##I_{z_0}## minimal thus we'd have ##I_S = I_L+I_{z_0} \Leftrightarrow \frac{V_S-V_z}{R_S}=\frac{V_z}{R_L}+I_{z_0}\Leftrightarrow R_L=\frac{R_S.V_Z}{V_S-V_Z-R_S.I_{z_0}}##
(I'm skeptical concerning the implication ##I_L## maximal ##\Rightarrow## ##I_z## minimal, or in other words ##I_z = I_{z_0}##)

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• RxRKN.png
    RxRKN.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The premises of your second attempt seem ok, but I can't understand how you can ignore the zener in your first attempt. There must always be a current at least IZ0 in the diode, so that corresponds to a resistance in parallel with RL equal to VZ/IZ0. I'd have thought you need to take that into account either as part of the load, or as part of the source.

Likes DaveE and archaic
Merlin3189 said:
The premises of your second attempt seem ok, but I can't understand how you can ignore the zener in your first attempt. There must always be a current at least IZ0 in the diode, so that corresponds to a resistance in parallel with RL equal to VZ/IZ0. I'd have thought you need to take that into account either as part of the load, or as part of the source.
Hm I guess instead of ##V_z## it should be ##V_z+r_zI_{z_0}## right? i.e I am considering the minimum Thevenin voltage for the diode to let current flow.

I assumed we were supposed to consider VZ fixed, since it looked like a constant
But if you wish to use a more accurate model of the zener, you have the right form.

The calculation with method 2 also seems to work out right.

I'm not familiar with the notation of the zener model, so whether the closer expression should be ## V_Z + r_Z I_{Z0} \ \ or \ \ V_{Z0} + r_Z I_{Z0} ## I don't know. This would be in the Data and Relevant formulae, I think.it won't make much difference

Likes archaic

1. What is load resistance in a voltage regulator?

Load resistance in a voltage regulator refers to the electrical resistance of the load connected to the output of the regulator. This load resistance determines the amount of current that can flow through the regulator and affects the output voltage.

2. How does load resistance affect the output voltage of a voltage regulator?

The output voltage of a voltage regulator is inversely proportional to the load resistance. This means that as the load resistance increases, the output voltage decreases and vice versa. A higher load resistance can cause a larger voltage drop, resulting in a lower output voltage.

3. What is the ideal load resistance for a voltage regulator?

The ideal load resistance for a voltage regulator depends on the specific regulator and its intended use. In general, a load resistance that is too high can cause a significant voltage drop, while a load resistance that is too low can cause the regulator to overheat and potentially fail. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for the recommended load resistance for a particular voltage regulator.

4. How can I calculate the load resistance for a voltage regulator?

The load resistance for a voltage regulator can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current (R=V/I). This means that the load resistance can be determined by dividing the output voltage by the desired output current. It is important to note that the load resistance may vary depending on the type and number of loads connected to the regulator's output.

5. Can a voltage regulator function without a load resistance?

No, a voltage regulator cannot function properly without a load resistance. The load resistance is necessary for the regulator to regulate the output voltage and prevent it from exceeding its maximum limit. Without a load resistance, the regulator can potentially become damaged or fail due to an unstable output voltage.